Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
Ryno6284

Question about Dan Hurley

I wasn’t going to plug up the coaching carousel with this so I started a new topic. Does he have more pressure now that he won back to back championships, or does he get wiggle room if they falter in upcoming years?  Will the fan base expect to be in a final four every year or will first weekend exits be okay?

10 minutes ago, Ryno6284 said:

I wasn’t going to plug up the coaching carousel with this so I started a new topic. Does he have more pressure now that he won back to back championships, or does he get wiggle room if they falter in upcoming years?  Will the fan base expect to be in a final four every year or will first weekend exits be okay?

I'm sure he's bought himself plenty of leeway.

Not sure he'll need it as I see the same trajectory as Coach K and Duke had.They may be the new dynasty.

Hurley is the new era of college basketball coach. He embodies what it is to be a college coach in todays era. He just wins and wins in spectacular fashion. As @Hovadipo said, if they have any sense they will give him full reign (if they havent already). I will say that it will be hard to follow up 2 back to back championships. But Uconn is blessed to have a coach of his caliber. 

38 minutes ago, Ryno6284 said:

2 things, though Home Jersey is the guy on this subject, no question: 1) The UConn fanbase has always struck me as a really, really good one. They're insane without being, ya know, INSANE. 2) There's a saying in the car business that there's an a$$ for every seat. There isn't a better fit in the country than this one. I hope the dude never leaves.

I agree with Demo that UConn fans are, by and large, an insane fan base that isn't ACTUALLY insane. 

For the most part, fans understood the rebuild he had in front of him the first two years. Most gave him slack. There are always a vocal few fans that will be dissatisfied. The next two years were better and he had the loyalty of a majority of the fanbase, but the vocal minority was growing more curious. After these two chips, their forum that I read basically has every fan over the moon as you can imagine. The only complaint I've seen about him has been responding to opposing fans that are antagonizing him. The basketball part, you pretty much can't take issue with. He's not going to get run out of town at any point is my belief. 

Which leads me to my next thought... the whole UK deal shows Hurley won't be swayed by money for himself. His wife's preference to be in the northeast makes that unlikely to ever change. Therefore, I think he could be at UConn for a very long time and the fanbase would certainly give him plenty of leeway. They're expecting to be competitive again next year despite losing so much, but most fans acknowledge 3 in a row would be a straight greedy expectation. At the same time... the prevailing attitude seems to be "never say never"

The only way I see him potentially leaving are conference realignment diminishing UConn to the point he feels he can no longer be nationally competitive. OR the administration blinks when asked to up the investment in NIL/assistant coaches, etc... That would piss Dan off to no end and I think would make him open to going elsewhere. Doesn't sound like UConn's administration will let that happen any time soon though.

Another fun angle on this... St. Anthony's pretty much never sent kids to UConn. People have speculated that is because Bob Sr. thought Jim Calhoun was an a$$. Dan tells a story about Jim chewing him out when he complained about the state of the program after first taking over... Given how crazy he is + the alleged history between Calhoun and his father, I honestly believe there is a little added personal motivation for Danny to re-write their history books and be the indisputable best HC in mens program history there.

On 4/12/2024 at 9:29 AM, Home Jersey said:

Jim Calhoun was an a$$.

Always struck me as true!  He's probably still underrated at this point,  but much like Knight, he was never buddy-buddy with the media.  Often times he seemed openly antagonistic, again like Knight.  As such he never really seemed to get the fanfare guys like K, Williams,  and even Bohiem did.  It's interesting to me him and Hurley butt heads.  

1 hour ago, str8baller said:

Always struck me as true!  He's probably still underrated at this point,  but much like Knight, he was never buddy-buddy with the media.  Often times he seemed openly antagonistic, again like Knight.  As such he never really seemed to get the fanfare guys like K, Williams,  and even Bohiem did.  It's interesting to me him and Hurley butt heads.  

Very true, Calhoun always seemed like more of an after thought... even in the Northeast, he was more of an afterthought / never got the same kind of attention that Boeheim and Wright had. To be clear, it's Bob Sr. who allegedly has the issue with Calhoun, not Dan. 

It is very well known that Calhoun and Geno, the women's coach, hate each other. Dan Hurley has even said in media interviews during this last run that he wishes the women's team well and has huge respect for Geno, but "obviously have to watch what I say about him when Jim Calhoun is around." Or something to that affect. I have read on the UConn boards that apparently Calhoun is bothered by the fact Dan sometimes talks shop with Geno instead of going down the hall to his emeritus office or giving him a call. 

They keep it cordial in public but I don't think there's a very genuine or deep connection there. My favorite Calhoun moment, aside from the classic "Not a dime back" comment. 

8 minutes ago, Home Jersey said:

Very true, Calhoun always seemed like more of an after thought... even in the Northeast, he was more of an afterthought / never got the same kind of attention that Boeheim and Wright had. To be clear, it's Bob Sr. who allegedly has the issue with Calhoun, not Dan. 

It is very well known that Calhoun and Geno, the women's coach, hate each other. Dan Hurley has even said in media interviews during this last run that he wishes the women's team well and has huge respect for Geno, but "obviously have to watch what I say about him when Jim Calhoun is around." Or something to that affect. I have read on the UConn boards that apparently Calhoun is bothered by the fact Dan sometimes talks shop with Geno instead of going down the hall to his emeritus office or giving him a call. 

They keep it cordial in public but I don't think there's a very genuine or deep connection there. My favorite Calhoun moment, aside from the classic "Not a dime back" comment. 

Calhoun’s health is the word.