Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/indiana/2024/03/08/indiana-hoosiers-football-hall-of-famer-john-isenbarger-dies-1968-rose-bowl-iu-muncie/72893470007/

He led the Hoosiers in rushing and punting for three straight years and was drafted in the second round by San Francisco and played four seasons with the 49ers.

After football, he went into a career in sales and lived in Fishers.

On 4/2/2024 at 5:46 PM, cthomas said:

I'm not sure there has ever been a more exciting IU football team than the '67 Rose Bowl team. I was helping my dad harvest corn and listening to the IU / Purdue game on the radio. That goal line stand was incredible. I'm hoping that CCC can restore some of that magic.

Terry Cole right up the gut twice for long td runs.  

On 3/8/2024 at 11:17 AM, Stuhoo said:

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/indiana/2024/03/08/indiana-hoosiers-football-hall-of-famer-john-isenbarger-dies-1968-rose-bowl-iu-muncie/72893470007/

He led the Hoosiers in rushing and punting for three straight years and was drafted in the second round by San Francisco and played four seasons with the 49ers.

After football, he went into a career in sales and lived in Fishers.

I remember clearly the '68 Rose Bowl and that '67-'68 season. RIP John I.

Arrived in Bloomington for my freshman year in late '69.  Had a speech class with Jade Butcher in it.  Heard waaay too much about Tartan Turf, Astro Turf, sports management, and why he wanted to coach etc.  But his talks were better than mine.

Had season tickets to football and basketball.  Protested against the Vietnam War.  Practiced for the Little 500 but was injured in practice while switching riders.  It was a long way from Briscoe to Swain calculus classes. Lot closer to the basketball Field House and the stadium...and the pool at midnight.

Far out! 

2 hours ago, Dave from Dayton said:

I remember clearly the '68 Rose Bowl and that '67-'68 season. RIP John I.

Arrived in Bloomington for my freshman year in late '69.  Had a speech class with Jade Butcher in it.  Heard waaay too much about Tartan Turf, Astro Turf, sports management, and why he wanted to coach etc.  But his talks were better than mine.

Had season tickets to football and basketball.  Protested against the Vietnam War.  Practiced for the Little 500 but was injured in practice while switching riders.  It was a long way from Briscoe to Swain calculus classes. Lot closer to the basketball Field House and the stadium...and the pool at midnight.

Far out! 

Great memories for sure. I was at ISU as an undergraduate but was an IU fan from birth. ISU had astroturf on its football field and the IU team came to Terre Haute to practice on it. I wasn't on campus until graduate school in the spring of '76. All in all, a pretty good time to be there. I remember John I. had a tendency to take off running out of the punt formation. Thus the chant, " punt John punt". Great times.

37 minutes ago, RoadRage said:

Wasn't OJ Simpson the running back for USC in our Rose Bowl game?

Yes he was. As I remember, it was a close game. Maybe 14 to 3 off the top of my head. A pretty good defensive effort against a really talented offense by IU.