Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
ccgeneral

From Tampa to IUFB

Good read on our pipeline. Prep the cannon for Roundtree. #savecoachfrey

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/footballpreps/indiana-tampa-bay-recruiting-pipeline-outperforms-state-schools/2310660

Juwan Burgess is considered one of the top 25 athletes in the country by recruiting services. He was previously committed to Southern California and has offers from major college programs such as Alabama, Clemson, FSU and Michigan. "For me, Indiana was like a brotherhood," he said. While many experts did a double take, the decision should not be that surprising considering the Hoosiers' recent success of landing recruits from Tampa Bay.

Burgess made his commitment on Jan. 20, two days after Plant High teammate and best friend Whop Philyor, a receiver, announced he would be attending Indiana. They join another Panther standout, linebacker Thomas Allen, son of the head coach.

That is not all. Two others, Northside Christian offensive lineman Tyler Knight and Clearwater defensive lineman Tramar Reece, each pledged their allegiance to the Hoosiers earlier this season. That gives Indiana five local commits for the 2017 class, more than any other school in the country, including Florida and USF.

The list could grow. Largo defensive lineman Bobby Roundtree and Tampa Catholic running back Devan Barrett, currently an Auburn commit, are taking their official visits to the school this weekend.

So why the influx of locals? It starts with the coaches. Greg Frey, a former standout at Clearwater High and FSU, is the Hoosiers' co-offensive coordinator and has been on staff for the past seven seasons. Frey had previous coaching stops at USF, West Virginia and Michigan. Frey also is Indiana's main recruiter for the bay area. His penchant for landing locals began in 2011 when former Largo standout Adarius Rayner signed with the Hoosiers.

There was a connection. Packers coach Rick Rodriguez was Frey's offensive line coach at Clearwater. That helped Frey and the Hoosiers land more Largo players. There are currently two former Packers on the roster — defensive back Jonathan Crawford and receiver Donavan Hale. Another local, former Hudson offensive lineman Grayson Stover, signed last year.

"The reason Indiana is having so much success in the area is all because of Greg Frey," Largo football coach Marcus Paschal said. "I have a great relationship with him that goes back a long way. He knows Rick Rodriguez, who I played for. Frey even recruited me when I played at Largo and he was an assistant at USF." Paschal said the key for Frey and the Hoosiers is getting to kids early. Crawford and Hale picked up offers from Indiana when they were sophomores.

"I often call Greg and say you need to look at this kid because he is going to be a player," Paschal said. "And they get a jump in the process by offering before most other schools and sticking with that player. That is big.

"I've tried to tell (Willie) Taggart when he was at USF and now (Charlie) Strong that they have to do the same thing. You can't wait until a kid has four or five offers from other schools before jumping in. If you like a kid and know he's good, get that offer in early."

The local connection was bolstered in December when Indiana promoted defensive coordinator Tom Allen to head coach. Allen was a head coach at now defunct Temple Heights Christian in the early 1990s and was an assistant at Armwood High and the defensive coordinator at USF. Allen's son graduated early and is already enrolled. Now, two other Plant players are coming, including Burgess.

"I know a lot of kids say a school has a family environment," Burgess said. "But that really is the case at Indiana. Coach Allen is a father whose kid played at Plant and is now with him at Indiana. We got to see what the coach was like at our school and we know he'll take care of us."

We didn't get Roundtree (14), but 5 of the top 30. 

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/footballpreps/hometeam-30-class-of-2017s-top-football-recruits/2311143

8. ATH Juwan Burgess, Plant

15. LB Thomas Allen, Plant 

18. DE Tramar Reece, Clearwater

23. OT Tyler Knight, Northside Christian

24. WR/CB Whop Philyor, Plant 

I'm really disappointed about Roundtree. Him and Reece would have been an incredible tandem. I know Allen and Reece tried really hard to bring Roundtree aboard. We did everything we could.

Sounds like Lovie Smith made Roundtree a top priority. That's a tough battle when the opposing coach was the head football coach of the recruit's hometown pro team only a couple years ago, and is well respected in that city.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

On 2/1/2017 at 3:14 PM, ccgeneral said:

We didn't get Roundtree (14), but 5 of the top 30. 

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/footballpreps/hometeam-30-class-of-2017s-top-football-recruits/2311143

8. ATH Juwan Burgess, Plant

15. LB Thomas Allen, Plant 

18. DE Tramar Reece, Clearwater

23. OT Tyler Knight, Northside Christian

24. WR/CB Whop Philyor, Plant 

Added to the collection. I didn't catch any rankings yet. 

QB Michael Penix (Tampa Bay Tech)

DE Jonathan King (Tampa Bay Tech)

LB James Miller (Armwood)

LB Micah McFadden (Plant)

Two more this year. Bonhomme and Nofoagatoto’a.

@TBTimes_Sports: Indiana currently has 10 players on the roster from the Tampa Bay area. @IndianaFootball @RodneyHomeTeam @TB_Times #IUFB @CAIKnightsFB

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/high-schools/2018/12/19/indian-adds-more-tampa-bay-talent-in-clearwater-academys-nofoagatotoa-bonhomme/