Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2020) SG Anthony Leal to IU

57 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

I like the kid, he seems like an old soul to me and mature for his age. We need smart players, and I really hope he works out here.

Bloomington South (24-0) advances to a Friday night semifinal game against Columbus North with an easy 67-34 win over Columbus East (4-19).  Leal with 20 pts. on 7-11 FG; 1-3 on 3s; 5-6 FT; 5 reb.  South scored the first 17 points of the 2nd Q and the game was over.  

NOTE:  Above stats from the radio announcers.  Anthony's mother subsequently tweeted he had 18 pts.

And then another report he had 18 pts. and 7 reb.  Take your choice.

Edited by Class of '66 Old Fart
Update stats info

Is Leal the shoo-in for Mr. Basketball at this point?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

No idea this year. I guess he’s had a nice season. Furst and Kaufman seem to have had better seasons as Juniors. Galloway played well but missed time.

Idk, but he doesn’t feel like the standard Mr. Basketball. Anyone else weigh in here?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

No idea this year. I guess he’s had a nice season. Furst and Kaufman seem to have had better seasons as Juniors. Galloway played well but missed time.

Idk, but he doesn’t feel like the standard Mr. Basketball. Anyone else weigh in here?

Juniors cannot win the award. It’s going to come down to Leal, Pack or Davis. With Leal leading an undefeated top ranked Bloomington South team into sectionals and being an IU commit I would give the edge to Leal

Even if Galloway would of not been hurt probably 0 chance of him winning it since he plays for a prep team

Juniors cannot win the award. It’s going to come down to Leal, Pack or Davis. With Leal leading an undefeated top ranked Bloomington South team into sectionals and being an IU commit I would give the edge to Leal

Even if Galloway would of not been hurt probably 0 chance of him winning it since he plays for a prep team

I know Juniors can’t win, my point is it’s been an underwhelming season for seniors as a couple of Juniors have overshadowed.

I feel like it’ll be Leal as well, for all the points you’ve mentioned.

12 hours ago, mamasa said:

I’m sure B South had serious revenge on their minds- East beat them on last second layup last year in Sectionals.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

South actually beat Columbus East last year in the Sectional 14 game, 57-36.  South went on to lose in the Regional final against Center Grove.  

6 minutes ago, Last12! said:

South actually beat Columbus East last year in the Sectional 14 game, 57-36.  South went on to lose in the Regional final against Center Grove.  

Fuzzy memory lol!  East beat B North at the last second, then went on to get smoked by South.  Good catch!

11 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

He may not be the ' modern statistical version' of a Mr. Basketball, but his numbers are strong, and he is the absolute best version of a Mr. Basketball:

• A winner,
  • Fundamentally outstanding - cuts, passes, plays extremely hard,
  • Clutch, 
  • A young role model, and, 

will be attending Indiana University.

On 3/3/2020 at 9:04 PM, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Bloomington South (24-0) advances to a Friday night semifinal game against Columbus North with an easy 67-34 win over Columbus East (4-19).  Leal with 20 pts. on 7-11 FG; 1-3 on 3s; 5-6 FT; 5 reb.  South scored the first 17 points of the 2nd Q and the game was over.  

NOTE:  Above stats from the radio announcers.  Anthony's mother subsequently tweeted he had 18 pts.

And then another report he had 18 pts. and 7 reb.  Take your choice.

I like the one with 7 rebounds.

SI.COM -

One of the best things about Bloomington South’s difficult schedule in hostile environments all year as that the No. 1-ranked Panthers are prepared for just about anything.

They saw that again Friday night at Columbus North, when they had to take on the tough Bulldogs on their home court. North tried to slow the game down on Indiana signee Anthony Leal and the Panthers, but it didn't work. South won 59-49 to advance to the Class 4A-3 sectional final on Saturday night against East Central, a surprising winner over Bloomington North in the first game.

"We knew to be patient when they came out and held the ball. We've seen that before. We've seen everything,'' said Leal, who watched North hold the ball on its first possession for 1 minute and 16 seconds before a turnover. They held the ball for more than a minute two other times as well, but once South raced out to a 10-2 lead, the strategy stopped.

Columbus North, who finished 18-6, scratched back to 14-12, but then South point guard Noah Jager, who's going to play basketball at Army next year and is the younger brother of former IU walk-on Johnny Jager, hit three three-pointers in a row to stretch the lead to 23-14 before halftime.

Midway through the third quarter, Leal took over. He scored on a drive with an and-one and then hit a three-pointer on the next possession. Connor Hickman followed with another three-pointer and that nine-point outburst in less than a minute gave South the cushion it had been looking for all night.

"That's what usually separates us from other teams, where we can go on big runs like that,'' Leal said. "It took a while for it to come, but when it did, we felt pretty good.''

Columbus North fouled most of the fourth quarter, and South responded well, with 13 of their 19 fourth-quarter points coming from the free throw line. They made 13-of-16 free throws in the period, good for 81.2 percent.

"That was good that we knocked them down, but we should have had two more,'' said Leal, who was 6-for-8 himself. "It's a good win at their place. They're a good team and they really know us well. It was good to get past them.''

Leal only took six shots from the field all night. He let the game come to him, and his talented teammates helped out a lot.

"We always talk about the fact that we always have five guys on the floor who can play, and that's really true. We have a deep team,'' Leal said. "I didn't need to force anything, and I attacked when I could. We're one step closer now. We're looking forward to playing for a sectional championship (Saturday) night.''

Columbus Republic - 

http://www.therepublic.com/2020/03/07/panthers_tame_bull_dogs__norths_season_ends_with_loss_to_topranked_bloomington_south/