Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hoosierfan2017

Where does IU Football go from here

On 11/13/2021 at 7:18 PM, Hovadipo said:

If you don’t like LEO, you might want to stop watching college football because every coach in America has a “mantra”. His just happens to be original and actually mean something, hence it catching on and you hearing a lot about it. 

I would agree if you were talking at the end of last season and perhaps through this fall’s cupcake season! But now that’s old hat, st best wearing thin. Let’s put it this way-great idea and to your point, great originality, execution on the other hand…

17 hours ago, craigyv88 said:

Among other issues currently playing themselves out on the field, I think one of the things holding this team back is a lack of production from some of the top-end rated recruits we've gotten under this staff, which has contributed to depth being at a low level and has made injuries impact the team to a greater extent.  Some of this likely stems from Coach Ballou and Dr. Rhea moving on to Alabama as noted in previous posts, and I understand that not all 4-star players are ready to contribute right away.  It's also worth noting that we've had a few 3-star guys turn out to be fantastic players under this staff as well (Mullen, McFadden, J. Johnson).  Nonetheless, I couldn't help but feel like we aren't getting much out of the multiple 4-star recruits from the last cycles when recruits of that caliber remain at a premium for IU.  I looked into the total production in an IU uniform from our eight 4-stars going back three cycles, and here is what I found:

Sampson James (RB) - Rushed for a total of 371 yards on 81 attempts (3.3 YPC) for 3 TD’s in two seasons.  Transferred to Purdue.

Beau Robbins (DE/EDGE) – Recorded 4 total tackles, 2 solo

Cameron Williams (LB) – One special teams tackle against Cincinnati

Rashawn Williams (WR) – Never appeared on the field.  Transferred to Hutchinson Community College.

Damarjhe Lewis (DL) – Never appeared on the field.  Transferred to Purdue.

Donaven McCulley (QB) – Talented and likely QB of the future but not ready for the predicament he's found himself in.  32/75 for 458 yds, 2 TD's / 0 INT's.

Jaquez Smith (WR) – Saw game action only against Maryland.  No stats recorded.   

Malachi Holt-Bennett (WR) - Only recorded stat I could find was an incomplete pass thrown against Rutgers.

Granted it's still quite early for the 2021 kids and I really like McCulley, Smith, and MHB and what they could potentially bring to the field.  And we have multiple 4-star recruits that aren't even here yet (McCullough, Trevell Mullen, Payne, etc).  But I think it begs the question how much more ready do these guys need to be to be better than the current awful product on the field?  And if they aren't getting there, is that a product of bad coaching, bad development, bad ratings, or all three? 

The questions you bring up is what I've been trying to explain on here. I appreciate you bringing them up. I really don't put a lot of stock into 4 star vs 3 star ratings.  For example Mullen was a 4 star rating on rivals and a 3 star on 24/7.  So it appears Rivals might have been a little more accurate on the ratings with Mullen? But, I mean, does it really matter? It's not like OSU or Clemson gave him an offer. Player development is key to a school like IUFB because they just aren't going to have a recruiting class like OSU, PSU and UM.

Somewhat going off topic here but personally, I value the character of a player. These players are deemed good enough to play at the next level and having character guys on the team really adds value to all aspects of the game. I'm thinking locker room chemistry, off the field social life, etc. etc.. 

17 minutes ago, colonel06 said:

I would agree if you were talking at the end of last season and perhaps through this fall’s cupcake season! But now that’s old hat, st best wearing thin. Let’s put it this way-great idea and to your point, great originality, execution on the other hand…

That’s not at all what I was saying. My point is that every coach has his own mantra. Allen’s caught on last year and you heard a ton about it, but every coach has their own thing and most of them are stupid. It has nothing to do with winning games. 

3 hours ago, Hovadipo said:

That’s not at all what I was saying. My point is that every coach has his own mantra. Allen’s caught on last year and you heard a ton about it, but every coach has their own thing and most of them are stupid. It has nothing to do with winning games. 

Bottom line up front: It should be all about winning.  I want to support the LEO concept and Coach Allen but we’re not hearing much about LEO these days which winning would cure that.

1 minute ago, colonel06 said:

Bottom line up front: It should be all about winning.  I want to support the LEO concept and Coach Allen but we’re not hearing much about LEO these days which winning would cure that.

Read the thread. The post I quoted said you don’t deserve to have a mantra when you’re losing. I said that if you don’t like a coach with a mantra, you’re not going to like college football. 0-12 or 12-0, everyone has one. It’s a pointless thing to dislike a coach for. 

29 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

Read the thread. The post I quoted said you don’t deserve to have a mantra when you’re losing. I said that if you don’t like a coach with a mantra, you’re not going to like college football. 0-12 or 12-0, everyone has one. It’s a pointless thing to dislike a coach for. 

I don't dislike Tom Allen. For IU standards he's perfect. I hope he is here for 20 years. I feel a big part of this season is the team has just quit. I'm just saying I don't want to hear "LEO" when you are 2-8. I'm a Cowboys fan. Their defensive line two years ago called themselves "the hot boyz" yet they were statistically one of the worst defensive lines in the NFL. Bottom line: if you aren't winning you don't deserve a mantra or slogan. I follow other college football programs and I don't remember hearing any slogan used as much as LEO. Just my opinion...you can agree or disagree. 

I hope the McCulley kid can develop into something special. I felt IU had that with Penix. They need a program changing player...like what AT was in the 80s.