Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Coronavirus and Sports Only - PLEASE and THANK YOU

Here is the official B1G statement --

We are facing uncertain and unprecedented times, and the health, safety and wellness of our student-athletes, coaches, game officials, and others associated with our sports programs and campuses remain our number one priority.

To that end, the Big Ten Conference announced today that if the Conference is able to participate in fall sports (men’s and women’s cross country, field hockey, football, men’s and women’s soccer, and women’s volleyball) based on medical advice, it will move to Conference-only schedules in those sports. Details for these sports will be released at a later date, while decisions on sports not listed above will continue to be evaluated. By limiting competition to other Big Ten institutions, the Conference will have the greatest flexibility to adjust its own operations throughout the season and make quick decisions in real-time based on the most current evolving medical advice and the fluid nature of the pandemic.

This decision was made following many thoughtful conversations over several months between the Big Ten Council of Presidents and Chancellors, Directors of Athletics, Conference Office staff, and medical experts including the Big Ten Task Force for Emerging Infectious Diseases and the Big Ten Sports Medicine Committee.

In addition, the Conference announced that summer athletic activities will continue to be voluntary in all sports currently permitted to engage in such activities. Furthermore, Big Ten student-athletes who choose not to participate in intercollegiate athletics at any time during the summer and/or the 2020-21 academic year due to concerns about COVID-19 will continue to have their scholarship honored by their institution and will remain in good standing with their team. 

While Big Ten member institutions continue to rely on the most up-to-date medical information to establish the best protocols for voluntary workouts on their campuses, in compliance with local and state regulations, the Conference is working with the Big Ten Task Force for Emerging Infectious Diseases and the Big Ten Sports Medicine Committee to finalize Conference-wide protocols.

As we continue to focus on how to play this season in a safe and responsible way, based on the best advice of medical experts, we are also prepared not to play in order to ensure the health, safety and wellness of our student-athletes should the circumstances so dictate.

2 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Saw this tweet in reaction to the B1G announcement earlier today about conference only football games:  And if this new B1G rule extends to all fall sports, that just wiped out about half of #iumsoc's schedule.

For an experienced team like us I wonder if that’s a benefit. Less chance we will have an injury. And gives opponents less time to develop and work on line ups. 

Sounding like the Pac 12 is going to follow the B1G and shortly announce conference only games and the other major conference dominoes will quickly fall.   This is going to financially kill the low and mid-majors and will only lead to further reductions in college sports programs.

6 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Sounding like the Pac 12 is going to follow the B1G and shortly announce conference only games and the other major conference dominoes will quickly fall.   This is going to financially kill the low and mid-majors and will only lead to further reductions in college sports programs.

Just my opinion, but I think you are jumping the gun a bit.  Think about a program like UAB -- they voluntarily cut their football program in 2014.  They did so for financial reasons -- the football program at the time incurred $20 million out of the department's $30 million budget.  A lot of the money that they had been spending on the football program was then allocated to the remaining sports.  And in 2017, when the athletic department became more solvent, they restarted the program (and became respectable very quickly).

Football definitely is a college cash cow, but I'm not convinced that is something that is true across the board.  Outside of a the power five and a few exceptions, how many college football teams are generating much revenue?  Take a team like Ball State -- they lose millions of dollars each year on football.  https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/2015/07/21/ball-state-sports-budget-student-fees-athletics/30454791/.  This is an old link, but that's a revenue loss of $4.7 million in 2014 from football.

What we might see in the future -- for good or bad -- is more teams dropping football, not other sports.  The revenue losses at small D1 football programs can be tremendous.  Meanwhile, there are currently programs that focus their expenditures on basketball where the costs are less.  For instance, Gonzaga had a revenue of $12 million on their basketball program in 2017 -- $5 million of which was profit.  Marquette and Villanova are commonly top twenty in revenue.

I think what we might see as an end result is that while some power conferences remove some of the 'non-revenue sports', mid majors and smaller D1 basketball schools might look to eliminate football.....because, in terms of dollars, that is where they are losing the most money,

https://money.cnn.com/2017/03/31/news/companies/gonzaga-ncaa-profits/index.html

1 hour ago, Brass Cannon said:

For an experienced team like us I wonder if that’s a benefit. Less chance we will have an injury. And gives opponents less time to develop and work on line ups. 

*cue Penix tearing an ACL in the shower.

I will say it won’t help Peyton Ramsey as he learns a new offense.

Boone Grove High School (near Valparaiso) suspends sports practices for the time being out of an ‘abundance of precaution’.  

It’s a smaller district (2A in football) and there haven’t been a ton of positive tests yet recorded on the Indiana site.  I wonder if there have been some football players displaying symptoms or if there have been some positive tests that have occurred that haven’t reached the Indiana gov site yet.  Another possibility is coaches not following the procedures set forth by the district resulting in making them retrain......the protocols in place at most schools are very extensive.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nwitimes.com/news/boone-grove-suspends-sports-practices-because-of-covid-19-concerns/article_baaf675b-e6ad-58bc-b352-17beca0d5dab.amp.html

I saw Sam Story posted that unfortunately the bigger college football news will be coming out in 3-4 weeks according to a source. I know he’s not always reliable, but if I had to guess I’d assume that news is going to be all bowl games will be canceled this year, assuming there is a season.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

4 hours ago, jbell833 said:

I saw Sam Story posted that unfortunately the bigger college football news will be coming out in 3-4 weeks according to a source. I know he’s not always reliable, but if I had to guess I’d assume that news is going to be all bowl games will be canceled this year, assuming there is a season.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

In this case, I think most people could correctly predict there will be bigger news coming out in three to four weeks and be correct.  Could be cancelled bowl games, could be all games will not have fans through the end of the year....could be no season.  I just think the statement is open ended enough that it will be true.

Somebody I know who is connected with Arizona State is saying theirs real talk that if things don’t start getting better by end of month that all sports might be cancelled till 21.  

This wouldn’t surprise me one bit. I’ll be shocked if universities get through their shortened in person semesters the way they have planned. With a reduced number of students on campus, we’re still talking about tens of thousands of students, in that 18-22 age range of “learning and growth”, in a compact location. It’s going to spread like wildfire throughout campuses and local communities.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

2 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Somebody I know who is connected with Arizona State is saying theres real talk that if things don’t start getting better by end of month that all sports might be cancelled till 21.  

Spoiler alert: it’s not going to get better. We had our chance and blew it. I think the football season shrinking is the writing on the wall. 

14 minutes ago, NOLA Hoosier said:

Spoiler alert: it’s not going to get better. We had our chance and blew it. I think the football season shrinking is the writing on the wall. 

You are right.  A political analyst that I like was pointing out we will like see political ads in football hot beds blaming Trump for the loss of football. If basketball gets cancelled might see some here about that I imagine. 

SI.COM - 

Indiana reported its first positive COVID-19 test results on Friday afternoon, saying that in its second wave of  testing on athletes, coaches and staff  that there were four positive results.

There have been 299 tests done thus far, so the four positive results account for a rate of just 1.3 percent. Testing began on June 8 when a portion of the football team returned. Basketball players — both men and women — returned a week later, and the university reported on June 23 that no one had tested positive during the first 187 test.

The second wave of test from June 24 to July accounted for the four positive results out of 112 tests. The school does not announce who tested positive, and they also will not say if it was an athlete, coach or staff member who tested positive.

Indiana's athletics department established the IU Athletics Medical Advisory Group on March 10 to provide expert medical advice. Per its recommendations, each positive test results in isolation until further notice and contact tracing measures are established to detect additional individuals who are considered close contacts and may have been exposed to the virus. These close contact individuals are also quarantined until further notice.

Jon Rothstein - The Pac-12 will schedule conference-only games for fall sports and delay the start of mandatory athletic activities until a series of health and safety indicators provide sufficient positive data to enable a move to a second phase of return-to-play activities, per release.

For Notre Dame fans, that's 2 games off your schedule --  Stanford and USC.   

5 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

SI.COM

Indiana reported its first positive COVID-19 test results on Friday afternoon, saying that in its second wave of  testing on athletes, coaches and staff  that there were four positive results.

There have been 299 tests done thus far, so the four positive results account for a rate of just 1.3 percent. Testing began on June 8 when a portion of the football team returned. Basketball players — both men and women — returned a week later, and the university reported on June 23 that no one had tested positive during the first 187 test.

The second wave of test from June 24 to July accounted for the four positive results out of 112 tests. The school does not announce who tested positive, and they also will not say if it was an athlete, coach or staff member who tested positive.

Indiana's athletics department established the IU Athletics Medical Advisory Group on March 10 to provide expert medical advice. Per its recommendations, each positive test results in isolation until further notice and contact tracing measures are established to detect additional individuals who are considered close contacts and may have been exposed to the virus. These close contact individuals are also quarantined until further notice.

how many of the positive tests had symptoms?  I am guessing none as they wouldn't have come to school, no? No way to stop this thing.  Have to learn to live with it.