Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2014) SF Josh Cunningham to Bradley

From the outside, it does seem that Indiana is the obvious choice. But I would qualify that by saying that not every kid has the same priorities/wants. Maybe he wants to be the star for a mid-major, maybe he prefers a city campus, maybe he's looking to get far away from Chicago. But again, it seems fairly clear that IU has the most to offer Josh:

- Indiana has the best basketball tradition, is in a great college town and has the best arena/fan base of any of these options. Great academic school, in the B1G, putting multiple guys in the NBA lottery, and close to home. But at the same time, they are re-building, and have some uncertainty surrounding the future of the program and coaching staff (though he would have to hear that from someone outside of IU, like an opposing coach).

- Bradley is closest to home (though like I said before, it is NOT Chicago) and he has a chance to be their star. But with B1G offers on the table, you're reminded it's only Bradley. The opportunity to be the star vs the opportunity to get that big conference exposure. History says guys usually go with the latter. 

- USC has the location (sort of), but it's super far away, the doormat of the Pac12 and academics will be tough. Unproven head coach who may have just caught lightning in a bottle at FGCU and parlayed it into a job he's not fully qualified for. Might be a few years before he has them competing, if ever. 

- Creighton has had recent success, is relatively close, is now in a big conference, but after losing Dougie McBuckets who knows what kind of team they will be. They have the same coach, but Doug has been the face of the program for 4 years. They are moving into uncharted territory. 

- Minnesota is a city campus, in the B1G, with a young, up-and-coming coach. They also have a weird arena, not much basketball tradition, colder weather than Chicago and a coach that will leave as soon as a better offer comes along (he left FIU after just one season). If they make the NCAAs in the next season or two, other schools will come calling. Even if just for the name. 

- Oklahoma is a wild card... no idea why they are involved but they are a big conference school with a well-known and successful coach. But it's Oklahoma, which for a Chicago kid has got to be quite the culture shock. Been to NCAA tournament in each of last 2 seasons (OU and Creighton are the only schools on this list that can say that). 

Is Izzo pushing for him too? He is trying to get everyone else we seem to want.

They were on him early but not in his finalists. I think it looks good for us here. No inside info. I was concerned someone was going to jump in late, but we luckily avoided that. Would be a good addition IMO.

[quote name="scottybower" post="56981" timestamp="1396461042"]Any idea what time he's announcing today?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners[/quote]

I think it's next Wednesday.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Retweeted by Josh this week. I thought it was a pretty funny and excellent mixture of sincere, polite congratulations and rabid fandom:

1. @JoshMCunningham Great Season! You and your teammates have a lot to be proud of! Hardwork, Dedication, Persistance, Student Athletes #iubb

Hasn't he set and then changed his announcement date several times now? I wouldn't write this on your calendar in ink.

I don't think so. There was some confusion with who's on his list and if he cut it earlier in this thread. It was put out a while ago that an announcement wouldn't be until after his season. He had an extended season.