Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

2024 CB Josh Philostin to Indiana

Checked my local News tonight and saw this!

Cardinal Newman football playmaker Josh Philostin commits to Indiana Hoosiers

Palm Beach Post

Josh Philostin (2) of Cardinal Newman (2) catches a pass over the middle as Pahokee's Bijay Boldin (9) closes in on the play on Thursday, August 25, 2022 in Pahokee.

One of West Palm Beach's top playmakers is poised to play football in the Big 10. 

Cardinal Newman star Josh Philostin committed to join Indiana University in a post to X on Wednesday evening. 

A three-star prospect per 247 Sports, Philostin touted 30 total offers before committing to the Hoosiers. 

Philostin, a state champion sprinter, plays wide receiver and defensive back for the Crusaders. He has 612 all purpose yards and six touchdowns offensively in his career as well as five total interceptions. 

Philostin's commitment got me thinking about just how much faith a new staff has to out of necessity place in a former one in a way that in basketball you just don't. If Woody recruited McNeeley, Queen, Sanon and Davis(a dude can dream) and then retired in April, a new staff could make informed judgements on their scheme fits in a single morning eating donuts and watching readily available video. But how much time could the new staff have possibly spent on on a kid like Josh Philostin, particularly when the DB coach was the last hire? Even if you've got all the available video you'd want you still have to find the ones that show you the things you want to see. Now multiply that by a factor of, what, 25. Feels messy and kind of under-informed. Also explains why they're so ready to take on ex-JMU recruits, even if they're taking a competitive step up. At least there's some level of comfort with them.

18 minutes ago, Demo said:

Philostin's commitment got me thinking about just how much faith a new staff has to out of necessity place in a former one in a way that in basketball you just don't. If Woody recruited McNeeley, Queen, Sanon and Davis(a dude can dream) and then retired in April, a new staff could make informed judgements on their scheme fits in a single morning eating donuts and watching readily available video. But how much time could the new staff have possibly spent on on a kid like Josh Philostin, particularly when the DB coach was the last hire? Even if you've got all the available video you'd want you still have to find the ones that show you the things you want to see. Now multiply that by a factor of, what, 25. Feels messy and kind of under-informed. Also explains why they're so ready to take on ex-JMU recruits, even if they're taking a competitive step up. At least there's some level of comfort with them.

I am sure they evaluated him at JMU, as well. 

I don't think it would be hard to evaluate the few we've had committed, to see if we want to keep them, honestly. Just have the GA's, assts comb through things. I mean, if all you do all day is watch film--- you can get quite a bit done each day(I would know lol), plus JP would have been a priority. Remember there is a Cignetti, DC, two different DB coaches all evaluating these guys.... 4 sets of eyes for one player, at minimum. 

But this type of stuff is what CCC alluded to when he told President Whitten-- "he will stage a constant battle against complacency" 

And 10000% I can understand why they want their top JMU guys to come with them, comfortably, trust, lay a foundation... all that stuff with those recruits. 

28 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I don't think it would be hard to evaluate the few we've had committed, to see if we want to keep them, honestly. Just have the GA's, assts comb through things. I mean, if all you do all day is watch film--- you can get quite a bit done each day(I would know lol), plus JP would have been a priority. Remember there is a Cignetti, DC, two different DB coaches all evaluating these guys.... 4 sets of eyes for one player, at minimum. 

But this type of stuff is what CCC alluded to when he told President Whitten-- "he will stage a constant battle against complacency" 

And 10000% I can understand why they want their top JMU guys to come with them, comfortably, trust, lay a foundation... all that stuff with those recruits. 

Plus Adams was PSU, granted in a non recruiting role, and Philostin had a PSU offer.

33 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Agree with all, and I’ll add that this is why you keep the recruiting staff in place through February signing day. You look at their evaluations, get their input, do your own, and have some built-in background info/relationships built on the guys coming in. They were probably through the evals and roundtabling about the ‘24 class in about 2 days. 

There’s also some sort of organization already in place with the recruiting board. It certainly isn’t the new staff’s system, but it’s a launching point. *This can also be a negative, though in this case I’m not too worried about it.* When Allen’s guys took over for Wilson’s staff, they physically threw the recruiting board in the trash. It was filled entirely with MAC, C-USA, etc. players.