Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2017) C Mohamed Bamba to Texas

23 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Not true. Neither of them is a true point guard. However, if we get Tremont Waters that would be hugely appealing to a big.

I feel like having other good players around him though, regardless of position, would be appealing, no? That way you can pitch a B10 championship, National title, etc

2 minutes ago, VO5 said:

I feel like having other good players around him though, regardless of position, would be appealing, no? That way you can pitch a B10 championship, National title, etc

It doesn't hurt, but a true point like Yogi attracted bigs like Cody, Noah, TB.

Waters could have the same effect.

I think the main pull we have is that him and Bryant are good friends (I'm 99% sure I read that somewhere), and if Tom has a big year this season and bolts, Bamba could be his replacement. He keeps track of TB's progression, a big jump this year would look appealing to another big man with a similar game.

16 hours ago, Uspshoosier said:

Chances Kentucky can pull in Bamba? #AskCoachB

They will fight it out with Duke, UConn, UNC and Indiana. - @PaulBiancardi

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

OV to Michigan this weekend. Guess this is his first one. 

@SamWebb77: TMI has learned #Michigan will host 2017 Westtown (Pa.) 5-star C Mohamed Bamba on offical visit this weekend - 

Michigan is a great academic institution that is also a good major conference basketball school. 

Makes sense to me; remember, Bamba is a top five player that is considering Harvard. He is NOT UK material, IMO.

True to a point but all top 5ers have handlers to some sort involved in the money grab. No way Harvard or Michigan wins here. And I think our odds are just a teeny bit better than those schools.

OV is impressive though.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

22 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

True to a point but all top 5ers have handlers to some sort involved in the money grab. No way Harvard or Michigan wins here. And I think our odds are just a teeny bit better than those schools.

OV is impressive though.

Not all; many. For instance, Porter had his dad/coach, who will travel out west with his kid to be on staff with Porter's godfather. That's not really a money grab. Zeller? Nope. 

Not all; many. For instance, Porter had his dad/coach, who will travel out west with his kid to be on staff with Porter's godfather. That's not really a money grab. Zeller? Nope. 

In Porters case, his dad was his "handler" and he was paid handsomely for it. Zeller is a good one but he also wasn't a top 5er.

16 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

In Porters case, his dad was his "handler" and he was paid handsomely for it. Zeller is a good one but he also wasn't a top 5er.

Maybe we're parsing words here, but I disagree. The big money meal ticket for the family is Junior's NBA future, not Senior's Assistant Coach role with one of his best friends. Porter Sr. and Romar go back a long way; the primary "inducement" to Porter Sr. is that he gets to continue the path with his son for another year, and Porter Jr. gets to play for a coach that is all but part of the Porter family.

From the Seattle Times:

"Porter Sr., who declined a similar offer from UW last year, and Romar are longtime friends. The UW coach played  basketball with Porter Sr. on the Athletes in Action team when Romar’s NBA career ended in 1985. Romar also coached with Porter Sr. one year with AIA. Romar is also Porter Jr.’s godfather. Porter Sr. had been an assistant with the Missouri women’s basketball team the past three years where he helped coach his daughters Bri and Cierra, a sophomore and freshman respectively last season."

PS: True...Cody wasn't a top-5er, but he was around 12th and that's in the same 'pay-to-play' stratosphere for many.

I think at this point IU's BIG in this class is either Gak or unknown...but who knows.

Bamba- (?) UK/DUKE/IU

Richards- (?) UK

Gak- ?

Huffman- UNC

Garza- Iowa

Can Duke get Carter and have a big or two stay on the roster from this season? Giving us a shot at Bamba? Doubt we even get a shot to convince him.

Is there a legit shot of KU landing Gak? It seems like a lot of movement on that one. I would be happy with Gak because that would solidify our big situation, DD and Gak for several years.

I don't like to be recruiting against KU unless we have a really strong connection. It gets even worse if KU is desperate.