Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB @ Illinois - Saturday, 01.27.24 @ 3:00 ET on Fox TV

3 hours ago, Golfman25 said:

He'll need to go somewhere they don't care about defense.  :)  

No reason to act like he wouldn't have plenty of options. 

Especially with another year of training under his belt, he'd be a very appealing sophomore for a lot of teams. Ours included.

32 minutes ago, Home Jersey said:

No reason to act like he wouldn't have plenty of options. 

Especially with another year of training under his belt, he'd be a very appealing sophomore for a lot of teams. Ours included.

It’s kind of a joke. But D is clearly his weakness. At least in Woodson’s version. He frequently looks lost. 

Make no mistake.  I like the kid and support him.  But he’s no world beater at this point.  Could use a lot more experience and development.  He’s the kind of player that can be a core 4 year player, spending his first year coming off the bench and learning the college game.  He’s been thrust into starting due to our lack of depth. 

1 hour ago, Ngw7183 said:

Seems this is the new thing. The assumption Malik, MM etc are all transferring. Seeing it posted by the hour on social. Think it is NBA or back here. Lot to play out too with this back half. 

Now, I do think we might have a bigger departure of depth than I expected. Hope they have cash machine on overdrive. 

I know these kids want to win, dance and get a Championship and hit the NBA.  But a little reality is in order.  Could Malik go somewhere and be that missing piece that puts a team over the top?  Doubt it.  But he could be a solid contributor to any team.  Transferring doesn't guarantee a championship.  Would MM start on a champion caliber team?  I have my doubts.  If they think Woodson is providing positive guidance toward the next level and they are improving, staying is in their best interest.  TJD stuck around and may be the steal of the draft.   

8 hours ago, Ngw7183 said:

Seems this is the new thing. The assumption Malik, MM etc are all transferring.

It’s not just IU.  I think it’s the new landscape.  Nothing is guaranteed and projecting a roster for the next year for any college team isn’t ideal.    Creighton lost by 1 the Elite 8 last year and lost their starting  pg and wing to the transfer portal the next year.   They had a chance to bring pretty much everyone back from a team 2 points away from a final 4.  One went to Gonzaga and the other to Kansas St.  just my opinion but I won’t be surprised if any player on  any team leaves anymore from year to year especially since they won’t have to sit out.  Days of projecting a roster years down the road are over 

13 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

It’s not just IU.  I think it’s the new landscape.  Nothing is guaranteed and projecting a roster for the next year for any college team isn’t ideal.    Creighton lost by 1 the Elite 8 last year and lost their starting  pg and wing to the transfer portal the next year.   They had a chance to bring pretty much everyone back from a team 2 points away from a final 4.  One went to Gonzaga and the other to Kansas St.  just my opinion but I won’t be surprised if any player on  any team leaves anymore from year to year especially since they won’t have to sit out.  Days of projecting a roster years down the road are over 

Kind of unfortunate. It’s essentially free agency every year. 

10 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

Kind of unfortunate. It’s essentially free agency every year. 

Free agency with no rules. It is not sustainable.  NCAA has no choice but to move to a contract model.  Meaning players will contractually commit for a period of years.  So will teams.  Transfers, NBA, etc. will be governed by the contract. 

57 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Except for FAU, apparently.