Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUWBB vs Michigan - 2/18/21 @ 6:00 on BTN

Big home game for IUWBB between #14 IU (13-4) (11-2) and #11 Michigan (12-1) (7-1).  Not a game for the women to come out flat and sluggish and we certainly can't have a repeat of Mackenzie Holmes' shooting woes.

Radio

Live Stats

ABOUT THE WOLVERINES
Coming off a COVID-19 pause last week, Michigan has won two games over Purdue and Michigan State. They are led by Big Ten preseason player of the year candidate junior forward Naz Hillmon who averages 26.1 points and 11.7 rebounds per game. Junior guard/forward Leigha Brown adds 19.8 points per game. The Wolverines average 80.2 points per game while outrebounding its opponents by a Big Ten high +14.0 per game.

NOTES

The Hoosiers are coming off a pair of season sweeps last week against Penn State and Illinois. Junior guard Grace Berger earned a spot on the Big Ten Player of the Week honor roll for her performances as she notched her third – and the program's – triple-double of the season against the Lady Lions on Wednesday.

In this week's national polls, the Hoosiers climbed to its highest ever ranking in the USA Today/WBCA coaches poll at No. 12 and the highest of the season in the Associated press top 25 at No. 14.

Sophomore forward Mackenzie Holmes continues to pace Indiana with 18.0 points and 7.5 rebounds per game. Berger adds 15.3 points per game while senior guard Ali Patberg is also averaging double figures with 13.2 points per outing.

IU came in at No. 15 overall and a projected No. 4 seed in the NCAA Women's Basketball committees first Top 16 seed reveal on Monday night. The announcement, which is a look at what the top 16 teams would look like in the NCAA Tournament if the season ended today, placed Indiana in the top 16 for the first time ever. It would also be the Hoosiers' highest seeding in program history. Previously, Indiana's highest seed in the modern format of the NCAA Tournament would be a No. 8 seed. The Hoosiers were a No. 6 seed in the 1983 NCAA Championships that featured 36 teams.

UP NEXT
Indiana host Iowa on Sunday. Tipoff and TV designations are still to be determined.

Hoping for the best but don't be surprised if we lose this one. Not confident in this or OSU game in Columbus.

Maryland is clearly best team conference and then IU, OSU and Michigan are all close. NW, MSU, Iowa and Neb are the next tier and only other teams in conference that don't stink, although not sure what to make of Rutgers with their COVID pauses and how few games they have played.

Speaking of Nebraska, in their true bi-polar form they beat a pretty good NW team but are still out of tourney picture because they have beaten every good team (besides IU and Maryland), but lost to pretty much every team that stinks at the bottom as well. That to me is an issue that needs to be addressed by the Huskers whether it is coaching or something else. If you are good enough to beat the best teams you should be able to beat the bad teams as well and the fact you are not signifies an issue somewhere in program that needs to be addressed as it helps no one in conference but especially Nebraska. 

SCHEDULE UPDATE:  Sunday's game (2/21) against Iowa has been moved to Wednesday, March 3 to accommodate for rescheduling around the Big Ten.

As it stands now after the game tonight, our remaining schedule looks like this:

2/24 @ Wisconsin

2/27 @ Ohio State

3/3 Iowa

3/5 Purdue

7 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

SCHEDULE UPDATE:  Sunday's game (2/21) against Iowa has been moved to Wednesday, March 3 to accommodate for rescheduling around the Big Ten.

As it stands now after the game tonight, our remaining schedule looks like this:

2/24 @ Wisconsin

2/27 @ Ohio State

3/3 Iowa

3/5 Purdue

Not sure I get this but OK. Only reason I can think of for the change is:

1. Big Ten Network is already full with games Sunday (which it is) and they want to make sure game is on TV

2. Big Ten wants to make sure everyone plays in that last weeknight slot of games and with all the reschedules this was the only way to make that happen and ensure everyone has an opponent.

Leave it to the Big Ten to do something that on surface makes little sense without explanation but not sure it matters either way to IU. If this avoids the reschedules with a red hot Rutgers team or having to travel to a decent Michigan St. team I don't mind.

4 hours ago, Aaron said:

1. Big Ten Network is already full with games Sunday (which it is) and they want to make sure game is on TV

2. Big Ten wants to make sure everyone plays in that last weeknight slot of games and with all the reschedules this was the only way to make that happen and ensure everyone has an opponent.

Leave it to the Big Ten to do something that on surface makes little sense without explanation but not sure it matters either way to IU. If this avoids the reschedules with a red hot Rutgers team or having to travel to a decent Michigan St. team I don't mind.

If Rutgers was not playing Saturday, I would think they did this to fit Rutgers in on Sunday.

Biggest news from the 1st Q is Michigan's star, Naz Hillmon, picked up 2 fouls in the first 3 minutes of the game and went to the bench.  Amy Dilk blatantly shoved C-H to the floor but after an official review it was "incidental contact".

After 1, Michigan leads 17-13.

Patberg with 9 pts.   Michigan already with 5 offensive rebounds and shooting 44% FG vs 36% for IU.

Biggest news from the 1st Q is Michigan's star, Naz Hillmon, picked up 2 fouls in the first 3 minutes of the game and went to the bench.  Amy Dilk blatantly shoved C-H to the floor but after an official review it was "incidental contact".
After 1, Michigan leads 17-13.
Patberg with 9 pts.   Michigan already with 5 offensive rebounds and shooting 44% FG vs 36% for IU.

That was horrible. Incidental contact by extending your arms. She did sit on the bench for most of the rest of the quarter.

The other forearm was just as bad. How can you take your forearm and push the defender away RIGHT in front of the official. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Halftime in a back and forth ballgame and our Hoosiers have a 37-35 lead

Ali Patberg is on fire.  She has 17 pts. including 3-3 on 3s.

Reb:  Gulbe 5; Berger 2

Assists:  Berger 4

Shooting:    IU - 43% FG   54% on 3s     80% FT                           Michigan - 48% FG     29% on 3s      88% FT

We're getting out-rebounded 18-13.

Big spark off the bench from Chloe Moore-McNeil with a pair of 3s in the quarter. 

Well that was quite a battle between two elite teams.

I have seen IU play plenty of heavy weights over years but they always got punched out by the second half and they felt a half step behind. Now when we play top teams its an equally matched heavy weight battle I never thought I would see prior to last couple years. Terrific game and I look forward to watching second half.

Also, surprisingly good three point shooting by us!

7 hours ago, Aaron said:

Ok I figured it out and its neither of the above. Its that Iowa and Maryland need to make up a game and the only place it fit was two days after our originally scheduled game on Tuesday and they did not want to make Iowa play three times in six days.

I think the goal is to get Maryland to 18 games (and they have missed a couple more for COVID) like IU so whoever wins it is on even footing and this was the way to do it. 

End of 3 and our Hoosiers trail 52-51.

Not a good quarter as we were just 4-18 FG; Michigan 8-15.

Points:  Patberg 17; Gulbe 11; Moore-NcNeil 6; C-H 5; Berger 6; Holmes 4

Reb:  Gulbe 6; Berger 4; Holmes 3             We're really getting worked on the boards 31-22.

Assists:  Berger 4; Patberg 3

We're 9-17 on 3s tonight and that's what's keeping it close.

Holmes continues to struggle with her shooting.  After a 1-16 night she's just 2-7 tonight.

Still in it because we are hitting shots. Michigan has shut down Holmes and forced IU to make outside shots and fortunately they are or they would be in big trouble.

Holmes has been nowhere near as bad as Sunday but by no means has she been good, and to win this game probably we need her to be the elite player she was prior to Illinois to beat a top flight Michigan team.  

2 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Maybe I've just seen too many games this season, but I'm getting really tired of players screaming "and-1" every time they score. 

From Jeremy Price

New rule proposal: Every time a player on the bench yells and-one and there is no call, that player has to sit in silence for the next 5 minutes of game time. If they don't, it's a technical foul.

Wow! First true instant classic we have been in this year. Holmes still not doing anything but Berger and Patberg have been top flight to keep us ahead and IU by 2 with ball and a minute left.