Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Uspshoosier

Bracketology and Team Resumes

I believe my WAR (In no specific order) would have had the sixteen as Purdue, U Conn, Houston, Arizona,  UNC, Marquette, Kansas, Tennessee, Alabama, Dayton,  South Carolina, Auburn, San Diego State, Iowa State, and Illinois.

So no Baylor (they would have been first one out) and Duke.  The metrics aren't kind to South Carolina (bad non-conference SOS) but overall they have a top 100 schedule and are 21-4.  I don't think my results came out too bad considering I'm not trying to match what the committee thinks and it was calculated for what I value.

EDIT:  I was off on my numbering and had listed Auburn twice, so Baylor is actually in my 16.  One team I didn't have in is Duke, team I had in but committee doesn't is South Carolina.

6 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

@Uspshoosier

Any conceivable way that Grand Canyon could get an at large bid without winning their conference tournament?  I know it's probably not likely, but they could literally get to 30 wins and be 30-3 if they win out but lose in the final of their conference tournament.

I don’t think so.   The league doesn’t provide any opportunities.  They have a great home win against San Diego St but unlike the MVC there isn’t any other teams in the top 70 to provide enough good wins for them i their league 

Butler beaten down badly today at home by Creighton.  Back to back losses now at home (albeit to good teams).   15-10 (against D1) now and their next two are at Villanova and at Seton Hall.  Trending in the wrong direction.

1 hour ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Wisconsin has been fairly mediocre and is a 4 seed... And not the last 4 seed.. but Indiana was also a 4 seed last season so.. direction college basketball is going in. 4 seeds and lower is getting really close to just being the mediocrity line.

Most of college basketball is filled with mediocrity. There are just a few of really good teams and the rest are just average at best. Just look at the big ten, going into today's games there were 8 teams between 8-6 and 6-8

23 minutes ago, Scotty R said:

Most of college basketball is filled with mediocrity. There are just a few of really good teams and the rest are just average at best. Just look at the big ten, going into today's games there were 8 teams between 8-6 and 6-8

The Big Ten is below mediocrity. But I don't remember thinking Indiana as a 4 seed in 2012 was "mediocre." That team could win this year's Big Ten and looking at the landscape of CBB this year, be a 1 or 2 seed. I think it's just been getting worse over the years. With conference realignment and the transfer portal, teams just aren't the quality they used to be in the top 15-30.

13 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

The Big Ten is below mediocrity. But I don't remember thinking Indiana as a 4 seed in 2012 was "mediocre." That team could win this year's Big Ten and looking at the landscape of CBB this year, be a 1 or 2 seed. I think it's just been getting worse over the years. With conference realignment and the transfer portal, teams just aren't the quality they used to be in the top 15-30.

I been accused of living in the past to much but these top teams today would have a hard time being a top 15 team in the mid 80's through the 90's.

I see teams like Marquette, KU, UNC who are in the top 8 in the country. I look at their talent and don't see what a top 10 team use to look like.

Uconn destroying Marquette one of the committees 2 seeds today will get them closer to Purdue for the overall number 1 seed.    Don’t care who is living in the past as long as their talking about bracketology and team resumes in this thread and not the rise and fall of college basketball plenty of other places to talk about that 

42 minutes ago, Scotty R said:

I been accused of living in the past to much but these top teams today would have a hard time being a top 15 team in the mid 80's through the 90's.

I see teams like Marquette, KU, UNC who are in the top 8 in the country. I look at their talent and don't see what a top 10 team use to look like.

Mostly an age thing and it’s been like that for 20 years. I still prefer the one and done era to the one where guys never came to college at all.  

With that said, that uconn team looks as good as any I’ve seen in some time. 

Just my opinion here... (* for conference leaders)

A-Sun: Eastern Kentucky*

America East: Vermont*

AAC: South Florida*, Florida Atlantic

A10: Dayton*

ACC: North Carolina*, Duke, Virginia, NC State, Wake Forest, Clemson

Big 12: Iowa State*, Houston, Baylor, Kansas, Texas Tech, BYU, Oklahoma, Texas, Cincinnati

Big East: UConn*, Marquette, Creighton, Seton Hall, Providence

Big Sky: Eastern Washington*

Big South: High Point*

Big Ten: Purdue*, Illinois, Wisconsin, Michigan State, Northwestern, Nebraska

Big West: UC Irvine*

CAA: Charleston*

C-USA: Sam Houston*

Horizon: Oakland*

IVY: Yale*

MAAC: Quinnipiac*

MAC: Akron*

MEAC: Norfolk State*

MVC: Indiana State*

MWC: San Diego State*, Utah State, Colorado State, New Mexico, Nevada

NEC: Merrimack*

OVC: Morehead State*

Pac-12: Arizona*, Washington State

Patriot: Colgate*

SEC: Alabama*, Tennessee, Auburn, South Carolina, Florida, Kentucky, Mississippi State, Ole Miss

Southern: Samford*

Southland: McNeese*

SWAC: Southern*

Summit: North Dakota*

Sun Belt: Appalachian State*

WCC: Saint Mary's*, Gonzaga

WAC: Grand Canyon*

The "Bubble" and teams with work to do(possibly a lot, but this really done without any dive into a teams resume).

AAC: Memphis

ACC: Pittsburgh, Syracuse

Big 12: Kansas State

Big East: Butler

Pac-12: Oregon

MWC: Boise State

It is looking very very rough around the bubble this season. Especially right now. Maybe in 2 weeks it'll look better.

2 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

I thought about them as well. I guess I can make a list of the "bubble." But Boise State definitely has a shot.

Yeah if any MWC team would be on the bubble it would be Nevada.  Boise would definitely be above them on the seed line 

2 hours ago, Uspshoosier said:

Yeah if any MWC team would be on the bubble it would be Nevada.  Boise would definitely be above them on the seed line 

How are you feeling about South Florida? I imagine they probably still have to win their conference tourney but you gotta admit, pretty wild they've won 16 of 17. And up 11 on FAU right now.