Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Grace Berger - Indiana Fever

When Tamika Catchings was still around, the Fever were widely regarded as one of the best-run organizations in the league. They made the playoffs 12 straight times (a record which still stands today), won a championship and had two other Finals appearances all without a #1 pick on their roster. Since Catchings retired, they've probably been the worst-run organization in the league. They finally get to pick first overall, then get to do it back to back years and this is the result? 

Clark and Boston will probably be fine in the long run, but there's a lot of dead weight on this roster. 

(Just realized this would probably be better for the General WBB thread. Understood if the mods wish to move it.)

3 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

When Tamika Catchings was still around, the Fever were widely regarded as one of the best-run organizations in the league. They made the playoffs 12 straight times (a record which still stands today), won a championship and had two other Finals appearances all without a #1 pick on their roster. Since Catchings retired, they've probably been the worst-run organization in the league. They finally get to pick first overall, then get to do it back to back years and this is the result? 

Clark and Boston will probably be fine in the long run, but there's a lot of dead weight on this roster. 

(Just realized this would probably be better for the General WBB thread. Understood if the mods wish to move it.)

Agreed with all of this as well!

19 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

For a #1 pick, and just looking at box scores, Boston does not seem to be producing at a very high level.  I admit i have not watched many games so fill me in on whether she is likely going to be great.

5 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

For a #1 pick, and just looking at box scores, Boston does not seem to be producing at a very high level.  I admit i have not watched many games so fill me in on whether she is likely going to be great.

She was Rookie of the Year last season, so not sure what's going on now. I've seen various comments other places that she showed up for training camp overweight and out of shape. 

52 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

She was Rookie of the Year last season, so not sure what's going on now. I've seen various comments other places that she showed up for training camp overweight and out of shape. 

She did some work for Peacock this past season as a studio analyst for B1G women's games. She wasn't bad, either. 

But I'm wondering if she perhaps focused on that too much -- as opposed to getting ready for the WNBA season. IMO, there was absolutely no excuse for missing the layup the other night that would've tied Connecticut. I think about any other post in the league makes that shot -- easily. 

I guess the Fever coach remembered Grace exists...she got to play 10 minutes in the first half. She was the only player to have a positive +/- . 

As usual, Fever behind at the break. 

Like to see Grace Berger make it a point to jack up at least one three ball each sequence of minutes she gets to play so she would blend in with rest of team.

The Fever offense plays away from Grace anyway and if she would happen to make her first three she would be entitled to another three ball attempt etc etc etc until she misses.

On 5/23/2024 at 12:30 PM, TheWatShot said:

I have paid attention to the Fever a bit since Sides was hired and she just doesn't seem like a good fit. She always seems to be trying too hard or in over her head. She seems to be over coaching, like she's coaching high school kids. It's hard to put my finger on it, but she just doesn't seem likable or relatable or maybe respected by the players? I haven't watched enough to know for sure but it's just the vibe I get. I'm not one to immediately point fingers at the coach when things go sideways, but they should be better than they are and now she seems to be making excuses, pointing fingers and getting defensive. That being said, the roster construction of this team over the past few years has been terrible. How many high picks have come and gone? I know it's a lot different in the WNBA. Regardless, now that they've got some pieces to build on, they need a big time coach. I'm sure they're chomping at the bit to go there too. 

Grace got fouled on a 3 point shot today and missed all three attempts. Can't help but wonder if the Fever's culture of losing and ineptitude is starting to swallow her up. Luckily it didn't matter as the Fever did just enough to not lose today.