Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

17 minutes ago, Demo said:

When you hear Carr, don’t think Newton. Think a more emotionally stable stable Troy Williams. 

Carr is 6’6”? Then I retract—him or Miro are more of a match in that case.

BTW, a “more emotionally stable Troy Williams “ is not a high bar. I’d prefer “like Troy Williams, only emotionally stable”

:)

Carr is 6’6”? Then I retract—him or Miro are more of a match in that case.
BTW, a “more emotionally stable Troy Williams “ is not a high bar. I’d prefer “like Troy Williams, only emotionally stable”
 :)

I believe Little will play the same position as CJ Gunn. We are guard heavy already. For those reasons I doubt we get Little even though I’d really like him.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

1 minute ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I believe Little will play the same position as CJ Gunn. We are guard heavy already. For those reasons I doubt we get Little even though I’d really like him.

Woody will never have too many players that can guard four positions. That, plus bigs that can guard two or three will make up our roster

4 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Little is being recruited as a pg.    IU backed off Fears because they shifted focus to Little.   Even with Cupps they wanted another pg 

Little is being recruited as a pg.    IU backed off Fears because they shifted focus to Little.   Even with Cupps they wanted another pg 

JHS, Cupps, Lander. We are packed at guard. And unless we are shifting to 6’4, 6’5” wings, we are going to have a bunch of those too (Leal, Galloway, Gunn) Good luck selling PG. Now the 4 or 5? Heck, I could sell that spot. Our roster composition is silly.

Little is a pg on the offensive end. On defense he can switch almost anything  

Yeah, I could see JHS, Bates, Little type lineups. But then you have so many other guards not playing and then you are also choosing to be small at the “3”. Roster composition doesn’t make sense unless we are going 3 and sometimes 4 guard lineups.

12 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

JHS, Cupps, Lander. We are packed at guard. And unless we are shifting to 6’4, 6’5” wings, we are going to have a bunch of those too (Leal, Galloway, Gunn) Good luck selling PG. Now the 4 or 5? Heck, I could sell that spot. Our roster composition is silly.

I would guess that by recruiting 2 pg in 2023 the staff isn’t counting on 1 or maybe both of those you mentioned being here in 2023.  Or at least recruiting that way to cover their bases 

I would guess that by recruiting 2 pg in 2023 the staff isn’t counting on 1 or maybe both of those you mentioned being here in 2023.  Or at least recruiting that way to cover their bases 

Probably. I’m gunshy on Gunn and Cupps and would have preferred Little so that all plays a part. Plus the trio of Leal, Galloway, Lander.

We need athletes and size and some shooters. I’m not seeing enough of this.

36 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Yeah, I could see JHS, Bates, Little type lineups. But then you have so many other guards not playing and then you are also choosing to be small at the “3”. Roster composition doesn’t make sense unless we are going 3 and sometimes 4 guard lineups.

I personally would love to see a 3 guard lineup with those type of players.  Plenty of successful programs play that way.   I love watching Baylor play a 3 and sometimes 4 guard lineup 

16 hours ago, Uspshoosier said:

I would guess they expect two or fewer years from some or all of Bates, JHS, Little

18 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Top high school talent won't be scared of Cupps, Lander, Leal, Galloway and Gunn. I mean no disrespect whatsoever. It's just knowing that a) Talent isn't afraid to compete against and play with other talent. b) Every high profile school will have junior and senior guards that make incoming freshman consider how they might fit the roster. Those juniors and seniors at other top-tier schools are just as talented -- if not more so -- than what IU is currently packing. c) The portal. While it's likely some of those kids stick with IU through graduation, it's also likely some will not. Not even the coaches know exactly what their roster will look like in April, let alone April 2023 and April 2024. 

Couldn’t have been less interested in Bama-UC, so spent the time on back to back to back Coen Carr games. 2 were basically glorified scrimmages, but 1 was a good solid competitive game.  Few things about him: 1) The efficiency of the stat lines Old Fart has posted for him are no accident. For a 16yo elite athlete, he doesn’t force anything. At all. He didn’t take a single flat out bad shot in 3 games. Legacy runs 4 out motion and Carr played religiously within the system, mostly in the dunker spot, but they also ran him off some of the pin downs and used him occasionally as the roll man. He did basically everything right. He makes hard cuts. He sets good screens. He came off screens in good position. Right now he’s mostly just a finisher, but he’s a very good one and his game will obviously expand. 2) Yeah, he’s an elite athlete across the board. But he has 1 quality that just jumps off screen: he is a freaking jet running end to end. To the point that I’d call it maybe a rare trait. He’ll be an elite open court weapon because basically no one can run with him. 3) Carr only shot 3 3’s in 3 games, and didn’t make any of them, but he’s got a great looking stroke and shot very well from the line. Not worried about his shooting. 4) Watched a game of Carr’s  from last.year a while back and his defensive fundamentals were awful. Effort was good, just really badly coached. His defense has come a mile in a few months. Footwork’s night and day better. Plays with good knee bend. Has a ways to go and is a bit undisciplined, but is clearly taking to coaching. 5) The kid plays with great energy. He goes hard end to end even when he has no chance to impact the play. Helped on D like his hair was on fire. Doesn’t take plays off. 6) It’s obvious why coaches like him. Along with executing the game plan and playing his @$$ off, he seems like a really good kid. Was constantly pumping up teammates. Was 1st off the bench on timeouts. Was engaged in huddles even when he wasn’t in the game. And his improvement has been borderline meteoric. Hey Stu, emotional stability does not appear to an issue.

I was agnostic on Carr after 1 sketchy viewing from least year, and he’s still got a lot of development work to do. But, yeah, he deserves to be a priority target. If I was Nate Oats or Bruce Pearl and playing open court 15 sec possession basketball he would be a high, high priority for me. Next to a big time facilitator, he has a chance to be a killer.

28 minutes ago, Demo said:

Couldn’t have been less interested in Bama-UC, so spent the time on back to back to back Coen Carr games. 2 were basically glorified scrimmages, but 1 was a good solid competitive game.  Few things about him: 1) The efficiency of the stat lines Old Fart has posted for him are no accident. For a 16yo elite athlete, he doesn’t force anything. At all. He didn’t take a single flat out bad shot in 3 games. Legacy runs 4 out motion and Carr played religiously within the system, mostly in the dunker spot, but they also ran him off some of the pin downs and used him occasionally as the roll man. He did basically everything right. He makes hard cuts. He sets good screens. He came off screens in good position. Right now he’s mostly just a finisher, but he’s a very good one and his game will obviously expand. 2) Yeah, he’s an elite athlete across the board. But he has 1 quality that just jumps off screen: he is a freaking jet running end to end. To the point that I’d call it maybe a rare trait. He’ll be an elite open court weapon because basically no one can run with him. 3) Carr only shot 3 3’s in 3 games, and didn’t make any of them, but he’s got a great looking stroke and shot very well from the line. Not worried about his shooting. 4) Watched a game of Carr’s  from last.year a while back and his defensive fundamentals were awful. Effort was good, just really badly coached. His defense has come a mile in a few months. Footwork’s night and day better. Plays with good knee bend. Has a ways to go and is a bit undisciplined, but is clearly taking to coaching. 5) The kid plays with great energy. He goes hard end to end even when he has no chance to impact the play. Helped on D like his hair was on fire. Doesn’t take plays off. 6) It’s obvious why coaches like him. Along with executing the game plan and playing his @$$ off, he seems like a really good kid. Was constantly pumping up teammates. Was 1st off the bench on timeouts. Was engaged in huddles even when he wasn’t in the game. And his improvement has been borderline meteoric. Hey Stu, emotional stability does not appear to an issue.

I was agnostic on Carr after 1 sketchy viewing from least year, and he’s still got a lot of development work to do. But, yeah, he deserves to be a priority target. If I was Nate Oats or Bruce Pearl and playing open court 15 sec possession basketball he would be a high, high priority for me. Next to a big time facilitator, he has a chance to be a killer.

Outstanding… Easy to see where the heavy IU interest comes from.

Speaking of emotional stability and ol Troy Williams, I just watched AJ Guyton’s  40 minute interview of Troy.

Troy is as ‘interesting’ and disconnected as ever. It took all AJ had to hang in there and try to make him seem okay. For Tom Crean to have turned Troy Williams into a plus player was a freakin miracle.

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

Easy to see where the heavy IU interest comes from.

Speaking of emotional stability and ol Troy Williams, I just watched AJ Guyton’s  40 minute interview of Troy.

He is as ‘interesting’ and disconnected as ever. It took all AJ had to hang in there and try to make him seem okay. 

That interview was brutal. I lasted until he said one of his favorite players since he left is “that Tracy guy”. Disconnected is the perfect word. 

Just now, Hovadipo said:

That interview was brutal. I lasted until he said one of his favorite players since he left is “that Tracy guy”. Disconnected is the perfect word. 

You missed the most awkward part of the interview. At one point AJ was asking him about the current program and whether Troy’s been in touch with any current IU players on social media to “mentor“ them (ha). Troy thought for a minute, looked really confused, and then said “No, I guess I haven’t.” He then added that the most recent IU player he’d been in touch with was “that Danny Green little brother.” (naturally)