Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Naturalhoosier

Book Thread

I've been using the Good Reads app to track my reading and books.

I just finished Tripwire and started reading The Girl on the Train.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners
I like my good reads app. It helps me keep track of all my books. Have you ever gone to the website? They have giveaways. You can sign up for a free book. If your name is chosen, you pay shipping. I've won 2 books so far, one on the battle at Chosin and one on Vietnam

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Okay boys and girls, I've gone back and compiled a list of books and authors that have been mentioned in this thread and I'm sure I missed several along the way but still have over 80 authors.   In many cases, I've made a note of who recommended a particular book so anyone interested could PM that btb member and get more information if they wish.  Also tried to give an indication of what the book is about but I wouldn't be overly reliant on my subjective description.  And many don't have a description because I just wasn't sure how to describe them.   I can publish a list by title, by author -- what would be the most beneficial?

Okay boys and girls, I've gone back and compiled a list of books and authors that have been mentioned in this thread and I'm sure I missed several along the way but still have over 80 authors.   In many cases, I've made a note of who recommended a particular book so anyone interested could PM that btb member and get more information if they wish.  Also tried to give an indication of what the book is about but I wouldn't be overly reliant on my subjective description.  And many don't have a description because I just wasn't sure how to describe them.   I can publish a list by title, by author -- what would be the most beneficial?

I don't care what the rest of the BTownBanner community says about you Old Fart, you're a good dude. I would vote by author.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I like my good reads app. It helps me keep track of all my books. Have you ever gone to the website? They have giveaways. You can sign up for a free book. If your name is chosen, you pay shipping. I've won 2 books so far, one on the battle at Chosin and one on Vietnam

Ive never been to their website. Thanks for the info. Which books on the battle at Chosin and Vietnam? Loved Col. Hackworth's Steel my soldiers heart. I read that book during an exercise in Korea, sitting in an HMMWV in the middle of the night with full battle rattle on. Good times!

Ive never been to their website. Thanks for the info. Which books on the battle at Chosin and Vietnam? Loved Col. Hackworth's Steel my soldiers heart. I read that book during an exercise in Korea, sitting in an HMMWV in the middle of the night with full battle rattle on. Good times!

Check out this book on Goodreads: On Desperate Ground: The Marines at The Reservoir, the Korean War's Greatest Battle http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/37922709-on-desperate-ground

Check out this book on Goodreads: Vietnam: An Epic Tragedy, 1945-1975 http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/36099654-vietnam

Check out this book on Goodreads: On Desperate Ground: The Marines at The Reservoir, the Korean War's Greatest Battle http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/37922709-on-desperate-ground

Check out this book on Goodreads: Vietnam: An Epic Tragedy, 1945-1975 http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/36099654-vietnam

Thanks, I have them both in Goodreads now. Think I'll read another book or two before starting back on the Reacher series.

The votes are in, tabulated and doublechecked for hanging chads and with a final tally of 1-0, here's a list by author.  Many of the authors don't have a specific title because they are so prolific and have so many books about a specific character, i.e., Lee Child and his Jack Reacher series.  Also, the "What's It About" needs lots of work and some of the descriptions I used I'm sure are inaccurate so let me know and I'll make changes accordingly.   

As of 06 August 2018

Author Title - Abbreviated in Some cases Recommended By What's It About
Abercrombie, Joe First Law Trilogy (The) Uspshoosier Fantasy
Baldacci, David      
Berntsen, Gary Jawbreaker:  The Attack on Bin Laden & Al-Qaeda HoosierAloha Start of the war in Afghanistan
Berry, Steve   iufaninillinois  
Bowen, Rhys In Farleigh Field iufaninillinois Novel set in England during WW II
Box, C. J. Joe Pickett Series iufaninillinois Wyoming Game Warden
Brown, Dan      
Buck, Rinker Oregon Trail (The) RatpigHoosier Modern day 2,000 mile trip by covered wagon
Bush, George W. Decision Points Naturalhoosier Autobiographical
Caey, Elle Apocalypsis Series Mamasa Post-apocalyptic 
Card, Orson Scott Folk of the Fringe (The) MartintheMopMan Prolific author
Cash, Johnny Cash JSHoosier Autobiographical
Child, Lee Jack Reacher Series   Lone Wolf Good Samaritan
Ching, G. P. Soulkeepers Series  Mamasa Post-apocalyptic 
Coel, Margaret Eagle Catcher (The) iufaninillinois Mystery set on an Arapahoe Reservation
Cussler, Clive   iufaninillinois  
Dexter, Colin Inspector Morse Series Class of '66 Old Fart British Police Detective
DiCamillo, Kate Because of Winn-Dixie HooHooHoo22  
Edsel, Robert M Monuments Men Naturalhoosier  
Flynn, Vince Mitch Rapp Series   Government agent/assassin
Follett, Ken   iufaninillinois  
Forstchen, William R. John Matherson Series HoosierAloha Post-Apocolyptic
French, Katie Breeders (The) Mamasa  
Garfield, Brian Thousand Mile War (The) HoosierReb01 WW  II in Alaska & Aleutians
Gawande, Atul   OliviaPope40  
Goodwin, Doris Kearns Team of Rivals OliviaPope40 Historical - Abraham Lincoln
Gordon, Jon Energy Bus (The) OliviaPope40 Self-Help
Gordon, Nathan    Alaska Hoosier Interrogation book author
Grant, Michael Gone Series Mamasa  
Hackworth, Col.  David H. Steel My Soldiers' Heart HoosierAloha Vietnam War tactics
Haggard, Merle My House of Memories HoosierReb01 Autobiographical
Hastings, Max Vietnam:  An Epic Tragedy, 1945-1975 iufaninillinois  
Hicks, D. C. Catching The Westbound Mamasa  
Hobb, Robin Farseer Trilogy rcs29 Fantasy
Howey, Hugh Wool Series (The) Mamasa Post-apocalyptic thriller
Howey, Hugh Silo Series (The)   Sci-Fi
Hunter, Georgia We Were the Lucky Ones HoosierAloha Jewish family in Poland during WW II
Iles, Greg Natchez Burning Trilogy iufaninillinois  
Iles, Greg Penn Gage Series iufaninillinois  
Irving, Nicholas Reaper (The) Dalton26 Special Ops memoir
Jeter, Derek Game Day JSHoosier Autobiographical
Jordan, Robert Wheel of Time (The) Series johnsoniu Fantasy
Kershaw, Ian End (The) Brass Cannon Historical - Fall of the Third Reich
King, Stephen      
Knight, Bob My Story JSHoosier Autobiographical
Knight, Bob Power of Negative Thinking (The) JSHoosier  
Koontz, Dan (not Dean) I.P.O. (The)  Mamasa  
Leavy, Jane Last Boy (The) JSHoosier Mickey Mantle 
Luttrell, Marcus Lion of Sabray (The) HoosierAloha Fact based by former Seal Team 10 member
Luttrell, Marcus Lone Survivor Naturalhoosier  
Maberry, Jonathan Joe Ledger Series Naturalhoosier Government agent/assassin
Mann, Don Hunt the Wolf HoosierAloha Mitch Rapp/Pike Logan knockoff
Marlantes, Karl Matterhorn:  A Novel of the Vietnam War HoosierAloha  
Mather, Mathew CyberStorm Stromboli Post-Apocalyptic
McCarthy, Cormac Road (The) Naturalhoosier Post-Apocalyptic
McDermott, Andy   iufaninillinois  
Millard, Candice Destiny of the Republic OliviaPope40 Presidency of James A. Garfield
Moyes, Jojo Me Before You OliviaPope40  
O'Connor, Ian Captain (The) JSHoosier Derek Jeter
O'Neill, Robert The Operator:  Firing the Shots That Killed bin Laden HoosierAloha Fact based by former Special Ops member
O'Reilly, Bill Killing Series Naturalhoosier  
Parker, Robert B. Spenser Series Class of '66 Old Fart  
Peterson, Jordan 12 Rules for Life Joe DeLow Self-Help
Riddle, A. G. Pandemic iufaninillinois Conspiracy thriller
Riddle, A. G. Atlantis Series Naturalhoosier Sci-Fi
Rollins, James   iufaninillinois  
Romesha, Clinton Red Platoon:  A True Story of American Valor Alaska Hoosier Battle of Keating in Afghanistan
Rosenberg, Joel Escape from Auschwitz iufaninillinois Fiction
Roth, Veronica Divergent Series Mamasa  
Sides, Hampton On Desperate Ground iufaninillinois Non-fiction Korean War
Sledge, E. B. With the Old Breed:  At Peleliu & Okinawa Hovadipo WW II in the Pacific
Snow, Richard Iron Dawn Brass Cannon Naval History:  Monitor vs. Merrimack
Stanton, Doug Horse Soldiers HoosierAloha Special Forces in Afghanistan 
Stirling, S. M. Dies The Fire Stromboli Post-Apocalyptic
Taylor, Brad Pike Logan Series HoosierAloha Government agent/assassin
Taylor, Corey A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Heaven MrYuk Experiences with the paranormal
Taylor, Corey Seven Deadly Sins MrYuk Self expose' of a sinner
This Town This Town OliviaPope40 Funny portrait of Wash. D.C.
Thor, Brad Scott Harvath Series   Government agent/assassin
Toll, Ian Pacific Crucible Brass Cannon WW II in the Pacific
Toll, Ian Six Frigates Brass Cannon Founding of the U. S. Navy
Twomey, Steve Countdown to Pearl Harbor:  12 Days Till the Attack hoosierbannerd  
Uris, Leon Battle Cry iufaninillinois Novel of marines in WW II
Vogt, Tobias Iron Men of Metz Mamasa 95th Infantry Division in WW II
White, Ronald C. American Ulysses iufaninillinois Biography of President U. S. Grant
Wolf, Warner Let's Go To The Videotape JSHoosier Sports humor and anectdotes
Yousafzai, Malala I Am Malala HoosierAloha Youngest Nobel Peace Prize recipient
Zuckoff, Mitchell Lost in Shangri-La Naturalhoosier  

The Mitch Rapp series by Vince Flynn and the Pike Logan series by Brad Taylor are excellent as well.

I have all of Vince Flynn's books. His book Term Limits is one of my favorites.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Can’t believe I never recommended The Martian by Andy Weir. Even if you saw the movie it’s well worth the read. My favorite sci fi novel written since I became a preteen

I really liked that book.  Good recommendation!!!  The Book was better than the movie, but the movie was awesome.

I'm reading Washington's Spies by Alexander Rose.  Solid book.  Really interesting.  I'm not too far in but the stories are awesome.  It's a slower read (for me anyway) due to the depth of detail and late 1700s verbiage.  Apparently it was turned into a series on AMC called Turn.  Haven't seen it yet, but heard it's a worthwhile series to take in.

34 minutes ago, Naturalhoosier said:

I really liked that book.  Good recommendation!!!  The Book was better than the movie, but the movie was awesome.

I'm reading Washington's Spies by Alexander Rose.  Solid book.  Really interesting.  I'm not too far in but the stories are awesome.  It's a slower read (for me anyway) due to the depth of detail and late 1700s verbiage.  Apparently it was turned into a series on AMC called Turn.  Haven't seen it yet, but heard it's a worthwhile series to take in.

Yep one of the best movie book combos I have ever experienced.  American psycho is up there too. 

Havent read the book. But The Turn tv series is amazing. Pretty consistent quality throughout the series also. I love the depiction of Washington in the series. 

If you are feeling more about that period try out Almost a Miracle by John Ferling. All about how the US was able to pull off the revolution. 

9 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Yep one of the best movie book combos I have ever experienced.  American psycho is up there too. 

Havent read the book. But The Turn tv series is amazing. Pretty consistent quality throughout the series also. I love the depiction of Washington in the series. 

If you are feeling more about that period try out Almost a Miracle by John Ferling. All about how the US was able to pull off the revolution. 

Appreciated. I'll add it to my list. We did a family vacation to Colonial Williamsburg/Yorktown so I've been on. Revolutionary War kick.