Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

Music Thread

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

SO IT FEELS LIKE WE’VE MIGRATED TO “DESERT ISLAND DISCS” TERRITORY.

Here’s how that works: If you were stranded on a desert island for a very, very long time and could only bring ten albums, which would they be? @GloryDays is in.

Here are mine, in no particular order: 

• Lou Reed— New York

• Big Star— Radio City

• The Heartbreakers— L.a.M.F. Found ‘77 Masters

• Tchaikovsky- 5th Symphony 

• The Modern Lovers— The Modern Lovers

• Uncle Tupelo— Anondyne

• Gene Clark w/Doug Dillard— The Fantastic Expedition of Dillard and Clark

• XTC— Skylarking

• Waxahatchee— Saint Cloud

• Pavement— Slanted and Enchanted 

We did this before, right? Gotta go back and compare off the top of my head now to off the top of my head then:

The Sonics- Here are The Sonics

Allman Brothers Band-At Fillmore East

Big Star-#1 Record

Springsteen-Born to Run

Boomtown Rats-A Tonic for the Troops

REM-Fables of the Reconstruction

Huskier Du-Zen Arcade

Bad Brains- I Against I

Jeff Buckley-Grace

Magnolia Electric Company-Trials & Errors

- AC/DC - Bonfire Box Set (5 discs, ~4 hours worth of live recordings and unreleased demos from the Scott days, leading into the Back In Black album. Cheating? Sue me.)

- Mayer - Live at the Nokia Theater

- Beck - Morning Phase

- Anderson East - Delilah

- Leon Bridges - Coming Home

- Def Leppard - Hysteria

- Gary Clark Jr Live (2014)

- Jamestown Revival - The Education of a Wandering Man

- J. Cole - Cole World: The Sideline Story

- ODESZA - A Moment Apart

Today’s the anniversary of the release of Funkadelic’s “Maggot Brain”. Extraordinary, singular album. Nothing like it. The title track is the most purely evocative piece of modern music known to me. No idea how many times I’ve listened to it, but every time I react differently somehow. Unbelievable. The idea that it’s a single take of a basically completely improvised guitar solo is mind blowing. And George Clinton’s production decision to de-emphasize everything but the guitar down to atmospherics, what a choice. Eddie Hazel’s life was a mess. But dude did this, so he’s a freaking legend.

6 minutes ago, Demo said:

Today’s the anniversary of the release of Funkadelic’s “Maggot Brain”. Extraordinary, singular album. Nothing like it. The title track is the most purely evocative piece of modern music known to me. No idea how many times I’ve listened to it, but every time I react differently somehow. Unbelievable. The idea that it’s a single take of a basically completely improvised guitar solo is mind blowing. And George Clinton’s production decision to de-emphasize everything but the guitar down to atmospherics, what a choice. Eddie Hazel’s life was a mess. But dude did this, so he’s a freaking legend.

P-Funk is da best. 
Huzzahh!!

True story- me and my friend were outside the Bluebird in Bloomington after a  P Funkshow (30 years ago). My friend was eating a chili dog. We were back by the bus. George Clinton walked out and looked at my Buddy and said what are you eating there? my buddy said chili dog from the cart here. George took a big bite of it and said that’s a damn good chili dog. Such a nice guy he was so welcoming to us.

35 minutes ago, mamasa said:

True story- me and my friend were outside the Bluebird in Bloomington after a  P Funkshow (30 years ago). My friend was eating a chili dog. We were back by the bus. George Clinton walked out and looked at my Buddy and said what are you eating there? my buddy said chili dog from the cart here. George took a big bite of it and said that’s a damn good chili dog. Such a nice guy he was so welcoming to us.

That is a strong freaking meet right there. I’m envious. 

Rolling Stone Magazine's Best album covers of all time:

1. Joy Division- Unknown Pleasures

2. The Beatles- Abbey Road

3. Sly and the Family Stone- There's a Riot Goin' On

4. Pink Floyd- The Dark Side of the Moon

5. The Notorious B.I.G.- Ready to Die

6. Patti Smith- Horses

7. Funkadelic- Maggot Brain

8. The Clash- London Calling

9. Cyndi Lauper- She's So Unusual

10. Nirvana- Nevermind

I'm not very aesthetically minded on this sort of thing, barely remember album covers at all, but has the ascension of online music diminished them to such a degree that the last great album cover was damn near 30 years ago? Or is this just what's left of Rolling Stone being what's left of Rolling Stone? Thoughts?

5 minutes ago, Demo said:

Rolling Stone Magazine's Best album covers of all time:

1. Joy Division- Unknown Pleasures

2. The Beatles- Abbey Road

3. Sly and the Family Stone- There's a Riot Goin' On

4. Pink Floyd- The Dark Side of the Moon

5. The Notorious B.I.G.- Ready to Die

6. Patti Smith- Horses

7. Funkadelic- Maggot Brain

8. The Clash- London Calling

9. Cyndi Lauper- She's So Unusual

10. Nirvana- Nevermind

I'm not very aesthetically minded on this sort of thing, barely remember album covers at all, but has the ascension of online music diminished them to such a degree that the last great album cover was damn near 30 years ago? Or is this just what's left of Rolling Stone being what's left of Rolling Stone? Thoughts?

Playing Heretic Pride by The Mountain Goats on Spotify while at work (what a great listen it is!).

• Yes; there's an album cover.
  • Unlike 30 years ago, it's not a relevant part of the experience.

42 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Playing Heretic Pride by The Mountain Goats on Spotify while at work (what a great listen it is!).

• Yes; there's an album cover.
  • Unlike 30 years ago, it's not a relevant part of the experience.

The album art was never part of my experience. If every album looked like Smell the Glove I would have been fine with it. Was listening to Dog Man Star by Suede, fantastic album,  when that list came over my feed and had to google the cover. I love Joy Division and couldn't place the Unknown Pleasures cover at all.

8 minutes ago, Demo said:

The album art was never part of my experience. If every album looked like Smell the Glove I would have been fine with it. Was listening to Dog Man Star by Suede, fantastic album,  when that list came over my feed and had to google the cover. I love Joy Division and couldn't place the Unknown Pleasures cover at all.

Are we talking the all black Smell the Glove cover or the original?   :)

I inherited the original Sticky Fingers album with the working zipper from my uncle, had the original E. Pluribus Funk Grand Funk album in the shape of a coin, and a bunch of others that I wish I still had (when I moved out 25 years ago, my mother stored all of my albums in their non-AC attic).

image.jpeg.f5d3e2c37910e6d17cc50d6beecbdbec.jpeg

2 minutes ago, GloryDays said:

Wore that one out.

Still listen to it.

21st Century Schitzo Man

April Wine does a great cover of that on Harder Faster (another criminally underrated band lol)

9 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Great album cover. Criminally underrated album:

image.jpeg

This is one I'm not familiar with (other than their backstory)- I'll have to check it out!