Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

Is Coach Mallory Gone Soon?

I could see if Mallory is kept on, which I'm record as saying I think will happen, that the "logic" behind it is that we were still too young and lacking talent to be better and that more talent and more experience will fix our problems.  We had all better hope and pray that is accurate because I believe that is the path we are heading down.  

I want Mallory gone too, but I'm starting to gear my thoughts regarding him toward, "let's hope he can figure this out," as opposed to "let's hope he gets fired," because I just don't see that happening. 

At the very least we need to see better fundamentals and fewer blown assignments.  Some things you can control.  Missed tackles and blown assignments are controllable.  Gap discipline, etc.  Getting flat out beat because the other guy is bigger and stronger, that happens.  But don't beat yourself.  The biggest improvement this defense can make is to stop beating themselves so much.  Also our front 7 needs to become a much bigger factor.  Get in the backfield, disrupt plays.  Maybe another year of maturity helps in this process?  I sure hope so. 

Looking forward to seeing some good, solid football conversation here. 

The thing I'm most concerned about is the lack of improvement. Not just from one year to the next, but within a single season. There should be some measureable improvement in fundamentals or execution regardless of whom you start. Our defense just hasn't shown it. People like to say that our offense scores so fast that the defense spends a lot of time on the field. Ok, I'll give you that. But one would think that just by being of the field of play that much, and through sheer repetition, we'd have seen them get better at something over the course of the season. One can say that Mallory was coerced in to using more freshman than usual in an effort to field more talent, fair enough. But did that talent improve at all? Can we say this defense is any better today than they were when camp opened last summer? I don't see it, I don't sense it, and I don't believe it has.

The offense, while productive as hell, isn't unstoppable. Clearly, when our competition has been subpar, we've flown up and own the field. But Wisconsin didn't have an issue stopping us. We didn't score at Ohio State until the fourth quarter when arguably, down 35-0, they put their scrubs in against our first team offense. We were steady, but hardly overwhelming against Michigan State. Do we really think we'd be able to put up big numbers against an Alabama, Auburn, or LSU? What about Florida State or Oklahoma?

Point being that our offense is top shelf only against mid level talent. It gets more positive reviews simply because it can put up some big numbers in those situations. Our running game is average at best, and benefits greatly from the passing game. But lets not kid ourselves. We would have to have a GREAT defense just to be competitive in a game against any of those teams mentioned above, because our offense would be shut down. I really wonder if Coach Wilson is the answer? There's a reason he was a coordinator for years, and not a HC, and I think we're beginning to see why.

Good way to look at our offense True. The gaudy numbers are all primarily out up against less than stellar teams. Against our best opponents we couldn't move the ball. I don't think CKW is even remotely on the hot seat right now as this is a process. The talent level in Bloomington is reaching it's peak for my lifetime.

The defense is obviously a concern and the lack of moves so far is confusing. Maybe CKW did make Mallory play younger players and that's what's in his head. Unfortunately that isn't the case and Mallory has a history of horrible defenses as our article pointed out in grave detail. This whole thing pretty much sums up Indiana Football.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Who are some people you guys would like to see replace Mallory?

Anyone, anywhere, who has ever been associated with football whose name is not Doug Mallory.

Welcome to the board and congrats on getting into the  Kelley School of Business.

Here's a link to a thread we had on possible DC replacements     link

Who are some people you guys would like to see replace Mallory?

I think each year there are several dissillusioned NFL position coaches or even DC's that would be worth considering. In many cases, they'd be high profile personalities, and they'd be better suited for evaluating talent at the collegiate level. My guess is that you could look at various teams who're out of contention for the play-offs, and who because the head coach may soon be gone, might yield some good candidates. Minnesota, St. Louis, Jacksonville, Tampa Bay, Atlanta, numerous others. For instance, if Mike Singletary isn't retained as part of the imminent blood letting in Minnesota, he might be a good one to approach as DC. He has head coaching experience, asst. head coaching experience, is tough as nails, is a recognizable name, and would instantly bring credibility to the program. Recruiting would also get a boost. I'm not saying IU would ever, or could ever afford him. I'm not saying he'd ever consider IU. I'm only using him as an example of what one might consider as an alternative to Mallory. Then again, we could also hire a high school janitor, and have a similar upgrade at the position.

Anyone, anywhere, who has ever been associated with football whose name is not Doug Mallory.

Welcome to the board and congrats on getting into the  Kelley School of Business.

Here's a link to a thread we had on possible DC replacements     link

Thanks a lot johnsoniu! This board is really great, I'm super happy I finally found an active IU forum with a good set up... Look forward to cheering on the Hoosiers with you guys. 

I think each year there are several dissillusioned NFL position coaches or even DC's that would be worth considering. In many cases, they'd be high profile personalities, and they'd be better suited for evaluating talent at the collegiate level. My guess is that you could look at various teams who're out of contention for the play-offs, and who because the head coach may soon be gone, might yield some good candidates. Minnesota, St. Louis, Jacksonville, Tampa Bay, Atlanta, numerous others. For instance, if Mike Singletary isn't retained as part of the imminent blood letting in Minnesota, he might be a good one to approach as DC. He has head coaching experience, asst. head coaching experience, is tough as nails, is a recognizable name, and would instantly bring credibility to the program. Recruiting would also get a boost. I'm not saying IU would ever, or could ever afford him. I'm not saying he'd ever consider IU. I'm only using him as an example of what one might consider as an alternative to Mallory. Then again, we could also hire a high school janitor, and have a similar upgrade at the position.

Interesting. I would think maybe CWK would look towards someone from the Stoops coaching tree he may have been on the same staff as. 

I think I have good news. Circle Dec 19th 2013 on your calendar.

I looked back at the LSU boards in 2008 and they looked a lot like ours now. Interestingly he was not fired officially in '08 because he moved on to the Lobos. I found an article though where Mallory admitted he did not really have a spot as DC with LSU if he did not move on. Fast forward to 2010 and the Lobos and again with a defense that is getting worse Mallory moves on this time to IU without being fired I believe.

The announcements occurred on almost the same date (Dec 17th and Dec 18th) just 2 years apart. So this got me thinking...I noticed a lot of our '14 recruits have been turning in paperwork recently to enrol early and I wonder if the previous Mallory exits weren't strategically timed. Combine the early enrollment a with keeping kids committed and I am thinking/hoping we have not heard an announcemt because we (IU and Mallory) are both taking a look without giving fuel to others to poach our kids until a DC is named.

Mallory is probably a like able guy and works favorably on his exit so I could see why he might travel on recruiting visits. Then on Dec 19th 2013 when we announce that Mallory has accepted some coaching job somewhere that is spun into a believable story and also announce the hiring of a new DC we do not lose ground with recruits.
We should hear something in a week and a half

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Thats very interesting, not that I know much about the situation but hopefully for the good of the program it happens as you predict. Not that it will ever happen, but Bo Pelini would be a great hire. I doubt anyone will touch him if Nebraska drops him because of his anger problems. Maybe Mark Mangino if he wants to get back into coaching. I'd definitely like to see a big name hire that would get recruits excited. 

Can they hire me? My run defenses are always some of the best in the country on Xbox! I'm also good at running aggressive safety blitz's and having pass rushes which are extremely consistent with getting to the QB!

From the chatter on here I would be a huge upgrade over Mallory!

Can they hire me? My run defenses are always some of the best in the country on Xbox! I'm also good at running aggressive safety blitz's and having pass rushes which are extremely consistent with getting to the QB!

From the chatter on here I would be a huge upgrade over Mallory!

My dog would be a huge upgrade over Mallory, and my dog is dead.

I'd like to see IU either land someone like Mangino, someone with experience coaching and a dynamic recruiter but a more realistic option is IMO pursuing a position coach at a big midwestern school like Michigan, OSU, or Notre Dame and promoting him to DC. Like Mike Elston the DL coach at ND or Kerry Cooks the CB coach at ND. Someone at these 3 schools are likely to have connections to midwest power house high schools and might take a promotion. 

Much like everyone else, I have been thinking about this a lot and if what is being reported is true is that Mallory is out with CKW recruting, then my best guess is that he is not going to be fired (I wish that I had a job that I could perform so pooerly at and still keep it!) 

I think that IU will have a new DC come next year, but I think that Mallory will still be on staff and have to take a demotion to a position coach, which while not best, I could still live with, which is why he is still out recruiting.  Considering his past performance, where is the guy really going to go, D2? 

The other thing being, I am not so sure that IU wants to burn the Mallory bridge.  That is my nest guess...otherwise either he has something on someone in the AD or the Administration and is threatening to expose them or Bill is paying for his salary to keep him on staff.

I am officially concerned that Mallory still has the DC job at Indiana. Everyday that goes by and he is still employed leads me to believe his job will somehow be spared and we will start the cycle all over again that we have accepted for years. Each April we get excited about spring football and what potential recruits will bring to the table next year. We then convince ourselves that we are going to contend this year as we have numerous offensive weapons that it will create the break out year. The seasons starts and we beat the crap out of 3 or 4 poor quality teams...we feel like this is the year then the Big Ten season starts and we give up 48, 42, and 56 points and we grumble here about how we just seem to get a good defensive effort. IT'S BECAUSE WE HAVE A POOR DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR. Many FBS schools fire their DC'S each year and the following year they see substantial improvement on the defensive side of the ball. WHY THE HELL CAN WE NEVER SEEM TO DO THIS? UGH!

Diaco (DC for ND) is likely going to become the next UConn coach... May be a good time to pick some of the defensive staff from there... Fingers crossed