Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
HoosierReb01

Indiana @ Purdue Post Game Thread

I do think you make some fair points I just don't see him getting any better in creans system. Look at zeller.. I may be the only one to think this but I don't think he really got any better from year one to year two

Speaking of players who have played like crap.

Before I found myself wanting to engage in every thread, read every site about the hoosiers, now if just feel there isn't hope, I stopped watching the game at the bar, I've never done that. I hope things turn around

Sent from my iP

I've criticized Tom Crean plenty, so I feel the need to at least be fair here.  At the time Pritchard was pretty much the only big man, or pretty much the only backup depending if we had Cody or not.  Cody couldn't play 40 minutes, so Pritchard would have to play some.  He even went hard after another big, Garrett Green, so Cody could play his natural position at the 4.

I have serious doubts on Crean's ability to win a banner here, I'm not sure he'll even take us to the Final Four, and his substitution patterns drive me crazy.  So I'll agree somewhat on those points.

It's not so much that people are substituted in the game, it's when he chooses to do so and why! He did the same thing with Jeremiah Rivers, Verdell Jones and would take out Jordan Hull. I believe he feels that he owes everybody on the bench playing time to the detriment of the team. 

Before I found myself wanting to engage in every thread, read every site about the hoosiers, now if just feel there isn't hope, I stopped watching the game at the bar, I've never done that. I hope things turn around

Sent from my iP

I hear ya...this season has turned into total horsechips...I can't even enjoy the UK home beating...

it's just...yeah, whatever...

although Syracuse is making things a little interesting...but mostly...meh

I stopped watching too.  First time I can ever remember stopping...  I even watched through the first 2 years of Crean in Bloomington.

not sure I'm qualified as a welcoming committee member, but thanks for dropping by coach...

speaking of IU coaches...

do any of you follow Dakich on twitter? he and the IU's women's volleyball coach had a little go at it....it was rather hysterical...

she called him out for being an IU grad and that he should be respectful of the program...

he called her out saying that she was "unreal" and that he would highlight her season on the air...

(IU volleyball didn't fare well this year)

not sure I'm qualified as a welcoming committee member, but thanks for dropping by coach...

speaking of IU coaches...

do any of you follow Dakich on twitter? he and the IU's women's volleyball coach had a little go at it....it was rather hysterical...

she called him out for being an IU grad and that he should be respectful of the program...

he called her out saying that she was "unreal" and that he would highlight her season on the air...

(IU volleyball didn't fare well this year)

Truth be told, I'm not going to be hard on Dakich for what he was saying during the game of course I agreed with him so there's that.  He's paid to comment on what he sees during the game, good and bad, and that's what he was doing.  He can be really hard on IU, but if you watch him do other games it's not just IU he's hard on.  He's been hard on UI too.

Truth be told, I'm not going to be hard on Dakich for what he was saying during the game of course I agreed with him so there's that.  He's paid to comment on what he sees during the game, good and bad, and that's what he was doing.  He can be really hard on IU, but if you watch him do other games it's not just IU he's hard on.  He's been hard on UI too.

I'm a huge Dakich fan...to me, he epitomizes what an IU fan should be...

but then, he has a couple of other things going for him...

former player

former coach

checked MJ

has a popular radio show

has ESPN's approval...

the guy has his chit together, and quite frankly...has the pulse of IU...

I just found it humorous that the volleyball coach engaged him... 

Being ready is over-rated.  If a kid is a lock for the lottery, the sooner he gets drafted the sooner he gets to work with pro coaches and also the sooner his transition from that initial rookie contract to his first free agent season occurs.  NBA has a rookie salary structure in place so that moving up or down in the lottery isn't that significant of a financial impact.  How much more ready was Cody by staying in school for another year?  I'd argue not that much.  He did happen to get drafted much higher than expected but going to the Bobcats is probably more of a curse than a blessing and I don't think his being drafted that high had anything to do with being at IU an extra year.

This pretty much sums up the NBA Draft, and kids looking at going. And I disagree with the people who talk about how he isn't going to develop by sitting on a NBA bench as opposed to playing here. For one, has Crean ever really developed a big man, not just in his time here at Indiana but also at Marquette. Some of that comes back to the assistants and them also not developing a big man, but the end result is the same, and the answer is not really. The only big man of note that has been drafted after being on a team coached by Crean is Cody, and it could easily be argued that didn't have a ton to do with Crean or his staff, as much as Cody just being that good. In the NBA there are some truly amazing coaches who are great at developing players, also if Noah is drafted in the lottery there is a good chance he won't be sitting on the bench as much as people are implying. We've all heard about Noah's work ethic, it isn't like that is all going to go away the second he gets in the NBA, plus he could easily end up working with a coach with a better idea of how to develop him for the NBA. 

[quote name="ejc6886" post="39879" timestamp="1392526186"]I just don't see Vonleh going pro. He will get ate up, if he goes to the NBA.[/quote] He will be counting his $$ just like Cody. He will be a much better pro than him tho.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

[quote name="IUfan34" post="39947" timestamp="1392561969"]noah is far from nba material if u ask me. just like zeller. he wasnt either. sad to see noah leave before developing his game more.

IUfan34[/quote]

Right now he's not "ready" for the NBA, but Noah's size and potential has NBA front offices drooling. He has a much brighter future than Cody, as he may be a star one day while Zeller will never be more than a solid role player.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

noah is far from nba material if u ask me. just like zeller. he wasnt either. sad to see noah leave before developing his game more.

IUfan34

Once again. Why can he not develop his game in the NBA? There are plenty of guys who "weren't developed" enough for the NBA, yet they developed into much better players while in the NBA. 

[quote name="KingPG21" post="39956" timestamp="1392566598"]Once again. Why can he not develop his game in the NBA? There are plenty of guys who "weren't developed" enough for the NBA, yet they developed into much better players while in the NBA. [/quote]

Scouts love his potential and his nba ready body. Noah has size and mass unlike some of the other prospects. They'll develop him in the league. Look at miles plumlee this season.

Whether Noah is "ready" or not is mostly beside the point and might be completely irrelevant to his decision. Our team right now looks completely dysfunctional. They don't know what they are supposed to be doing on the court. They don't look like they particularly like playing together. What would you do if you were Noah? Sign on for another year with the same group or go become a millionaire?

[quote name="Rayl" post="39962" timestamp="1392567130"]Whether Noah is "ready" or not is mostly beside the point and might be completely irrelevant to his decision. Our team right now looks completely dysfunctional. They don't know what they are supposed to be doing on the court. They don't look like they particularly like playing together. What would you do if you were Noah? Sign on for another year with the same group or go become a millionaire?[/quote]

Take the money and run

Scouts love his potential and his nba ready body. Noah has size and mass unlike some of the other prospects. They'll develop him in the league. Look at miles plumlee this season.

I'd add in that the people who are talking like he would never get into the game are over stating it a bit. I mean Cody is playing 17 minutes a night, and it isn't like he is sitting behind a scrub, Al Jefferson is maybe the best offensive center in the NBA, also the worst defensive center, but still. Reggie Evans played 25 minutes a night for the Nets last season, and the only thing he can do in the NBA is rebound. Roy Hibbert got 15 minutes a night as a rookie, and his only discernible NBA talent coming into the league was he was 7'2". Noah will get minutes right out of the gate

[quote name="KingPG21" post="39970" timestamp="1392569073"]I'd add in that the people who are talking like he would never get into the game are over stating it a bit. I mean Cody is playing 17 minutes a night, and it isn't like he is sitting behind a scrub, Al Jefferson is maybe the best offensive center in the NBA, also the worst defensive center, but still. Reggie Evans played 25 minutes a night for the Nets last season, and the only thing he can do in the NBA is rebound. Roy Hibbert got 15 minutes a night as a rookie, and his only discernible NBA talent coming into the league was he was 7'2". Noah will get minutes right out of the gate[/quote]

Exactly there will be minutes for Noah. He is an exceptional rebounder and with the right direction some nba team can mold him into a very nice player. He won't get any better in my opinion in his current situation. I also don't think zeller is done molding into a nice nba player it's only his rookie season and is playing behind one of the better players on his team.