Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Aaron

#IUMS vs. OSU 8pm Big Ten Title Possibly On Line But Overshadowed by Basketball

First off Mr. 24 sports 1 team Fred Glass doesn't much seem to care who steps on each others foot with scheduling. I am partially kidding but this is at least the third time I can think of that the final home soccer game has unfortunately coincided with basketball's first game. Obviously there are a lot of moving parts, but to me since IU is 100% in control of the exhibition basketball schedule it should ensure it is scheduled on a night with no other olympic sports (plenty of weeknights like that) if Glass is truly treating all sports equally. It is a slightly different crowd that goes to soccer but this should be the number one story tomorrow night but will now be overlooked for basketball. The good news is BTN+ lets you split screen so you can watch both games at once if you have the subscription. 

To win the title tomorrow night we need a win and Maryland to beat or tie Penn St. Anything else and the title will be decided Sunday. Good news is the Terps and Lions play at 6pm so we will know by our game if we can win the title tomorrow night and that game is on BTN. Unfortunately the game is in Happy Valley so you probably have to give a slight edge to PSU but game is a tossup overall. Also PSU has Rutgers Sunday so if they win tomorrow we probably need to win out against Buckeyes and Spartans to win title as I don't see PSU losing to the Scarlet Knights.

As for OSU themselves they are not good and like Rutgers this should be an easy win. Buckeyes after a pretty good start are really struggling and have lost four in a row including one to a horrible Cleveland State team. Their defense as a whole is really bad and has given up at least two goals in the four straight losses and seven of their last 10 games overall. This is a night we should put at least 2-3 goals up. Their offense hasn't been terrible but is certainly not great. They have had their moments but also only put up one goal on that atrocious Rutgers D I just saw us take target practice on last Friday so that gives me pause. I'll predict a 3-1 win given our D has not been perfect and OSU has scored a goal more often than not but gives up a ton. 

Let's hope we clinch this tomorrow night and don't have to take this to Sunday which hopefully is about what the Terps do or don't do and not some massive failure by us against a really bad team.   

Perfect first half. We completely dominated and scored early and later tacked on. Could not of asked for better other then Maryland's gag that will force us to win at a tougher (but not great) MSU team Sunday to wrap up this title. Goals early both by Bazerra and then Penn scored later.

4 minutes ago, Aaron said:

Perfect first half. We completely dominated and scored early and later tacked on. Could not of asked for better other then Maryland's gag that will force us to win at a tougher (but not great) MSU team Sunday to wrap up this title. Goals early both by Bazerra and then Penn scored later.

We’d still share title with a tie right?

Just now, Brass Cannon said:

We’d still share title with a tie right?

Scenario's assuming we hold on tonight.

Outright title:

1. Win Sunday

2. PSU lost or tie (not likely)

Share:

1. Tie and PSU win 

2nd (can't fall lower than that):

1. Loss and PSU win. 

That OSU defense is so bad and didn't even make us work for the goals. They may have been as bad as Evansville if not worse. Rutgers D was really bad in the sense they were letting us get free runs into the box but did a little better getting them cleared at last second and made us work. Tonight OSU was just letting everything in way to easily and we scored five goals on our first ten shots. 

What continues to scare a bit is this D. They rarely give up more than a goal but also usually give up 1 and rarely get shut outs. That's fine right now, but in the tournament if we face a stingy D in Sweet 16 we could easily lose 1-0 in a game where the offense has an off night. Got to clean up the D still a bit but overall we have a chance to do big things.

A lot is clear after tonight Big Ten wise and see my scenario's above. What is also known is we have clinched at least a one or two seed and will host either Rutgers, OSU or Wiscy at Armstrong Stadium in quarterfinals a second time which are all teams we handled easily. Also it would be really nice if Maryland beats Michigan Sunday (assuming we hold onto one seed) and moves up to 3 and gets away from our side of bracket. Other OK possibility is them falling to 5 if NW wins and they lose and a 4/5 game in Evanston. It would be really funny if Maryland didn't get to play in semi's of Big Ten Tourney on their own field but I wouldn't count on this so better they move to other side of bracket.

We know:

IU and PSU will be 1 and 2 in some order

Michigan, Maryland, NW and MSU will be 3-6 in some order

Rutgers, OSU and Wiscy will be 7--8-9 in some order

I won't preview MSU to much other than to say they are exact opposite of OSU and Rutgers with a terrible offense and a decent defense. This is a bit more scary and could lead to a 1-0 loss scenario where we dominate I mentioned above but they are in a real funk so hopefully not. 

It’s soccer... it might be a great program in the soccer community, but basketball is going to bring in more views. Always. That’s the money maker. Soccer is used to winning without a bunch of people watching.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

So don’t watch or comment on it..? Maybe allow the people who enjoy the 24 sports one team mantra enjoy it? Just a thought, you do you Joe.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

So don’t watch or comment on it..? Maybe allow the people who enjoy the 24 sports one team mantra enjoy it? Just a thought, you do you Joe.

You gotta see from the business side of things. It’s great that soccer is so good, but it’ll always be behind basketball. Gotta schedule when available. And considering it’s a game against Ohio State who isn’t that good, no reason to treat it like any other game. Like I said, the soccer team is used to playing in front of a small crowd. It doesn’t mean much to them likely.

2 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

You gotta see from the business side of things. It’s great that soccer is so good, but it’ll always be behind basketball. Gotta schedule when available. And considering it’s a game against Ohio State who isn’t that good, no reason to treat it like any other game. Like I said, the soccer team is used to playing in front of a small crowd. It doesn’t mean much to them likely.

Would have been easy enough to schedule the exhibition on Wednesday and Monday and let people enjoy both. This was a bad business decision.