Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

20 hours ago, TTT said:

Though T. Moren did not have elite level success nor name recognition she did have some success at both, Indianapolis and Indiana State for the athletes that she was coaching.  Both programs improved significantly under T. Moren.  Her biggest strengths were as player under Dunn and assistant coaching positions…Northwestern, Butler, and Georgia Tech.  I thought it was a very good hire at the time and I also at the time did not follow Ladies basketball that much.  And at the very beginning of T. Moren hire it was like instant coffee.  I started to follow IU Ladies basketball program.  She had been around the block some and I don’t think it was a lucky hire at all…it was a solid hire that I thought was at the very least very good.

We had a hole in the dike and it needed a quick plug.  I seriously doubt anyone at the time expected CTM to be more than a short term solution or to put IUWBB in the upper echelon of women's basketball.  Sometimes it's just better to be lucky than good notwithstanding any success she had at Indy or ISU.

1 hour ago, Aaron said:

In four years at Indiana State she never made the NCAA Tourney. Yes they got a lot better in that time, but to hire someone with that resume is really risky to a program with no previous success. Doesn't mean it couldn't work out (which it clearly has in a big way), but ask anyone at IU and I would expect they would tell you they were unsure if this would work given the desperation the hire was made with.

I could not be more thrilled but the reaction at the time from most people was "who is that?" and was more likely to fail then succeed. Even early in her tenure was up and down. Fortunately Indiana stuck with her and program has taken off but no one could have expected this a decade ago when she was brought in.    

There is a pretty big difference from just 10 years ago until today in college Ladies basketball.  There were a handful of elite programs but overall it was different than today.  Today, T. Moren hire would be a much more long shot.
I agree with you about the many things and individuals who said many negative things about T. Moren hire as evidenced by the old no longer discontinued IU blog that I posted on and of course highly criticized for stating it was one of the best hires at IU plus the Purdue connections.  Reasons I supported T. Moren hire:  1. Even then T. Moren was pretty well respected for much of her work for the level she worked in.  2.  Maybe biased but Lynn Dunn spoke highly of her.  3.  Indiana State coach at the time/ Greg Lansing stated in a positive way “Indiana has no idea of what they just hired as their women basketball coach.” 4.  T. Moren understood the whole Indiana basketball paradigm that existed.  5.  IU Ladies program was at a low point.  (and large numbers of elite recruits did not flock to Indiana and really still don’t though getting much much much better….working hard to get them).  
As evidenced (not just at IU) carries varying degrees of risk and so do recruits/players).

sidenote:  13 years at Tennessee before Pat Summitt won first National Championship.

This news is a day old, but I just saw that Kara Lawson turned down an interview at Tennessee and will stay at Duke. 

A bit surprising to me. I thought she'd be a slam-dunk to take the gig at her alma mater. 

Wow, those bitter as hell UConn WBB gatekeepers who really look for any reason at all to trash Clark have got to be choking right about now. You’ve got to be impressed with how hideous they are in that they’ve managed to make Clark a sympathetic figure.