Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

(2026) - (C) Sam Funches

3 minutes ago, 94Bulldog said:

His stock is rising quickly, went from a 4 star to a 5 star by end of the paragraph!!  ;)

Basic 247 he's a 4-star but a 5-star on the 247 composite.  Don't ask me to explain it; I just pass it along.

There's basketball that's so painful to watch your eyes still hurt the next day.  Last night Germantown lost in OT to Canton 48-46.  Germantown led 10-6 after 1Q; Canton led 18-14 at halftime; Germantown led 26-24 after 3.  So after scoring just a combined 50 pts. thru 3 Qs, they put up a combined 34 in the 4th Q to end the game in regulation tied at 42.  The low score wasn't due to a deliberate slowdown by either team, it was just bad bball.  A player from each team was ejected early in the 2nd Q and a fight in the corridor just outside the gym floor stopped the game for about 10 min. midway thru the 4th Q.  Neither team was involved but a whole bunch of people left the stands and raced to the corridor.

I scored Funches with 16p; 8r; 2s; 2b; 3t.  I'm happy to provide info to the board but am not qualifed to evaluate bball talent.  However, it's hard for me to believe that Funchess is rated as a 5-star at least on what I saw in this game.

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

There's basketball that's so painful to watch your eyes still hurt the next day.  Last night Germantown lost in OT to Canton 48-46.  Germantown led 10-6 after 1Q; Canton led 18-14 at halftime; Germantown led 26-24 after 3.  So after scoring just a combined 50 pts. thru 3 Qs, they put up a combined 34 in the 4th Q to end the game in regulation tied at 42.  The low score wasn't due to a deliberate slowdown by either team, it was just bad bball.  A player from each team was ejected early in the 2nd Q and a fight in the corridor just outside the gym floor stopped the game for about 10 min. midway thru the 4th Q.  Neither team was involved but a whole bunch of people left the stands and raced to the corridor.

I scored Funches with 16p; 8r; 2s; 2b; 3t.  I'm happy to provide info to the board but am not qualifed to evaluate bball talent.  However, it's hard for me to believe that Funchess is rated as a 5-star at least on what I saw in this game.

48-46 in OT.  Somewhere Bo Ryan is crying tears of joy.

One sportswriter's list of Mississippi's Dandy Dozen inluded Funches.

Sam Funches

Germantown | Sophomore

Center | 6-10

The 6-foot-10 center averaged 17 points, 10 rebounds and five blocks last year. Funches is ranked top-10 nationally by the 247Sports Composite in the class of 2026 and is a constant participant at USA team camps. He holds offers from a number of Power-5 schools.

Germantown (5-7) defeated Clinton (10-2) 47-44 in a sloppily played game.  Funches 7p;  10r;  1a;  2s;  3b;  4t   3-10 FG and 1-3 FT.  He got rebounds but many were solely because of his height not necessarily positioning or leaping ability.  He should be under a no dribbling injunction because he does not handle the ball off the dribble.  2 of the 3 games I've watched him play have left me unimpressed and it will be interesting to follow just how actively we pursue his recruitment. 

Named Honorable Mention on MaxPreps Sophomore All-American Team

6-10 | Center | Uncommitted
Top 10 prospect shined with averages of 18 points, 11 rebounds and six blocked shots per outing despite the Mavericks finishing with a below .500 record.

OTR Summer Jam 16U Standouts -

Sam Funches – 2026 – Team Thad EYBL 

Sam Funches came into Summer Jam as one of the most highly touted players on the list and he dominated interiors in the 16u division all weekend. He put up 20+ points and 10+ rebounds in all four games. Funches has good size and physical tools at 6’10, far beyond most in his class. A lot of his points come off of dunks around the rim and second chance opportunities, but Funches also flashed the ability to step out and hit the three-ball this weekend. Funches already holds offers from 20+ D1 schools.