Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

Music Thread

25 minutes ago, Demo said:

If he’s not Satan, he is absolutely the dude who took the bite out of the apple. Michael McDonald looks at that guy with envy.

Some bands bring the sadness into a band, but that band started with Terry Kath and always had a devious insider who daydreamed of duets with Cher.  :)

My buddy just turned me on to Ren Gills (goes by Ren). As I heard this, I felt like I'd been crushed by every emotion in my being. He uses his persona for mental health awareness (was once bedridden 23 hours a day due to various issues). Self taught guitarist. The video absolutely makes the song, as it tells a horribly sad tale (Violet's tale- there are other tales by Ren). I'm absolutely in awe of this song- my wife won't listen to it again because it makes her too uncomfortable.  Hooked me until the final spoken word- oh, and the video is filmed live...

32 minutes ago, Demo said:

They are very good. If you aren’t familiar with him, google Richey Edwards, the lead singer/songwriter. Quite the story there.

Me and Richey Edwards had beers at my local Irish pub last weekend.

SHHHHHHHH...

NIL season is depressing as ****, so I’m gonna try to generate content with a music poll; one where you’ll have to argue against yourself. Here’s the task at hand:

Name a truly excellent album by a truly terrible musical act. So… a catalogue of crap with a diamond stuck in the middle of it. You gotta slam a band and still love something they did. Bonus points if the one great album isn’t the first one.

Ready? Go.

15 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

NIL season is depressing as ****, so I’m gonna try to generate content with a music poll; one where you’ll have to argue against yourself. Here’s the task at hand:

Name a truly excellent album by a truly terrible musical act. So… a catalogue of crap with a diamond stuck in the middle of it. You gotta slam a band and still love something they did. Bonus points if the one great album isn’t the first one.

Ready? Go.

Love this, but the examples are not really from bands I hate or find terrible. Just, like, one good-or-great record and nothing else I like much.

Bloc Party — Silent Alarm (debut, no bonus points)

Phantom Planet — self-titled. 3rd album, weird for a s/t. Pretty cravenly tried and succeeded to jump on the Strokes-y garage rock revival.

And then one by a band I like quite a bit, but they could’ve quit after their debut, it’s so sui generis and perfect: Sleigh Bells — Treats. Again, in this case I really like plenty of their other work, think the sophomore album in particular is quite good. But Treats was special.

3 hours ago, lillurk said:

Love this, but the examples are not really from bands I hate or find terrible. Just, like, one good-or-great record and nothing else I like much.

Bloc Party — Silent Alarm (debut, no bonus points)

Phantom Planet — self-titled. 3rd album, weird for a s/t. Pretty cravenly tried and succeeded to jump on the Strokes-y garage rock revival.

And then one by a band I like quite a bit, but they could’ve quit after their debut, it’s so sui generis and perfect: Sleigh Bells — Treats. Again, in this case I really like plenty of their other work, think the sophomore album in particular is quite good. But Treats was special.

Outstanding!

I will give the Phantom Planet a listen. I'm a Bloc Party fan beyond that excellent album.

Can I go super-old school for some?

1. My perfect fit: Dusty in Memphis. Dusty Springfield made a lot of crap. Came to Stax in Memphis and made a complete all-time classic, and then went back to making a bunch of crap again.
  2. Katrina and the Waves (self-titled): Their third album - it had the song Walking and Sunshine, and was really good all the way through! And then they sucked a bunch.
  3. Myracle Bruh - Life on Planet Eartsnop. Terrible band name. Terrible album name. Terrible music once they got going. But, one GREAT power pop ear candy album ... just once. After this one they tried way, way, way too hard and it sucked.

Edit: I'll add one more to make it a little spicy:

Billy Joel - The Stranger: After a series of self-important albums sung directly through his nose, Billy Joel makes a classic that sounds really good, and is memorable enough to have generations singing along. And then? He has a very lucrative career full of more self-important albums sung through his nose.

I'll go the classic rock route (feel free to disagree):

• Frampton - Frampton Comes Alive (shouldn't count because this is a live greatest hits album)
    • It's sad when the live album is tons better than the studio.
  • Nazareth - Hair Of The Dog
    • Great album!  Nothing outside of this.
  • Supertramp - Breakfast In America
    • Name another Supertramp album off the top of your head.

Now for some Alt quick hits:

• Oasis - (What's the Story) Morning Glory?
  • Vertical Horizon - Everything You Want
    • Super good album!
  • 311 - 311 
    • This is their opener so no extra points.

Great challenge Stu!

Added:  Robin Trower - Bridge of Sighs

10 minutes ago, jepwatso said:

Love this

The Verve - Urban Hymns

So many others

Oh wow - yes, The Verve is a great example of a dogsh!t band that had one beloved, really good album. And it wasn't their first that was the good one. 

Tons of bands that had one great album in them to start their career and then had nothing good to follow. (Stone Roses, Modern Lovers).

By the way, for you music junkies: 

HAVE

YOU 

EVER

Heard you ever heard something as remarkably odd, interesting, disturbing, and awesome yet awful ... AS THIS?

7 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

By the way, for you music junkies: 

HAVE

YOU 

EVER

Heard you ever heard something as remarkably odd, interesting, disturbing, and awesome yet awful ... AS THIS?

Haha oh my. That made my dog leave the room.

6 minutes ago, jepwatso said:

Haha oh my. That made my dog leave the room.

If you play guitar or drums, I double dog dare you to try to recreate that syncopation. It is awful yet truly extraordinary, and if you've been wanting something novel it's much of that as it gets.

Believe it or not, thousands of hours of forced practice at the hands of a deranged Svengali father bore this sound from three New Hampshire sisters. That's not a funny picture on the album cover; that's them.

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

If you play guitar or drums, I double dog dare you to try to recreate that syncopation. It is awful yet truly extraordinary.

I can’t play either of those instruments, yet can still appreciate the interesting notes being played.

I also can’t sing, but might be better than that lead singer.

I had never heard of Kent Nishimura until maybe 4 hrs ago(thank you, Rex Chapman), and I’ve now listened to 10 or so of these and they’re freaking hypnotic. He’s 21, and he takes full arrangements and somehow distills all of the instrumental parts along with the vocal cadence into a single guitar line and then freaking kills it. It’s like the old Eric Clapton line about hearing Robert Johnson and asking who the other guy playing was. I don’t know if this is genius or a parlor trick or something in between, but it is a sight to see. 

48 minutes ago, Demo said:

I had never heard of Kent Nishimura until maybe 4 hrs ago(thank you, Rex Chapman), and I’ve now listened to 10 or so of these and they’re freaking hypnotic. He’s 21, and he takes full arrangements and somehow distills all of the instrumental parts along with the vocal cadence into a single guitar line and then freaking kills it. It’s like the old Eric Clapton line about hearing Robert Johnson and asking who the other guy playing was. I don’t know if this is genius or a parlor trick or something in between, but it is a sight to see. 

Some guitarists are special because of their left hand; that kid has one helluva right hand. Anyone with a next level right hand must be a spectacular bassist too.

It's Jazz Appreciation Month!

Do you know what a blue note is?

Jazz is not a style of music.  It is a way to play music.

I like The Bird, Miles in Spain, Art Blakley...

Not in to much New Orleans Jazz unless I can stand way back and flop around.

Now for different: 

John Zorn - Naked City

Peter Brotzmann - Machine Gun

Evan Parker - Topography Of The Lungs

Don Cherry - Complete Communion

John Coltrane - Interstellar Space

Black Music Sunday: It's Jazz Appreciation Month! (dailykos.com)

30 years ago today one of my all time favorite albums and a band I still listen to and saw in concert as recently as last year, Smash by Offspring.  Any other Offspring fans out there?

In response to Stu’s laments about the human tendency to fall back on familiar listening choices, I’m trying an experiment this summer and devoting Saturday yard work listening to unfamiliar acts only, This morning’s choice was Loud Songs for Quiet People by Sweet Nobody. They’re a California indie 4-piece with only a couple of albums out. Really a fun listen with great energy. The vocalist is a woman named Joy Deyo and she’s terrific. Thumbs up. 

40 minutes ago, Demo said:

In response to Stu’s laments about the human tendency to fall back on familiar listening choices, I’m trying an experiment this summer and devoting Saturday yard work listening to unfamiliar acts only, This morning’s choice was Loud Songs for Quiet People by Sweet Nobody. They’re a California indie 4-piece with only a couple of albums out. Really a fun listen with great energy. The vocalist is a woman named Joy Deyo and she’s terrific. Thumbs up. 

Oh wow that’s a fun little piece. Reminds me a lot of one of my favorite indie female lead singer throwback bands, Belly.

*goes to Spotify, adds album*