Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
Stuhoo

Tony Barbee?

from Wiki: 
"Barbee played college basketball for the University of Massachusetts under Coach John Calipari. Barbee later served as an assistant under Calipari at Memphis and often cited Calipari as his mentor."

Let's just make it clear to him that most of Cal's strategies won't be used in Indiana.
On a different note, it shows that Barbee is from Indianapolis.

Nice!   i'm no expert, but he seems like a quality assistant coach, his record seems to indicate he wasn't too successful as a HC though.  

Can't tell if I'm excited about Barbee? or if I'm excited that there is just some movement on the assistant coach job.  seems like there have been no rumors or updates for awhile.

We have the recruitng in place. Now that we are being forced to come back to recruiting Indiana/Midwest fulltime, we need an assistant willing to pull Crean aside and question his ingame situational awareness and adjustments. Not trying to turn this into a bashfest on Crean, but I prefer a coach instead of a recruiter. That being said, Barbee was an accessory to laying the foundation that has completely destroyed college basketball...dunno why anyone would want that on their sideline.

Yeah I'm really confused why we would look at someone who was involved with the two schools that Cal steamrolled with violations. Especially as the lead recruiter at Memphis. I couldn't imagine Glass being ok with this kind of hire. Sent from my place of advanced, analytical thinking: the toilet.

The peeps over at another site haven't heard anything serious about this.

Curious as to why people are OK with hiring Barbee as an assistant but condemn Calipari's recruiting tactics?

If he can get be a solid coach, recruiter, and roll model, please come on board.

If he knew anything about Marcus Camby, Derrick Rose, etc. then please take it elsewhere.  No room in btown for that.

Get my point!

I think that while I would initially withhold judgment, I would need much more information than with some other potential choices..

Hoosier Coop has it about right above.

I think that while I would initially withhold judgment, I would need much more information than with some other potential choices..

Hoosier Coop has it about right above.

He was on the staff at UMass for Camby, Memphis for Rose... I don't know if he was involved in either but there's no way he doesn't know anything about those situations.

I think this would be an incredibly risky hire and one that Fred Glass would not make. 

He had a horrendous tenure at Auburn... terrible on the court and possibly worse off it. He lost 12 players in 4 years to transfers/dismissals and one of those dismissals was for a point-shaving scandal. There's no way this happens, and I don't understand how any IU fan would actually want it to.

EDIT: He left Memphis a few months before Derrick Rose committed, so I don't know how involved he could have been with that. Either way, he is a Calipari protege. Why would IU fans want that? 

Was there any trouble in Auburn the last 4 years with him?   in terms of recruiting and violations that is.

I couldn't find any right off the bat, but then again, he might not have been put into a situation where violations could occur because not too many big time recruits came his way or even gave them a look i'm guessing.

Yeah I'm really confused why we would look at someone who was involved with the two schools that Cal steamrolled with violations. Especially as the lead recruiter at Memphis. I couldn't imagine Glass being ok with this kind of hire. Sent from my place of advanced, analytical thinking: the toilet.

you're not in the back stall at Big Red Liquors are you...?

Hahahahaha no, but I'm sure you'll find me one day.

Sent from my place of advanced, analytical thinking: the toilet.

Dang...I needs some paper....this roll is soakin wet.....

His relationship with Calipari isn't an issue for me. Hell, Tom Crean is viewed as one of Caliparis best friends among coaches.

Crean runs the ship (for now). If anything were to happen it's on his shoulders.

I don't think that's true w/ Crean and Cal anymore. 

[quote name="WindyCitySource" post="67418" timestamp="1400682818"]I don't think that's true w/ Crean and Cal anymore. [/quote]

Yeah all of the potshots at IU aren't that friendly.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

although his head coaching run was pretty unsuccessful, I wonder if this is the type of guy that flourishes in a supporting role like assistant coach.  Does anyone have any examples of his success as assistant at Memphis?  It was awhile ago, and his head coach role since then may have given him some more experience and a template for "what-not-to-do" at his next position.