Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Lebowski

IUFB & The NIL Variable

Since we're watching players transfer out of IUFB this off season I thought I would bring up this website to provide a different point of view on how some of these players might be looking at choosing a school.

on3.com is ahead of the game by providing a NIL Valuation regarding a recruit/transfer. The site has a NIL 100 list as well. Currently the IUFB 2023 recruiting class is ranked last in the conference with an Avg. NIL Value of $8.2k. This avg surprisingly isn't ranked last. ILL and Maryland are tied at $7.1k and Rutgers is sitting at $8k. Top 5 are OSU - $98k, PSU - $50k, MSU - $47k, Iowa - $27k and UM - $22k just in case any of you are wondering. 

I'm not trying to promote the site. But since NIL is a brand new variable in the recruiting game I don't see why these valuations will pop up on various other sites and this will become a tool to use for the player to use during his/her recruitment.  

This is now part of recruiting and isn't going away unless things change at the legislative level. I don't have an opinion on whether or not NIL should be allowed; I just know it's here and part of recruiting. 

12 minutes ago, Lebowski said:

Since we're watching players transfer out of IUFB this off season I thought I would bring up this website to provide a different point of view on how some of these players might be looking at choosing a school.

on3.com is ahead of the game by providing a NIL Valuation regarding a recruit/transfer. The site has a NIL 100 list as well. Currently the IUFB 2023 recruiting class is ranked last in the conference with an Avg. NIL Value of $8.2k. This avg surprisingly isn't ranked last. ILL and Maryland are tied at $7.1k and Rutgers is sitting at $8k. Top 5 are OSU - $98k, PSU - $50k, MSU - $47k, Iowa - $27k and UM - $22k just in case any of you are wondering. 

I'm not trying to promote the site. But since NIL is a brand new variable in the recruiting game I don't see why these valuations will pop up on various other sites and this will become a tool to use for the player to use during his/her recruitment.  

This is now part of recruiting and isn't going away unless things change at the legislative level. I don't have an opinion on whether or not NIL should be allowed; I just know it's here and part of recruiting. 

What is the NIL value for the incoming class for the Campbell Fighting Camels? Because they apparently have better incoming recruits than us.

2 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

What is the NIL value for the incoming class for the Campbell Fighting Camels? Because they apparently have better incoming recruits than us.

Not necessarily true...they just have more recruits coming in than us. A major flaw in recruiting rankings. Our average star rating for our 10 commits puts us in the 40s-50s really.

1 minute ago, Hovadipo said:

Not necessarily true...they just have more recruits coming in than us. A major flaw in recruiting rankings. Our average star rating for our 10 commits puts us in the 40s-50s really.

We may need quantity.

Image of Yeah. [Man] We need the dues.

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

$6,600 per player:

Camel's Humps On The Back Stock Photo, Picture And Royalty Free Image.  Image 26520326.

vs

$8,200 per player:

image.jpeg

Keep in mind, these values are averages of the entire class. One recruit can really mess up the Avg. NIL Value (ANV). For Campbell it was a couple of recruits ($11.5k and $8.7k) that help jump the value and for IUFB it was one ($14.5k). Also these are just valuations. But what it really exposes is the lack of funds IUFB has or the amount of funds Campbell is willing to discuss during the recruitment. Either way it's part of the recruitment now. 

Make no mistake, if I'm a HC at a P5 school all of my recruiting efforts are going straight to the transfer portal. My entire roster will be built from the portal. My entire strategy would be using whatever type of NIL system the school setup, collectives in IU's case, and pimp the crap out of it in order to keep the money flowing. The school's NIL system would be priority number 1. Those running it or involved with it will be on the same page as me. They would know exactly how to raise and allocate the money. I would use the resources of the school to help facilitate it. I would try my darnedest to scoop up transfers the way Dasan McCullough did. And I would do it all within the rules of the NCAA. 

Also, the NCAA is in big trouble if this NIL trajectory continues. I could be wrong but man, money talks and NCAA bs rules walks. 

IUFB is in a tough spot with NIL. They’re a historically bad football team at a historically good basketball school. Alums/sponsors who care about IU athletics will just give the money to iubb players. For the price it would cost to field a competitive football team, we could buy an insane bball team. 

On 12/16/2022 at 6:32 PM, Hoosierfan2017 said:

IUFB is in a tough spot with NIL. They’re a historically bad football team at a historically good basketball school. Alums/sponsors who care about IU athletics will just give the money to iubb players. For the price it would cost to field a competitive football team, we could buy an insane bball team. 

There's some truth to what you're saying for sure.

However, sitting at 62 of the top 100 is probably IU's most marketable player at the school and it was Adidas (Notice there's another IUBB player in that deal) that inked the deal to help him make the list. Also on the list sitting at 91 is this cat. I have no doubt if IUFB produces a product worth watching there would be IUFB players on this list. Especially if Heisman is being discussed regarding the player. I would imagine Adidas jumping on that kind of opportunity. Could be wrong though. 

Adidas, Nike, Under Armor, etc. etc. see marketing dollar value for every contract they ink. And if I'm a HC, I fully understand this before I even start the job on day one. I don't talk or even suggest NIL. My folk running the collective/NIL program does though. They mention contracts from Adidas.  And the collective's staff is bigger than 2-10 employees. It's a well oiled machine. It keeps in touch with Adidas and Nike and fill in the blank. It understands how many Dasan McCullough jersey's are being sold and explains to Adidas the value of a player that was a true freshman and his market value at IUFB. And if Adidas doesn't listen I call Nike. So on and so forth. The collective fully understands that before I even take the HC job I fully comprehend coaching at IU is the relationship between the two of us. And the appeal to it. And if anyone associated to an IU collective is reading this, take notes. This will work only if everyone in the collective treats the collective as a fulltime job. 

1 hour ago, Lebowski said:

There's some truth to what you're saying for sure.

However, sitting at 62 of the top 100 is probably IU's most marketable player at the school and it was Adidas (Notice there's another IUBB player in that deal) that inked the deal to help him make the list. Also on the list sitting at 91 is this cat. I have no doubt if IUFB produces a product worth watching there would be IUFB players on this list. Especially if Heisman is being discussed regarding the player. I would imagine Adidas jumping on that kind of opportunity. Could be wrong though. 

Adidas, Nike, Under Armor, etc. etc. see marketing dollar value for every contract they ink. And if I'm a HC, I fully understand this before I even start the job on day one. I don't talk or even suggest NIL. My folk running the collective/NIL program does though. They mention contracts from Adidas.  And the collective's staff is bigger than 2-10 employees. It's a well oiled machine. It keeps in touch with Adidas and Nike and fill in the blank. It understands how many Dasan McCullough jersey's are being sold and explains to Adidas the value of a player that was a true freshman and his market value at IUFB. And if Adidas doesn't listen I call Nike. So on and so forth. The collective fully understands that before I even take the HC job I fully comprehend coaching at IU is the relationship between the two of us. And the appeal to it. And if anyone associated to an IU collective is reading this, take notes. This will work only if everyone in the collective treats the collective as a fulltime job. 

You need to have a player like Penix perform here before this can happen. The guy had to leave to reach his potential. Couldn’t come close here which is kinda the point 2017 mentioned.

1 hour ago, Alford Bailey said:

You need to have a player like Penix perform here before this can happen. The guy had to leave to reach his potential. Couldn’t come close here which is kinda the point 2017 mentioned.

I don't agree. This guy's valuation is higher than JHS (Also on Adidas contract) and Dasan McCullough. Penix's 2020 season alone would have been enough to get the proper attention in my opinion.

I do agree IUFB needs to produce in order for more attention. But that's the case for anything sports. Especially when money is involved. 

3 minutes ago, Lebowski said:

I don't agree. This guy's valuation is higher than JHS (Also on Adidas contract) and Dasan McCullough. Penix's 2020 season alone would have been enough to get the proper attention in my opinion.

I do agree IUFB needs to produce in order for more attention. But that's the case for anything sports. Especially when money is involved. 

How does that website calculate the valuations? Matthews had 224 receiving yards last year, so I’m surprised he’d be higher than McCullough.