Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

southsidehoosier

Feelings from fans then and now (2002 vs 2016 Sweet Sixteen)

A lot of similarities between these two Sweet 16 games (ACC vs B1G, both conference champs, both IU teams underseeded, 5 vs 1, etc)....

I have to stretch my memory to think about 14 years ago but I don't remember really feeling that confident going into the game with Duke. Duke was heavily favored to win the tournament. This year I feel more confident with our chances against UNC. The grit and determination of this years team definitely reminds me of the mindset Coverdale and Fife had as the leaders of that team. Wouldn't mind a similar finish to this years game, minus the Fife foul. 

A lot of similarities between these two Sweet 16 games (ACC vs B1G, both conference champs, both IU teams underseeded, 5 vs 1, etc)....

I have to stretch my memory to think about 14 years ago but I don't remember really feeling that confident going into the game with Duke. Duke was heavily favored to win the tournament. This year I feel more confident with our chances against UNC. The grit and determination of this years team definitely reminds me of the mindset Coverdale and Fife had as the leaders of that team. Wouldn't mind a similar finish to this years game, minus the Fife foul. 

I remember thinking IU didn't have a chance against Duke.  I was just happy to be in the Sweet 16.  To be honest, that 2002 Duke team was miles above this current North Carolina team.  But I like our chances much better against this NC team than that 2002 Duke team.  I'm still grateful to Jay Williams for being a mediocre FT shooter.

I don't really remember being nervous before 2002 game, but maybe the nerves have just faded away... Or maybe I just want this game SO BAD after everything we have gone through since then...

All I hope is I get a moment that vividly sticks in my mind in this victory the way the AJ Moye block is so prominent every time I think about the 2002 game.

It's been a while, but I think I expected Duke to win, but held out hope for an upset.  When Duke went up big early, I had a sinking feeling that it wasn't going to be close.  Then the comeback happened.  Then Moye's block happened.  That was one of the most exciting IU basketball moments I've witnessed! (I was too young to remember '87.) Then the desperate feeling of Fife's foul... Then, finally the relief when the free throw and put-back both missed.  I still remember where I was when it happened!

I was 8 during that run in 2002 and in the 2nd grade lol. So I was happy of course. Careless in how I thought. Just thought we'd win every game. I don't remember a whole lot really. At 8 I was "watching" the game. But I was happy. Now I'm happy yet cautious.. I don't want to get my hopes up because I know what is coming Friday will be the toughest game we've played in years. It'll be the biggest game we've played in years... but still happy.

The UK game has changed my confidence level in IU. Not because of who they beat, but HOW THEY BEAT THEM. That was the first game I can remember where things weren't going well and we grinded out a victory. Loved our resiliency. If IU can win this game, I think we make the national title game.