Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

(2022) PG Braden Smith to Purdue

1 minute ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I went back and added this to my previous post right  before you responded, but we already have CJ Gunn committed for next year. Unless we have massive roster upheaval I can’t see us taking three guards when we need multiple big guys. Should we use one of the guard spots on Smith? Eh, I don’t think so, but I can see why others disagree. 

CJ Gunn is 6'6".

In a four out offense he is one of the 'four outs'. On the defensive end CJ is a SF.

3 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

CJ Gunn is 6'6".

In a four out offense he is one of the 'four outs'. On the defensive end CJ is a SF.

Gunn, Trimble, Smith, Washington... and a 6'9+ rim defender would be one heckuva haul. 

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

How do you know they are better than Smith if your aren't watching the film? That's what I don't get. 

I mean, there’s no real way to definitively know if one prospect is better than the other. Do I know that Braden Smith isn’t better than Trimble? Nope. He could go to Purdue and be an all-conference player. I’d still rather go with a higher ranked player. A top 25, top 50, top 80 type of player is more likely to play like one in college than a 200+ ranked one is to play like a top 50 recruit in college. Rankings aren’t perfect, but they get it right way more often than not.  Look at the top 50 recruits we’ve gotten over the past decade. Only Jeremy Hollowell (drugs/attitude) and Deron Davis (injuries) failed to live up to their ranking. Missing on a player who’s a diamond in the rough like Smith may be is only an issue if you fail to land great players in place of them. 

4 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I mean, there’s no real way to definitively know if one prospect is better than the other. Do I know that Braden Smith isn’t better than Trimble? Nope. He could go to Purdue and be an all-conference player. I’d still rather go with a higher ranked player. A top 25, top 50, top 80 type of player is more likely to play like one in college than a 200+ ranked one is to play like a top 50 recruit in college. Rankings aren’t perfect, but they get it right way more often than not.  Look at the top 50 recruits we’ve gotten over the past decade. Only Jeremy Hollowell (drugs/attitude) and Deron Davis (injuries) failed to live up to their ranking. Missing on a player who’s a diamond in the rough like Smith may be is only an issue if you fail to land great players in place of them. 

Fairly good chance that 200+ ranking is about to move up. I just don't understand watching Braden Smith and not seeing a piece we need. I just watched a half of basketball (school ball) where Trimble didn't score. Made one really nice pass, had a nice block. 

https://247sports.com/player/donte-divincenzo-34135/  here's another example of a dude that could ball and ranked 100+. 

Other players and odds have nothing to do with the fact Braden Smith can FLAT OUT PLAY.  

21 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

CJ Gunn is 6'6".

There isn’t much difference between a 2 and. 3 in college basketball these days. Gunn is more of a 2-3 than a 1-2, but he won’t be logging any time at the 4 or the 5 so he doesn’t solve our potential frontcourt problems. Right now we don’t even have the scholarship room to add Gunn to the team next year. That’ll be fixed by TJD leaving, but we’d need a number of players to leave the team after this season to have room to add three wing players and multiple front court guys.

7 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Fairly good chance that 200+ ranking is about to move up. I just don't understand watching Braden Smith and not seeing a piece we need. I just watched a half of basketball (school ball) where Trimble didn't score. Made one really nice pass, had a nice block. 

https://247sports.com/player/donte-divincenzo-34135/  here's another example of a dude that could ball and ranked 100+. 

Other players and odds have nothing to do with the fact Braden Smith can FLAT OUT PLAY.  

I think that we can land better players than Braden Smith. That’s why I don’t want him to be a top priority. Coach Woodson landed a top 25 guard after three weeks on the job. He landed one of the best point guards in the transfer portal even faster than that. He convinced an all-American dead set on going pro to come back to IU instead. With the transfer portal, high school recruits, our assistant coaches’ recruiting abilities, and Woodson’s NBA appeal we shouldn’t have any trouble finding high level players. So, that’s why I don’t want IU taking a chance on Smith. Maybe I’d be more comfortable doing it if Woodson was established and things were clicking on all cylinders, but right now we need talent and we need talent that can contribute right away to get IU out of the giant rut we’ve been in over the past half decade.

3 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

There isn’t much difference between a 2 and. 3 in college basketball these days. Gunn is more of a 2-3 than a 1-2, but he won’t be logging any time at e 4 or the 5 so he doesn’t solve our potential frontcourt problems. Right now we don’t even have the scholarship room to add Gunn to the team next year. That’ll be fixed by TJD leaving, but we’d need a number of players to leave the team after this season to have room to add three wing players and multiple front court guys.

I think that we can land better players than Braden Smith. That’s why I don’t want him to be a top priority. Coach Woodson landed a top 25 guard after three weeks on the job. He landed one of the best point guards in the transfer portal even faster than that. He convinced an all-American dead set on going pro to come back to IU instead. With the transfer portal, high school recruits, our assistant coaches’ recruiting abilities, and Woodson’s NBA appeal we shouldn’t have any trouble finding high level players. So, that’s why I don’t want IU taking a chance on Smith. Maybe I’d be more comfortable doing it if Woodson was established and things were clicking on all cylinders, but right now we need talent and we need talent that can contribute right away to get IU out of the giant rut we’ve been in over the past half decade.

I dont see the risk. At all. 

2 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

This is perfectly stated and exactly where I’m at as well. We just need a talent infusion right now and we’re on our way to getting it but I just don’t see the need to take a scholly up with someone like Smith when the transfer portal will be a game changer moving forward 

2 minutes ago, VO5 said:

This is perfectly stated and exactly where I’m at as well. We just need a talent infusion right now and we’re on our way to getting it but I just don’t see the need to take a scholly up with someone like Smith when the transfer portal will be a game changer moving forward 

Top 50 players like the guy in your profile pic, are not what I want to be chasing, anymore. Grab some of those, mix them in with kids like Smith and that's how we'll build this for years to come. 

Knight didn't build IU into a national powerhouse by only top 30 players, Nova the same way. I want highly ranked kids, I mostly want kids who can play though... Smith can play. There is no risk. We would be getting a stud. 

8 minutes ago, VO5 said:

Exactly. I think when we landed Rob Phinisee and then went after Darius Garland is a good example of what we’re talking about. Rob was a top 150 recruit, Garland was number 14 in his class. Rob just came off a junior season where he averaged 7 ppg and Garland is averaging 18 ppg as an NBA starter. Garland didn’t work out in college because he tore a knee ligament, but injuries can happen to anyone. That’s the kind of talent gap we’re talking about between top 25 guys and top 150 guys. There are outliers of course, but they’re just that - outliers. 

Look.. I don't think Smith is the second coming of Jesus, but I believe in "fit." I believe we don't have to have an entire team of Top 50 kids. You have to find kids who's skill set works well with others. 

Bring a kid like Trimble, Gunn, and Washington in.. what are you missing? A facilitator.

8 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Top 50 players like the guy in your profile pic, are not what I want to be chasing, anymore. Grab some of those, mix them in with kids like Smith and that's how we'll build this for years to come. 

Knight didn't build IU into a national powerhouse by only top 30 players, Nova the same way. I want highly ranked kids, I mostly want kids who can play though... Smith can play. There is no risk. We would be getting a stud. 

Top 50 players more often than not play to their ranking, which isn’t the case as much with guys outside the top 100. There will always be outliers. With Smith, Rabjohns has said he struggles to deal with length at times and the length he is facing isn’t near what he will face in the big ten. I want the guys like Trimble that can break down the D and not have to worry about length at that level. It’s just where I’m at. Bob knight’s way is not today’s way. Nova also built up most of there teams with guys in the top 30-80, so you’re kind of making my point here.

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Nova’s 15-16 rotation consisted all of top 100 guys and their last natty winning team was the same with the exception of Donte and Eric Paschall. 

I just don’t think today’s elite program building is comparable to the Knight era. 

Smith is a good player. But there are real limitations there. If he’s not the lead ball handler, he’s a 6’0 ft off-ball guard that is an outside threat but not much else. IMO, I’m not even certain he’s the best in-state 2022 PG. 

4 minutes ago, IUBBx5Banners said:

Nova’s 15-16 rotation consisted all of top 100 guys and their last natty winning team was the same with the exception of Donte and Eric Paschall. 

I just don’t think today’s elite program building is comparable to the Knight era. 

Smith is a good player. But there are real limitations there. If he’s not the lead ball handler, he’s a 6’0 ft off-ball guard that is an outside threat but not much else. IMO, I’m not even certain he’s the best in-state 2022 PG. 

I dont believe theres regularly much of a difference between the 85th ranked player and the 185th ranked player. I just watched a game where Trimble didn't score the first 26mins of the game, school ball game. 

What IN HS PG is better than Braden Smith in the 2022 class? 

And what limitations does Smith have? he shoots 45% from 3 with a nearing 40in vert and can stop and go and finish very well, as well. 

6 minutes ago, VO5 said:

Top 50 players more often than not play to their ranking, which isn’t the case as much with guys outside the top 100. There will always be outliers. With Smith, Rabjohns has said he struggles to deal with length at times and the length he is facing isn’t near what he will face in the big ten. I want the guys like Trimble that can break down the D and not have to worry about length at that level. It’s just where I’m at. Bob knight’s way is not today’s way. Nova also built up most of there teams with guys in the top 30-80, so you’re kind of making my point here.

I literally just watched Trimbles last game of his HS season and he was terrible. Have you watched a full length game of Trimbles or are you just basing this off a dumb ranking, as well? 

Like I said before.. I assume Braden will end up no lower than top 150. 

8 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Jerome Hunter wasn’t a top 50 recruit, and he’s never been the same since he suffered his injury. 

Look at Bob Knight’s title teams. His 1976 title team had guys drafted #1, #2, #7, and #11 in their respective drafts. In total, that team had 7 guys picked in the NBA draft. 

His 1981 title team had 10 guys who were drafted. Three guys were first round picks, two guys were second round picks, and Landon Turner very well may have been picked in the first or second round if he hadn’t been paralyzed. 

His 1987 title team had 3 second round picks on it.

I don’t know what any of those players’ high school rankings were, or even how they did high school rankings 30, 40 years ago. But the teams that he won championships with were loaded with talent. If you load your team up with top 50 recruits these days, you’re going to do quite well year in and year out. 

10 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Look.. I don't think Smith is the second coming of Jesus, but I believe in "fit." I believe we don't have to have an entire team of Top 50 kids. You have to find kids who's skill set works well with others. 

Bring a kid like Trimble, Gunn, and Washington in.. what are you missing? A facilitator.

Smith isn’t going to come in as a freshman and be able to start, plus we will have a facilitator in Khristian Lander. He was a top 30 recruit even after he reclassified. Things went about as bad for him as they possibly could’ve. He reclassified, missed out on a bunch of summer and preseason training opportunities because of Covid restrictions, and then spent the year playing for an offensively incompetent head coach. But even then, he showed flashes of the kind of player he can be. Woodson’s offensive scheme is exactly the type of offense a guard like Lander flourishes in. A full offseason with a coach who can actually coach guards will do wonders for him. Additionally, Xavier Johnson has two years of eligibility left. He was 17th in the country in assists per game at 5.7. We won’t be lacking facilitators in 2022.