Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

NCAA MBB Transfer Portal

3 minutes ago, str8baller said:

Of course it’s real. It’s why basketball schools continue to win championships and Arkansas and tenessee are….well, Arkansas and Tennessee.   Villanova, Uconn, and Duke barely even have football teams and put Tenn’s and Arkansas’ recruiting and level of success to shame. 

Average attendance…. Sure, but they have much bigger stadiums. We beat Tenn in % of seats filled every year.  We beat Tenn  in percentage of seats filled when we had awful seasons under Archie and Crean. That’s historically true of Arkansas too but they have some fair weather fans that do come out when they’re good like the last couple of years. 

Lies, dammed lies, and statistics…. and all that. 

We have no recruiting advantage over Tenn+Ark. Woodson would be the only advantage we have over most, and Musselman negates most of that, and Barnes is solid. 

Nova and UCONN do NOT "kill it" on the recruiting trail and by no means should be grouped with Duke. 

Recruits don't see a damn bit of difference in the crowds in AH compared to Thompson-Boling and whatever Ark arena is named. 

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

"I don't know his history" --- I know that Arkansas wasn't recruiting him and Bama was. 

We did not beat out Ark for Ware, maybe Oregon did last year? I have no clue. I know where he is from. 

So Musselman contacted Ware after he hit the portal but wasn't recruiting him?  Interesting.

1 minute ago, RaceToTheTop said:

So Musselman contacted Ware after he hit the portal but wasn't recruiting him?  Interesting.

They weren't even going to get a visit. Maybe you're confusing Alabama and Arkansas. 

1 minute ago, Ngw7183 said:

This isn’t about Gunn. There are plenty of better shooters already in the portal and… Gunn does way more than shoot.  The obsession with non-athletic kids who can “shoot” kills me 

The quote I responded to said that Frederick would be the fifth guard at IU....so yes, the quote was about Frederick being behind Gunn.

And you can obsess about athletes, but if they can't make shots, they won't play.  Gunn didn't make shots.  Next year if he continues to do the same, he won't play.

Just now, Ngw7183 said:

Do you know how many of this kids will end up with no options at all? Last year it was 500+. IU comes calling in June to fill a spot min role and the come easy. Of that 500, many are better than CJ. He is terrible and can only shoot. 

Hulls is already looking at a guy like that with better stats for a 5th scholarship 

Yeah, I don't agree with you. 

Just now, btownqb said:

No, I don't think he was recruiting him. They weren't even going to get a visit. Maybe you're confusing Alabama and Arkansas. 

They backed off late on getting a visit because two players announced they were going to come back -- one that they were expecting was going to turn pro.  But that was like two days before he visiting IU.

Just now, RaceToTheTop said:

They backed off late on getting a visit because two players announced they were going to come back -- one that they were expecting was going to turn pro.  But that was like two days before he visiting IU.

So we didn't beat Arkansas for him. Arkansas wasn't even an option. 

5 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

The quote I responded to said that Frederick would be the fifth guard at IU....so yes, the quote was about Frederick being behind Gunn.

And you can obsess about athletes, but if they can't make shots, they won't play.  Gunn didn't make shots.  Next year if he continues to do the same, he won't play.

XJ, Cupps, Transfer, and TG could all be ahead of him. "5th guard"-----> CJF I'm saying. 

8 minutes ago, BGleas said:

It's also a really big AAU weekend, so while that doesn't impact transfer visits, it does impact hs recruit visits and also probably has our staff on the road and not on campus. 

That makes a lot of sense..... One of my students, a point guard for our HS told me Wednesday that he would be missing school on Friday (today) and was also missing a few days next week too. I said, "Wow, what's going on? and he said, his AAU team is going to Phoenix, AZ for a tournament." I believe it's the Under Armor Circuit.

15 minutes ago, btownqb said:

We have no recruiting advantage over Tenn+Ark. Woodson would be the only advantage we have over most, and Musselman negates most of that, and Barnes is solid. 

Nova and UCONN do NOT "kill it" on the recruiting trail and by no means should be grouped with Duke. 

Recruits don't see a damn bit of difference in the crowds in AH compared to Thompson-Boling and whatever Ark arena is named. 

Didn’t we beat out Tenn for JHS?  

Uconn and Villanova have won 4/10 championships. Tenn and Arkansas = 0. This century the basketball schools like the ones mentioned above have won 15/22 titles and that’s not counting schools like Lville, msu and Virginia where arguably basketball is bigger.  The proof is in the pudding. 

Saying there’s no such thing as a basketball school and that it doesn’t matter is ridiculous. It’s not about raw attendance (which you brought up), it’s about social hierarchy for 18-22 year old guys. 

21 minutes ago, str8baller said:

Didn’t we beat out Tenn for JHS?  

Uconn and Villanova have won 4/10 championships. Tenn and Arkansas = 0. This century the basketball schools like the ones mentioned above have won 15/22 titles and that’s not counting schools like Lville, msu and Virginia where arguably basketball is bigger.  The proof is in the pudding. 

Saying there’s no such thing as a basketball school and that it doesn’t matter is ridiculous. It’s not about raw attendance (which you brought up), it’s about social hierarchy for 18-22 year old guys. 

You aren't answering my question... what recruiting advantages do we have over those schools? We aren't UCONN+Nova lol Uconn and Nova winning championships but still don't dominate recruiting, doesn't help your stance. We do not have an advantage over Tenn+Ark, as it stands currently. 

But no, the term "basketball" school is archaic. 

In the last 3 classes-- Ark has 2 in the Top 10, one in the top 3... Tenn has 3 Top 10 classes and 2 Top 5 classes. 

I understand you WANT us to have some huge advantage over these schools, but we just don't. 

25 minutes ago, btownqb said:

So we didn't beat Arkansas for him. Arkansas wasn't even an option. 

Arkansas was most definitely an option.  They contacted him.  He never committed to visiting them.  It ended up working out for them because they had a couple players return.

If you don't think that Arkansas was an option because he didn't commit to visiting, then IU didn't pursue Knecht.

48 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

If you don't think we beat Arkansas for Ware, you don't know his history.  He is from Slippery Rock.  He was recruiting by Arkansas out of high school and the only reason he didn't go to Arkansas was the assistant he got close to was hired by Oregon.  Musselman would have loved to have Ware.

Pennsylvania is a long way from Arkansas.

6 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Arkansas was most definitely an option.  They contacted him.  He never committed to visiting them.  It ended up working out for them because they had a couple players return.

If you don't think that Arkansas was an option because he didn't commit to visiting, then IU didn't pursue Knecht.

Sorry when every article that was written about Ware transferring from Oregon was about Indiana+Bama, after the initial "every school in the country is going to contact this kid" was over, meant... Indiana+Bama were the teams competing for him. 

I guess UCONN beat us to win the NC this season. If Arkansas was an option, we beat out like 30 school for Ware and I still don't know your point in all this. We did not beat Ark for Ware, we did beat out Bama, though. 

The Knecht situation seems funny to me. He's supposedly shut down his recruitment, deciding between UT and Oregon. Also supposedly a heavy Oregon lean. Yet he's almost a week past his UT visit, a team that has since filled their last scholarship (or at least will have to wait a while to know if any draft explorers are returning), but yet he hasn't committed to Oregon yet? Is he waiting on the UT scholly situation? If he is, he's not that high on Oregon. If he's high on Oregon, and has truly shut down his recruitment, why hasn't he committed there?

This is me just attempting to 1.) spin something positive - or - 2.) just jinx this thing into being fully over with

23 minutes ago, Artie86 said:

That makes a lot of sense..... One of my students, a point guard for our HS told me Wednesday that he would be missing school on Friday (today) and was also missing a few days next week too. I said, "Wow, what's going on? and he said, his AAU team is going to Phoenix, AZ for a tournament." I believe it's the Under Armor Circuit.

Yeah, the program I coach in (my team is 13U) all of our older/HS level teams are at a live period even in Pittsburgh this weekend.