Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ThompsonHoosier

IUFB Offseason Updates

Just now, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Bryant Fitzgerald Ruled Ineligible For 2017 Season

Indiana will be without a key newcomer this fall, and it's through no fault of his own.

IU on Saturday announced freshman defensive back Bryant Fitzgerald was ruled a final non-qualifier ineligible for the 2017 season by the NCAA Eligibility Center after the school's compliance department incorrectly advised him on eligibility requirements. The department appealed the decision to the NCAA twice, but was denied both times.

“Bryant Fitzgerald is a smart, outstanding young man who is academically prepared and capable of being very successful at IU,” IU Vice President and Director of Athletics Fred Glass said in a statement. “His ineligibility is not his fault. It is ours. On behalf of myself and everyone associated with IU Athletics, I personally apologize to Bryant and his family for our mistake. While it was an isolated and unintended one, it is no less devastating to Bryant, and I could not feel worse about it. The process leading to the mistake has been fixed and redundancies added, and we are very confident nothing like this will ever happen again. I am very disappointed in the NCAA for not granting our waiver request nor our appeal. Bryant should not have to bear the brunt of our mistake, and the NCAA could have, and should have, remedied that in the interest of this student’s well-being, who is in this situation though absolutely no fault of his own.”

Fitzgerald will not be allowed to play or practice this fall, but he will still be able to maintain his full scholarship and keep all student-athlete support.

The Avon (Ind.) High School product and former three-star recruit could still have four years of eligibility should he choose to redshirt this year.

This is absolutely dispicable. I hope whoever was advising him lost their job. And the NCAA is the worst governing body in all of sports. What a joke!

11 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

And if it's not bad enough that Fitzgerald is the one penalized for something he had no part in, just wait until UNC walks away unscathed for fake classes.

After Hooker U I'm not worried about this. UNC challenged the authority of a bunch of old white. They are in for it

28 minutes ago, Iugradman said:

Glass should suffer punishments for this screw up. It makes recruiting, especially instate, much more difficult for Allen now. Purdue is sitting back and lighting a cigar after seeing this.

Nothing is going to happen to Glass. Nothing is going to happen to recruiting. Penn State and Baylor had two absolutely horrific scandals and didn't suffer at all in grabbing good players. And this certainly isn't that. Fans have taken the whole negative recruiting thing and contorted it into this massive issue and it's incredibly annoying. Relax.

So can we please not make stupid leaps over this? I feel for Bryant. He will be back. No one is going to be talking about this next week. Saying Purdue is lighting a cigar over this is asinine.

5 hours ago, ThompsonHoosier said:

Looks like we'll be seeing a new alternate uniform....hopefully it's some version of the script Indiana.

Yeah from what I can tell it looks pretty cool. It appears that there's going to be a new helmet too but you can't see much.

Indiana University and adidas today unveiled the “Hep’s Rock” Primeknit alternate football uniforms, which will be make their on-field debut on Saturday, September 23 vs. Georgia Southern.

Developed in collaboration with Indiana University Athletics, the “Hep’s Rock” alternate uniforms pay homage to team tradition and serve as a tribute to the 10-year anniversary of the passing of former Head Football Coach, Terry Hoeppner. Coach Hoeppner’s legacy includes the creation of a ritual that the Hoosiers still practice today. In 2005, Hoeppner had a limestone boulder that was found in the practice field removed and installed at the north end zone of Memorial Stadium. The boulder was dubbed "The Rock" and prior to the start of each home game, the Hoosiers would touch “The Rock” before running onto the field. Hoeppner died of brain cancer on June 19, 2007, and The Rock (renamed "Hep's Rock" in 2010) now serves as motivation for the team as well as a tribute to Hoeppner's influence on the football program.

Inspired by the team’s tradition and to honor to Coach Hoeppner, the new alternate uniforms are centered around a subtle limestone graphic that was designed to replicate the visual aesthetic, texture and color of “Hep’s Rock.” Creating a new signature look for the Hoosiers, the classic crimson jerseys are emblazoned with the Indiana script logo and player numbers that are highlighted with the custom-created limestone pattern to match the limestone pants.

The “Hep’s Rock” theme continues with the TECHFIT compression baselayer that features a limestone graphic and is highlighted with the “Indiana” moniker prominently placed on the chest. Additionally, the stone colored adizero 5-Star 5.0 gloves feature a white oversized graphic of the “Indiana” script logo on the palms. To complete the head-to-toe look, the team will wear an anodized crimson helmet with a white interlocked “IU” logo on the sides and white adidas adizero and FREAK cleats with crimson accents.

The “Hep’s Rock” Primeknit alternative uniform is at the forefront of design and innovation, providing players the perfect blend of style and technology for elite performance. Made with a cutting-edge, proprietary yarn blend that increases durability and abrasion resistance, Primeknit is the premier compression uniform system, featuring the latest generation of adidas TECHFIT technology. Primeknit helps keep players cool and increases range of motion, giving athletes an unrivaled level of comfort and allowing them to perform at their highest levels. The jersey's padlock system secures tension over the shoulder pads, while the bodymap fit adheres to the player, making it difficult for opponents to grab, hold or tackle.

For more information and images of Indiana's “Hep’s Rock” Primeknit alternate football uniform, please visit http://news.adidas.com/US and join the conversation on Twitter and Instagram via @HoosierFootball@adidasFballUS and https://www.facebook.com/adidasfootballus #teamadidas #GoIU.

42 minutes ago, RBB89 said:

New Hep's Rock alternate uniform will be worn against GA Southern. I believe that is the 10 year Insight Bowl reunion. Look closer at the numbers and the pants:

IMG_9545.png?dl=1

IMG_9548.png?dl=1

Good thought behind them.  I like the jersey but to me the pants look less like limestone and more like they just haven't been washed in a while, at least based on this picture.