Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

On 5/31/2024 at 9:08 PM, IUFAN1976 said:

Exactly!   Let’s see how this season plays out.  If we don’t win consistently  or finish in the top 3 in the B10 and final game of the B10 tournament, elite 8 in the NCAA tournament, that would be a giant disappointment, IMO

As someone old/ancient enough to have lived through the “glory days” (freshman at IU the undefeated ‘75-‘76 season) I find it incomprehensible that IU has made it to the Elite 8 once (ONCE!!!) in 30 years.  I get that winning the natty is tough, and often requires a little dose of luck, but ONE Elite 8 in 30 years….Mind blowing.

Hats off to the young fans as I’m not even sure what they are latching on to.

EDIT: I was curious how the other “traditional” blue bloods have done during that period.  In the last 30 years, 29 tourneys due to covid, the number of times the schools have made the Elite 8 is as follows:

UK - 14

UNC - 13

Duke - 12

Kansas - 12

UCLA - 6

IU - 1

In addition, UCONN has made the Elite eight 11 of those 29 seasons.

One of the schools above doesn’t belong with the others :(

26 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

As someone old/ancient enough to have lived through the “glory days” (freshman at IU the undefeated ‘75-‘76 season) I find it incomprehensible that IU has made it to the Elite 8 once (ONCE!!!) in 30 years.  I get that winning the natty is tough, and often requires a little dose of luck, but ONE Elite 8 in 30 years….Mind blowing.

EDIT: I was curious how the other “traditional” blue bloods have done during that period.  In the last 30 years, 29 tourneys due to covid, the number of times the schools have made the Elite 8 is as follows:

UK - 14

UNC - 13

Duke - 12

Kansas - 12

UCLA - 6

IU - 1

Since RMK was fired IU has done a horrible job of hiring coaches; they fired the one genuinely good coach they had in that time. Even complete imbeciles could've lucked into one good hire in that span, the ineptitude would be kind of impressive if it wasn't so sad.

2 hours ago, DChoosier said:

UK - 14

UNC - 13

Duke - 12

Kansas - 12

UCLA - 6

IU - 1

We both have seen those glory days and I am longing for the time we get at least closer to it.  It is beyond me how these younger generation of fans are actually clinging to.  It surprises me that these younger fans haven’t jump ship and start rooting for Turdue.

23 hours ago, DChoosier said:

UK - 14

UNC - 13

Duke - 12

Kansas - 12

UCLA - 6

IU - 1

As somewhat younger but also part of that trajectory, 10 and in Bloomington from our 76 NC through the 87 while at IU, I see now it’s my fault as I then left for law school and the program went downhill shortly after. 

Ok kidding aside it is crazy when we just look at wins and tourneys, but it’s not really. The RMK termination of course started the slide, the U failed in replacing him, then the Sampson disaster (caused by the administration’s choices more so in how to deal with it than the hire) destroyed the program overnight and we’ve been on the long trail to climb the mountain back ever since. 
That doesn’t mean we’re not part of the blueblood history, but yeah, we haven’t made it back. We’re not one of the elite ball programs now, but while I don’t think anyone thinks differently, we have seen some great years in between that show the promise of this program remains. I mean Tom freaking Crean had IU as one of the best teams in the country for several years. We had swag even though his coaching was, well, you know. 
So it starts at the top. I am one who is well off the Woodson bandwagon, he’s not the guy, but he could be the next step up the ladder. We should be pretty damn good this year. We’re not an EE team but it all comes down to getting the right guy next hire.

If I were a student I’d see what the program can be again, that I think is the real frustration driving this thread.

Coach Woodson stated he is leaning on his NBA experience….having coaches make a list of top ten players at each position in transfer portal.  Then go recruit from that pool of players declaring success….I guess for 0 wins thus far 2024-25. Three and four year development of high school recruits are gone…Woodson noted….However, nothing noted of NIL money.  Just leaning on his NBA experience.