Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

(2017) SF Alfred Hollins

3 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

U

yes.

And that's why Crean won't get a pass for a while. While he has admittedly hit home runs and has more than his share of strike outs.

Plus these guys are being targeted in the 3rd or 4th tier for a reason.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

And here's where our thoughts diverge. EVERY coach has the occasional swing and miss. That's why there are 13 scholarship players and a ten man rotation. Having a back bench guy who doesn't mess with team chemistry even when he never sniffs the court is a good thing, as long as we have talent in our ten man rotation.

Tim Priller needs to work hard in practice, be a great in-game cheerleader, and never, ever complain about not playing, in return for his at-will scholarship. If he gets his degree in three and we need the scholly for next year? Well...

And, for what it's worth, the jury is still out on Gelon.

17 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

ESPN has Hollins as a four star. He may be a plan B or plan C recruit for us, but he's nationally regarded on a completely different level than April, Gelon, or MSB. In fact, for those that are "star struck" he has a higher recruiting ranking than Moore or Durham.

He's a low 4 star that doesn't fill a need. If Crean thought he was an OG or Oladipo we would have already been on him. If we aren't getting Preston and taking a smaller player would rather go after Tucker. 

15 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Well then, you are very likely gonna have to settle for "bust", because while it's a possibility, we are unlikely to get Preston.

I mean what's going to happen is going to happen. Just giving my take on the situation and what I think we should do. If we miss on Preston, which looks like we will, we should shut it down until grad transfers start popping up. I don't agree with signing a player that will help us 3 years down the line for a 1 year stop gap. I havn't wrote him off yet, but to me McSwain (who was one of these late signings) was an unnecessary get and takes away from one of the 2018 studs we are currently on. If we want to stay on top of the national scene we need to stop these late signings for a 12th or 13th man on the end of the bench. Then again I'm not the coach.

Just now, Brass Cannon said:

He's a low 4 star that doesn't fill a need. If Crean thought he was an OG or Oladipo we would have already been on him. If we aren't getting Preston and taking a smaller player would rather go after Tucker. 

No one is saying we offered. CTC and Chuck were obviously invited by Hillcrest Prep, and they thought they were well served by leaving no stone un-turned and taking a look. 

Also, Hollins played at a small SF Catholic school until this year, and still had multiple major conference offers (ASU, LSU, etc). Checking out a kid like that is the kind of extra effort that has, at times led to our biggest recruiting under-the-radar home runs.

And here's where our thoughts diverge. EVERY coach has the occasional swing and miss. That's why there are 13 scholarship players and a ten man rotation. Having a back bench guy who doesn't mess with team chemistry even when he never sniffs the court is a good thing, as long as we have talent in our ten man rotation.

Tim Priller needs to work hard in practice, be a great in-game cheerleader, and never, ever complain about not playing, in return for his at-will scholarship. If he gets his degree in three and we need the scholly for next year? Well...

And, for what it's worth, the jury is still out on Gelon.

I agree but it's the way it happens that makes a difference.

If we filled our "10" spots with the talent we wanted then used 3 spots for projects and good kids, that would be fine.

However Crean was clearly looking to land MORE talent in 17 than he is doing.

Preston, Wilkes, Waters, Williams, Randolph, Bamba, and honestly the list goes on forever.

If he was content with our '10' and trying to backfill then he would have targeted these kids to begin with.

He was trying to improve the roster and couldn't. Misses after misses lead to lower rated targets.

It's the means and the method that makes all the difference.

We don't have to talent he wants and he's hoping for another miracle.

2 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

No one is saying we offered. CTC and Chuck were obviously invited by Hillcrest Prep, and they thought they were well served by leaving no stone un-turned and taking a look. 

Also, Hollins played at a small SF Catholic school until this year, and still had multiple major conference offers (ASU, LSU, etc). Checking out a kid like that is the kind of extra effort that has, at times led to our biggest recruiting under-the-radar home runs.

I understand that. I'm assuming we went more to see Green in 2019 anyway and they figured might as well check those guys out while we're here. 

This is a fair point. My stance on the previous posts stands but scouting all options is encouraged no matter what.

24 minutes ago, Beachfront Property said:

You guys are giving up on Gelon based on what? He came into the second scrimmage and made two three pointers. He has a great looking stroke and Crean talked about his work in the weight room. Is he going to give us a ton of minutes this year? No. But April and Priller did not contribute to the team with their play. It is still very possible that Gelon becomes a very valuable role player.

Haven't given up on Gelon.  I do believe you take a "project player" at each position but not multiple at the same position.  Gelon, Green, and Durham all seem to be "wait and see" players at the guard spot.  Did that hurt us in pursuing Waters?  I don't know but we have a ton of guards.  I look forward to Gelon developing into the role of Ziesloft as an off guard, lights out shooter.

My issue with taking another wing is be desperately need a big or a big wing.  We don't need another wing in the 2017 class that we currently don't have a scholarship available.  Crean has had success with under ranked or under recruited players that have strong worth ethics.  He also has a track record of having players transfer out of the program.  There are at least 10 players in college that were once Hoosiers.  You're going to have some success finding "diamonds in the rough" when you get 10 more shots at finding them over the last few years.

Just now, HoosierAloha said:

Haven't given up on Gelon.  I do believe you take a "project player" at each position but not multiple at the same position.  Gelon, Green, and Durham all seem to be "wait and see" players at the guard spot.  Did that hurt us in pursuing Waters?  I don't know but we have a ton of guards.  I look forward to Gelon developing into the role of Ziesloft as an off guard, lights out shooter.

My issue with taking another wing is be desperately need a big or a big wing.  We don't need another wing in the 2017 class that we currently don't have a scholarship available.  Crean has had success with under ranked or under recruited players that have strong worth ethics.  He also has a track record of having players transfer out of the program.  There are at least 10 players in college that were once Hoosiers.  You're going to have some success finding "diamonds in the rough" when you get 10 more shots at finding them over the last few years.

I wouldn't see Green as a wait and see. He looks to me like he's earning PT already. 

Now on Gelon I just don't see it. We have 4 guys ahead of him next  year probably 5. And even if we don't add anybody for 18 he'd be 4th guy in the rotation. And you know Crean will add at least 1 guard in 18. 

I just don't see him ever being more than a Priller for us. 

2 hours ago, ccgeneral said:

Guess this can go here. CTC watching Hillcrest vs St. Anthony per Bossi.

Shamiel Stevenson is another player on the radar from Hillcrest.

City of Palms Classic. A few others that play later.

Ayala/Diallo vs Forrester/Bamba

Louis King, MJ Walker, RJ Barrett