Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

RaceToTheTop

The 'official redirected off-topic conversations from other threads' thread

I agree with this. No one needs to put cheese on their apple pie. WTF!! Who does that? Ice cream and cool whip are the only two correct answers and not really even cool whip.
Caramel syrup also is allowed

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

There is an old saying that apple pie without the cheese is like a kiss without the squeeze. 

I just read that cheese on apple pie probably originated in England back in the 1700's when dairy-based cream sauces were used on apple pie.  It may have morphed to cheddar or other cheese slices.  Makes sense to me because of the lack of the cost and effort to make ice cream in earlier times.  

Those of us that have read a little history have come to realize that cheese after dessert is considered a luxury in some places.  Makes sense to combine cheese and apple pie together with that perspective. And it lasts better on the pie on the sideboard than ice cream.  

In the south, some would likely be appalled using cheese on hot apple pie instead of ice cream.  Well, that may be in today's world.  Not likely as much if one sets the Waybac Machine to the 1840's.

Cheese slices and apple slices as part of a snack or part of lunch just is virtually a tradition in places.  If you never had cheddar cheese fondue with apple slices then you have missed out.  That and some Rose or Port or Rhum from St. Marteen.  

I know of a farming family west of Richmond IN that always offer cheese on apple pie. 

And ask servers in Haggarstown at the buffet if they serve it that way.

Personally, I don't do cheese on apple pie.  Give me a scoop of vanilla or Caramel swirl on that warm slice of pie. 

8 hours ago, Dave from Dayton said:

There is an old saying that apple pie without the cheese is like a kiss without the squeeze. 

I just read that cheese on apple pie probably originated in England back in the 1700's when dairy-based cream sauces were used on apple pie.  It may have morphed to cheddar or other cheese slices.  Makes sense to me because of the lack of the cost and effort to make ice cream in earlier times.  

Those of us that have read a little history have come to realize that cheese after dessert is considered a luxury in some places.  Makes sense to combine cheese and apple pie together with that perspective. And it lasts better on the pie on the sideboard than ice cream.  

In the south, some would likely be appalled using cheese on hot apple pie instead of ice cream.  Well, that may be in today's world.  Not likely as much if one sets the Waybac Machine to the 1840's.

Cheese slices and apple slices as part of a snack or part of lunch just is virtually a tradition in places.  If you never had cheddar cheese fondue with apple slices then you have missed out.  That and some Rose or Port or Rhum from St. Marteen.  

I know of a farming family west of Richmond IN that always offer cheese on apple pie. 

And ask servers in Haggarstown at the buffet if they serve it that way.

Personally, I don't do cheese on apple pie.  Give me a scoop of vanilla or Caramel swirl on that warm slice of pie. 

We have circled back to Welliver's (now Willie and Red's) in Hagerstown.