Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Naturalhoosier

RIP Yogi Berra

There are hundreds of Yogism's out there.  Here is a small sampling of what the world lost:

Always go to other people's funerals. Otherwise they won't go to yours.

Baseball is 90 percent mental. The other half is physical.

I really didn't say everything I said.

I usually take a two-hour nap from 1 to 4.

A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore.

Slump? I ain't in no slump. ... I just ain't hitting.

Pair off in threes.

The sad part is with baseballs popularity dropping since the strike most younger people have no clue that he is a top 5 catcher of all-time. Baseball has always been my favorite sport. NFL capitalized on the strike. Simple as that. Up until that point baseball was still the most popular.

A lot of guys go, ‘Hey, Yog, say a Yogi-ism.’ I tell ’em, ‘I don’t know any.’ They want me to make one up. I don’t make ’em up. I don’t even know when I say it. They’re the truth. And it is the truth. I don’t know.

From the time I started to follow box scores I was a Brooklyn Dodger fan (yes, I really am that old) and absolutely hated the Yankees.  But there was always something about Yogi and the way he played the game that whoever was the designated catcher in our summer pick-up games was always Yogi Berra.  I saw a tweet earlier today from Osterman that Yogi caught both games of twin bills 117 times.  That is an amazing statistic.

The sad part is with baseballs popularity dropping since the strike most younger people have no clue that he is a top 5 catcher of all-time. Baseball has always been my favorite sport. NFL capitalized on the strike. Simple as that. Up until that point baseball was still the most popular.

More like top 2, best catcher of all time has to be either him or Johnny Bench.  A lot of people can overlook just how incredible he was as a player, an 18 time all star and 3 time MVP; over 14,000 innings caught, 10 WS titles, threw out almost 50% of baserunners, oh and he struck out a mere 414 times in over 2,200 games.  Yogi was an absolute force behind the plate, if someone doesn't say the best catcher ever is him or Bench they are wrong.

And Jackie Robinson was still out.

More like top 2, best catcher of all time has to be either him or Johnny Bench.  A lot of people can overlook just how incredible he was as a player, an 18 time all star and 3 time MVP; over 14,000 innings caught, 10 WS titles, threw out almost 50% of baserunners, oh and he struck out a mere 414 times in over 2,200 games.  Yogi was an absolute force behind the plate, if someone doesn't say the best catcher ever is him or Bench they are wrong.

And Jackie Robinson was still out.

WRONG!  He was safe!  :cheese: