Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Todd Jadlow...and Bob Knight

I did want to say I and I'm sure the other mods appreciate how everyone has stayed pretty civil even on a topic like this where both sides are so passionate one way or the other. There may have been a few comments that people may have took offensive or felt it shouldn't have been said but nothing too over the top. It's definitely appreciated fellas.

Honestly as soon as I saw this thread I figured it would get ugly quick.

8 hours ago, KB0 said:

The 7th grade basketball coach at our school made a kid hold a baby doll above his head for an entire practice. Said maybe he'd take better care of the doll than he did the ball. 

Coach was an absolute Purdue Person, but I thought it was pretty funny. Glad it wasn't me.

Recently?

It's almost like maybe these players knew that Coach Knight was tough, maybe yelled a bit, threw some tantrums, but they respected him because he was one of the best basketball coaches in the world, and dammit, he wanted you to play for him. Then you got to campus and maybe realized some of his actions were a little more extreme then expected, but you assume maybe he was just in a bad mood; it won't happen again. Then it gets worse, but you still respect him because he's been looking after you and you're winning and becoming a better player, so you stick it out and don't say anything.

Literally the plot of every domestic abuse case in America.

The idea of anyone consenting to the alleged actions is difficult to imagine. I can't get behind someone who would treat others humans that way.

See: Stockholm Syndrome

Found this quote from Jadlow at http://www.espn.com/seasonbrink/todd_jadlow.html

"of Knight's former players, Jadlow might have taken the Coach's dismissal from IU the hardest. "I don't know what I'm going to do with all my Indiana stuff," Jadlow said after Knight's firing. "I'm sure not going to be wearing anything Indiana. For the first time in my life I'm ashamed to say that I'm a graduate of Indiana." He went on to say: "I, personally, don't believe the two-faced (IU) administration… It's just sad the way things transpired. This is a guy (Knight) who should have a monument of him erected." 

If the quote is legit then that doesn't sound like a guy who experienced the things he's now claiming to have experienced. 

He said in the book that he still cares very much for Knight. He also feels bad about disrespecting the program. He came back and was actually at Hoosier Hysteria.

31 minutes ago, RBB89 said:

He said in the book that he still cares very much for Knight. He also feels bad about disrespecting the program. He came back and was actually at Hoosier Hysteria.

I guess I just find it hard to understand how someone could have gone through all those things that he alleges Knight did and still care a lot about him, respect him, see him as a father figure, etc. I would have told the guy to kick rocks the moment he squeezed my balls, cracked a clipboard over my head, etc and never looked back. Like Stuhoo said though, using a logical thought process while trying to figure out this situation probably won't work given Jadlow's path in life.  

I guess I just find it hard to understand how someone could have gone through all those things that he alleges Knight did and still care a lot about him, respect him, see him as a father figure, etc. I would have told the guy to kick rocks the moment he squeezed my balls, cracked a clipboard over my head, etc and never looked back. Like Stuhoo said though, using a logical thought process while trying to figure out this situation probably won't work given Jadlow's path in life.  

Plus, many people in situations like that treat their abuser much like Jadlow treats Knight. Still loves and respects him even after all he was put through. It isn't as cut and dried as "he grabbed my balls so I hate him" for a majority of people.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

2 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

Plus, many people in situations like that treat their abuser much like Jadlow treats Knight. Still loves him and respects even after all he was put through. It isn't as cut and dry as "he grabbed my balls so I hate him" for a majority of people.

Sadly, you see the same situation where there is spousal abuse yet the victim won't let go of the abuser.

19 hours ago, Dalton26 said:

I did want to say I and I'm sure the other mods appreciate how everyone has stayed pretty civil even on a topic like this where both sides are so passionate one way or the other. There may have been a few comments that people may have took offensive or felt it shouldn't have been said but nothing too over the top. It's definitely appreciated fellas.

Honestly as soon as I saw this thread I figured it would get ugly quick.

Agreed.  I'd like to add that the offensive comments have been limited towards either Bob Knight or Todd Jadlow.  No poster on poster hate.  <3

Sadly, you see the same situation where there is spousal abuse yet the victim won't let go of the abuser.

Yep. That's what I was sort of referring to, but just went with the umbrella approach. It's a sad thing to see and there seems to be a similar issue here.

My football coach used to grab us by the facemask with his left hand and then smack our helmet with his right.  It would make my ears ring.

During the games when we got hit on the helmet it wasn't a big deal because I'd have heard the ringing before.

Now people would want him in jail.  The Pification of America

My football coach used to grab us by the facemask with his left hand and then smack our helmet with his right.  It would make my ears ring.

During the games when we got hit on the helmet it wasn't a big deal because I'd have heard the ringing before.

Yay? Ignoring the whole brain trauma thing, I've never understood why people pull out the ol' tough love card. Bob Knight went beyond tough love way too many times. It's just basketball. There's no reason to treat people like that. None. It's not war.

Yay? Ignoring the whole brain trauma thing, I've never understood why people pull out the ol' tough love card. Bob Knight went beyond tough love way too many times. It's just basketball. There's no reason to treat people like that. None. It's not war.

You don't understand how that got us ready for the field of battle?

If my first time getting my bell rung was against my opponent, they've already won. A coach can't hug me ready for a battle.

If my first time getting my bell rung was against my opponent, they've already won. A coach can't hug me ready for a battle.

Did your coach and ever drop trou and take a dump at midfield in front of the team?

IU's did.

I'm assuming Jadlow wasn't wearing a helmet on his boys. Not even remotely the same scenario.

Yeah man, that gridiron is a real battle field. Wish my coach was more abusive; I may have been a better athlete!

You weren't going into battle. Awful comparison, especially considering we have veterans as members of this board.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app