Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Aaron

#IUMS vs. OSU 8pm Big Ten Title Possibly On Line But Overshadowed by Basketball

It does seem like they could have scheduled things a little better. I wonder what the attendance for each game/match was tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Well you’d have to see what the average attendance for a soccer game is. I doubt it’s very much, even though it’s like a $5 ticket. And I doubt there were very many at the b-ball game, but I wouldn’t be surprised if more people showed up to the b-ball game and spent more money.

5 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Well you’d have to see what the average attendance for a soccer game is. I doubt it’s very much, even though it’s like a $5 ticket. And I doubt there were very many at the b-ball game, but I wouldn’t be surprised if more people showed up to the b-ball game and spent more money.

It’s not a competition between the two it’s about maximizing them both. How do you not get that?  

It’s not a competition between the two it’s about maximizing them both. How do you not get that?  

Who is to say soccer isn’t already maxed out? Considering how consistently good they are and how small of crowds they get, is it really hurting them?

It’s soccer... it might be a great program in the soccer community, but basketball is going to bring in more views. Always. That’s the money maker. Soccer is used to winning without a bunch of people watching.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

F off with this. There was literally zero reason to try to make this about your ****.

7 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Who is to say soccer isn’t already maxed out? Considering how consistently good they are and how small of crowds they get, is it really hurting them?

Oh my god you really are this hopeless

That’s where I’m at with IU sports. I want to see every game, match, meet, etc. full of crazy IU fans. It not only helps the university with revenue but it shows that we support our programs. It definitely can’t hurt.

Oh my god you really are this hopeless

You say it’s to maximize every sport, but look at how good soccer is and people still don’t show up to fill the stadium every game. And it’s a $5 ticket. It’s the same with baseball. It’s the same with women’s basketball(which I go to multiple games a year). Women’s basketball can get better but soccer is already maximized. It’s arguably the best program in the nation. It’d be awesome if every soccer match had a packed house of crazy college kids, but it’s just not happening. I was one of few who said the soccer team should be moved to Memorial Stadium(which could still be a good idea if the field would fit and for one game a year).

16 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

You say it’s to maximize every sport, but look at how good soccer is and people still don’t show up to fill the stadium every game. And it’s a $5 ticket. It’s the same with baseball. It’s the same with women’s basketball(which I go to multiple games a year). Women’s basketball can get better but soccer is already maximized. It’s arguably the best program in the nation. It’d be awesome if every soccer match had a packed house of crazy college kids, but it’s just not happening. I was one of few who said the soccer team should be moved to Memorial Stadium(which could still be a good idea if the field would fit and for one game a year).

IU has a huge soccer stadium and regularly gets a couple thousand a game for normal matches and sometimes 4-5 thousand for big games. They are regularly in the top 2 or 3 in attendance.

The problem is Armstrong Stadium is way to big for a college soccer stadium because of Little 5 seating 6-7 thousand. Most stadiums seats 1 to 2 thousand so IU would fill a normal sized college stadium every night while most teams can't do even that. Crowds are quite big by college standards and just look small because of stadium size.

Now you are right the soccer program has maxed out in terms of its support but its at a very high level by college standards. Women's Basketball (and baseball and volleyball) have grown tremendously in support last few years and can still get higher.   

Another thing about soccer: we are the only program besides Maryland in Big Ten and a few other teams nationally that even care enough to discuss or mention soccer on our message boards so that says something.   

IU has a huge soccer stadium and regularly gets a couple thousand a game for normal matches and sometimes 4-5 thousand for big games. They are regularly in the top 2 or 3 in attendance.
The problem is Armstrong Stadium is way to big for a college soccer stadium because of Little 5 seating 6-7 thousand. Most stadiums seats 1 to 2 thousand so IU would fill a normal sized college stadium every night while most teams can't do even that. Crowds are quite big by college standards and just look small because of stadium size.
Now you are right the soccer program has maxed out in terms of its support but its at a very high level by college standards. Women's Basketball (and baseball and volleyball) have grown tremendously in support last few years and can still get higher.   
Another thing about soccer: we are the only program besides Maryland in Big Ten and a few other teams nationally that even care enough to discuss or mention soccer on our message boards so that says something.   

I’m not really sure what’s so bad about saying soccer is maxed out or why anyone would be butthurt about it. Indiana is soccer powerhouse. And if the attendance is like that, then we’ve maxed it out. We really can’t do anymore. Anyone know the attendance for the soccer match and the basketball game? Anyone know the averages for soccer and basketball exhibitions are?

16 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

I’m not really sure what’s so bad about saying soccer is maxed out or why anyone would be butthurt about it. Indiana is soccer powerhouse. And if the attendance is like that, then we’ve maxed it out. We really can’t do anymore. Anyone know the attendance for the soccer match and the basketball game? Anyone know the averages for soccer and basketball exhibitions are?

IU's yearly soccer avg. is just north of 2 thousand year in and year out. Last night attendance was listed at 1,500 which is a bit lower than usual because of Basketball and would of been the normal 2-2,500 if not for basketball most likely. 

Penn State last night in their huge game vs. Maryland I literally counted 100 people in the stands on TV because it was so low. An IU soccer crowd (except maybe in a rainstorm) is never low enough to count which says something. 

Basketball is hard because every game is announced as a ''sellout' due to season tickets but games like last night have close to a 50% no show rate (especially among students) so it was probably 10 thousand there in actuality. Bigger games are closer to the announced full crowd especially once Big Ten play play roles around and years we have high expectations.  

IU's yearly soccer avg. is just north of 2 thousand year in and year out. Last night attendance was listed at 1,500 which is a bit lower than usual because of Basketball and would of been the normal 2-2,500 if not for basketball most likely. 
Penn State last night in their huge game vs. Maryland I literally counted 100 people in the stands on TV because it was so low. An IU soccer crowd (except maybe in a rainstorm) is never low enough to count which says something. 
Basketball is hard because ever game is announced as a ''sellout' due to season tickets but games like last night have close to a 50% no show rate (especially among students) so it was probably 10 thousand there in actuality. Bigger games are closer to the announced full crowd especially once Big Ten play play roles around and years we have high expectations.  

So basically 500 people might have decided to watch basketball instead of soccer? Seems 1500 is still pretty dang good for a collegiate soccer match.

5 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

So basically 500 people might have decided to watch basketball instead of soccer? Seems 1500 is still pretty dang good for a collegiate soccer match.

Why make those 500-1,000 people choose though when you could have easily had the basketball game on Monday or Wednesday Night if Fred Glass is really about treating all sports equally? He may have a good reason logistically and I just don't know it or it could be sloppiness and he is not giving all 24 sports the equal he preaches. I don't know unless I asked him and I obviously can't.

I may try to find out but right now I don't have answer. 

Why make those 500-1,000 people choose though when you could have easily had the basketball game on Monday or Wednesday Night if Fred Glass is really about treating all sports equally? He may have a good reason logistically and I just don't know it or it could be sloppiness and he is not giving all 24 sports the equal he preaches. I don't know unless I asked him and I obviously can't.
I may try to find out but right now I don't have answer. 

I would say those 500 don’t make a big difference. Especially when neither team is playing anyone that’s any good.