Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2025) - G Meleek Thomas

Rob Cassidy on Thomas 

Five-star guard 

Meleek Thomas

is as well-traveled as any prospect in the 2025 class. The in-demand point guard has already logged a long list of visits, both official and unofficial, and now seems to be ready to polish off his summer travel itinerary with two important trips.

“I haven’t totally finalized the dates yet, but after talking to my family and my teammates and stuff, I’m pretty sure June 19-21 will be UConn and June 25-27 will be Arkansas,” Thomas said on Monday.

The two upcoming official visits seem vital to the five-star’s process, as his long-standing relationship with new Razorback head coach John Calipari and UConn’s pitch and pedigree make both programs serious players in Thomas’ recruitment – a recruitment the five-star says he hopes to have wrapped up prior to his senior season.

“At first, I was going to commit on Aug. 6 because I wanted to commit on my birthday, but then coaching changes and stuff happened so I had to push it back,” Thomas said. “I probably have to take a visit in August so it’s going to be maybe September now, but definitely before my senior season.”

According to Thomas, Pitt, Auburn, Kansas, Miami and Indiana join UConn and Arkansas as serious players in his process and he remains in contact with Kansas State and Alabama.

Hey partner, how much of Thomas have you seen in person? I've seen him once and the skills are off the charts. He's a text book combo guard and could easily duplicate a JHS type of performance at the point for us. However,  I didn't care much for the attitude he displayed on and off the court. I know he can co-exist with talent. Brandin Cummings was a senior this past year at Lincoln Park and they had tremendous chemistry sharing the point. 

I believe Kenya Hunter can land this young man. I don't think it will impede our Mullins situation either. 

What are your thoughts? 

46 minutes ago, BA47591 said:

Hey partner, how much of Thomas have you seen in person? I've seen him once and the skills are off the charts. He's a text book combo guard and could easily duplicate a JHS type of performance at the point for us. However,  I didn't care much for the attitude he displayed on and off the court. I know he can co-exist with talent. Brandin Cummings was a senior this past year at Lincoln Park and they had tremendous chemistry sharing the point. 

I believe Kenya Hunter can land this young man. I don't think it will impede our Mullins situation either. 

What are your thoughts? 

I'm not paying a great deal of attention to him despite us being referred to as a "serious player."    He is very talented but I just don't expect him in Bloomington unless it's on the visitor's side.   All FWIW.

9 minutes ago, BA47591 said:

Assuming it's a 4-5 class, what's your guess? 

He wants the ball and wants to play early. Perfectly reasonable. But, since he’s talking about a fall commit I can’t envision any remotely realistic scenario in which IU is his best fit. If he decides to wait until spring circumstances could change and maybe the fit comes together, but that’s not the timeline he’s laid out. 

2 hours ago, Demo said:

He wants the ball and wants to play early. Perfectly reasonable. But, since he’s talking about a fall commit I can’t envision any remotely realistic scenario in which IU is his best fit. If he decides to wait until spring circumstances could change and maybe the fit comes together, but that’s not the timeline he’s laid out. 

Good take. I think there's a world where Rice could be a late 1st rounder after this upcoming season. 

Rivals doing a countdown of it's 5-star rated players.

At No. 5 is SG Meleek Thomas (@ThomasMeleek)  “Thomas is a vocal on-court leader and one of the most charismatic prospects in American in addition to being one of the more well-rounded and high-upside players in this class. He took home mMost Outstanding Player honors at the recent Pangos All-American Camp after showing the ability to impact games as a sorcerer, rebounder, defender and facilitator. Few players in the Rivals150 can stuff a box score like Thomas, who is considering Auburn, Pitt, Arkansas, UConn, Miami and Indiana among others.”

2 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Rivals doing a countdown of it's 5-star rated players.

At No. 5 is SG Meleek Thomas (@ThomasMeleek)  “Thomas is a vocal on-court leader and one of the most charismatic prospects in American in addition to being one of the more well-rounded and high-upside players in this class. He took home mMost Outstanding Player honors at the recent Pangos All-American Camp after showing the ability to impact games as a sorcerer, rebounder, defender and facilitator. Few players in the Rivals150 can stuff a box score like Thomas, who is considering Auburn, Pitt, Arkansas, UConn, Miami and Indiana among others.”

I don't think IU has ever had a sorcerer. I hear he can work some magic with the ball.