Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

Watching FAU and trying to figure out what makes them soft on defense this year. Not sure if it is schematically or not. They give up a bit of dribble penetration, but it looks like guys getting beat 1 on 1.  

I’d be curious what people who watch them a lot think. Maybe it’s effort that will solve itself as the tourney nears? Davis just got beat on a very lazy close out. 

9 minutes ago, str8baller said:

Watching FAU and trying to figure out what makes them soft on defense this year. Not sure if it is schematically or not. They give up a bit of dribble penetration, but it looks like guys getting beat 1 on 1.  

I’d be curious what people who watch them a lot think. Maybe it’s effort that will solve itself as the tourney nears? Davis just got beat on a very lazy close out. 

Combination of some things I believe.   Playing tougher competition definitely plays a part.    Not sure their defense last year was that much better.  Probably need to see what their defensive efficiency was before they entered their conference tourney last year.   Ken pom continues gathering data throughout so going on the run they did during the conference tourney and ncaa tourney probably boosted their actual numbers up more then what they were at.    When you have a 7’1 guy down low the coach probably allows players on perimeter to be a little more aggressive and take more chances.  Offense has always been ahead of the defense for them.   Their offense is good enough to make it to the final 4 again especially with the guards they have but their defense is bad enough for them to get beat in the first round 

Grand Canyon is so much better than the rest of the WAC.   Tarleton is 11-3 in conference but they are not close to them even at home.    If Grand Canyon loses in the conference tourney and doesn’t get in that will stink because they are good 

2 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Grand Canyon is so much better than the rest of the WAC.   Tarleton is 11-3 in conference but they are not close to them even at home.    If Grand Canyon loses in the conference tourney and doesn’t get in that will stink because they are good 

I wish Bryce Drew would have come back to Valpo....there should always be a Drew there IMO. Just no reason to leave GCU 

4 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Probably need to see what their defensive efficiency was before they entered their conference tourney last year.   Ken pom continues gathering data throughout so going on the run they did during the conference tourney and ncaa tourney probably boosted their actual numbers up more then what they were at.

I was wondering about that and assumed the FF run propped it up a bit. But even with a good run this year, it won’t end up great starting at 100. I can see the conference jump hurting them this year.…beating up on bad teams can pump up your kenpom numbers.  

That’s why I’m sort of trying to think of it in a mechanical sense instead of analytics sense. And obviously this is me taking that perspective because of IU’s current situation.   

Love their offensive spacing. It is elite. Great spacing is key to a good offense. It doesn’t matter if you’re Phil Jackson or Bob Knight. And FAU gets guys spread out and up on the 3 point line ready to shoot it. 

9 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Combination of some things I believe.   Playing tougher competition definitely plays a part.    Not sure their defense last year was that much better.  Probably need to see what their defensive efficiency was before they entered their conference tourney last year.   Ken pom continues gathering data throughout so going on the run they did during the conference tourney and ncaa tourney probably boosted their actual numbers up more then what they were at.    When you have a 7’1 guy down low the coach probably allows players on perimeter to be a little more aggressive and take more chances.  Offense has always been ahead of the defense for them.   Their offense is good enough to make it to the final 4 again especially with the guards they have but their defense is bad enough for them to get beat in the first round 

Part of it schedule, part of it is that they definitely come out unfocused sometimes. Game to game, I think their lack of height def hurts them more in the American, where there is more size on average. And it really plummeted this year when Rosado (their backup C) was out, forcing them to play Tre Carroll, who's basically a 6'7 wing at the 5 every time Goldin went out. 

28 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

What do I know. Lol      game pressure on Grand Canyon.   Tie game with 5:21 to go 

58-58

5 to go

4 minutes ago, johnsoniu said:

No doubt they are the class of the WAC , but they struggle to put teams away on the road

Worked out for Tarleton in the end but what a terrible foul call on them right before the under 4 timeout 

Northwestern looks terrible at home to start this game.  Michigan up 10 with 11 min to go in first half 

Northwestern up 3 at half.  Played like crap and still up 3 

2 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Northwestern up 3 at half.  Played like crap and still up 3 

Fox Sports talking head said at halftime as if it were a matter of fact that "Boo Buie is the best player in the history of the program".  I immediately thought no.......that's Evan Eschmeyer.  Went back and looked at the stats Eschmeyer put up while surrounded by putrid talent and I think could confirm that.  John Shurna on that list as well.

1 minute ago, Uspshoosier said:

Tarleton up 4 with 15 sec to go.    Did Grand Canyon get fouled on that 3 with a no call?    It’s on a muted tv so couldn’t tell 

I thought so. The announcers thought so. Drew thought so.

Refs , not so much

20 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Fox Sports talking head said at halftime as if it were a matter of fact that "Boo Buie is the best player in the history of the program".  I immediately thought no.......that's Evan Eschmeyer.  Went back and looked at the stats Eschmeyer put up while surrounded by putrid talent and I think could confirm that.  John Shurna on that list as well.

I would probably still take Buie