Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

hoosierpap

Glass Update w/ Hutch- (UK rivalry, Off-court trouble, Bob Knight, etc)

http://www.heraldbulletin.com/indianaanderson/q-a-indiana-athletic-director-fred-glass-talks-to-cnhi/article_d7a74e1e-6d6e-11e6-8c49-83714c8418ce.html

Some interesting stuff in here about the AD's outlook on the UK rivalry, efforts with Bob Knight, and how off the court stuff has impacted recruiting...

"Number one, it’s all about recruiting. Our coaches are not allowed to recruit a kid who has a significant or reoccurring discipline issue without my personal sign off on it. We’re very sensitive about red flags, and we’ve passed on some unbelievable kids. Your readers would probably be sick if they knew of some of the people we’ve passed on from a performance standpoint that we thought were just too much of a risk from a conduct standpoint."

Good article Pap. They clearly have tried to avoid "red flags" in BB recruiting the past couple years. It seems to be working out so far. It's more fun having kids you can rally behind anyhow. Especially when they win.

I've been seeing glowing firsthand Twitter accounts of McSwain and Cujo being great kids.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

http://www.heraldbulletin.com/indianaanderson/q-a-indiana-athletic-director-fred-glass-talks-to-cnhi/article_d7a74e1e-6d6e-11e6-8c49-83714c8418ce.html

Some interesting stuff in here about the AD's outlook on the UK rivalry, efforts with Bob Knight, and how off the court stuff has impacted recruiting...

"Number one, it’s all about recruiting. Our coaches are not allowed to recruit a kid who has a significant or reoccurring discipline issue without my personal sign off on it. We’re very sensitive about red flags, and we’ve passed on some unbelievable kids. Your readers would probably be sick if they knew of some of the people we’ve passed on from a performance standpoint that we thought were just too much of a risk from a conduct standpoint."

That's great. I have no problem with the passing on kids with discipline issues, they aren't worth the headache. Some things are more important than winning. I don't want IU to become a win at all costs kind of school.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Is this "passing" on someone to recruit or "passing" on taking a commitment from some high level player? Big difference, but I suspect he is suggesting they passed on recruiting some top name players. 

Edit: I could absolutely see Jaquan Lyle as one of the kids included here.

Is this "passing" on someone to recruit or "passing" on taking a commitment from some high level player? Big difference, but I suspect he is suggesting they passed on recruiting some top name players. 

Edit: I could absolutely see Jaquan Lyle as one of the kids included here.

Definitely the former, but it sure sounds good :)

AD Glass gets it, period. I might not always agree with his decisions but I don't see him as an AD who is going to dime someone out. Look at the way he uses I, we, and he! That's language from a leader. I know some think he's a fan boy or that athletics have declined under him but the program's seem to be headed in the right direction.

He has a bowl game for football with an improving team
He has two B1G titles and three sweet 16s.
He has a national title in soccer.
He has B1G titles in baseball with appearances at the CWS
The women's basketball team has an appearance in the dance with a win for the first time in 25+ years.
He has the Olympians, especially the BA Lily King

He's getting money for facility upgrades that should help recruiting.
- Cook Hall
- Assembly Hall
- NZE and soon SEZ
- Bart Kaufman Field

I would love to see all sporting facilities between 17th street and the bypass. If they get the funding for a new golf course Fred would be The Man!