Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2021) SF - Aminu Mohammed to Georgetown

The discussion is of need vs. talent, even necessity vs. luxury, not of the relative talents of both players. Considering such debates are long running and in nearly every sport, it's fairly obvious that it is a valid discussion. Less obvious is how one manages to see that as a talent comparison or why one would go out of the way to do so. 

24 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

While you're entitled to your opinion, I think that is nonsense, poppycock, balderdash, bullshirt.

Comparing the relative value for one year or so of a proven catch and shoot high-character 22 year old to a mega-talented 18 year old is most certainly NOT diminishing to either.

Let me ask you this: Which player do you think would contribute more to IU in the next year, Rob Phinisee, Parker Stewart, or #5 overall (and #1 sg) five star BJ Boston?

Here's what Big Blew Nation thinks:

https://kentucky.forums.rivals.com/threads/b-j-boston-is-a-bust.333042/

The gripes?

• Not a bust, but the problem is he's gonna go pro before he is ever ready to contribute.
  • He doesn't hit open shots.
  • He turns it over way too much.
  • He isn't ready yet.
  • We can't expect him to perform to the level of a college-ready junior or senior.

You did put your hazmat suit on before you went to the UK forum, didn't you?

Are we this closed minded?

I don't think we've been in the running for Aminu for awhile.  I believe the coaches were hoping they could overcome some obstacles and land him but it's not in the cards.  The Indiana hype train for highly ranked recruits is real.  Can someone believe that Aminu is far more talented but that Parker is a better fit for this team?  That might seems crazy far out but I guess some see that as IU fans 'coping' with another recruiting defeat.  If Aminu plays college ball it'll be interesting to see how much he contributes to the W/L record of his team.

55 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

and more people wanted PS or a nearly even number.  Interesting.  

Same song and dance with recruiting.  That's another reason why having a consistent winner would be so nice, we wouldn't have to worry about recruiting woes because we would have faith that the coach can win with the guys on the court.  

Lol you know that wouldn’t happen.   Kentucky, Kansas, Duke,  ..... name a basketball school go to their boards and watch the meltdown after a recruiting miss, a loss,  or any other negative  thing.  

you are right on message boards it is the same song and dance.    When schools hit on targets and win games most  people on message boards are happier.      When schools lose out on recruits and lose games most people on message boards are mad and sad.   

10 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Lol you know that wouldn’t happen.   Kentucky, Kansas, Duke,  ..... name a basketball school go to their boards and watch the meltdown after a recruiting miss, a loss,  or any other negative  thing.  

you are right on message boards it is the same song and dance.    When schools hit on targets and win games most  people on message boards are happier.      When schools lose out on recruits and lose games most people on message boards are mad and sad.   

True.  Speaking for myself, it would.  Take Michigan State for example.  They don't always knock it out of the park with recruiting.  They seem to get guys when they need them and lesser players seem to play well as they get older.  It's a system that breeds confidence by most, including the media.  It's generally true.  I don't pay as much attention to their recruiting because Izzo will have them playing well regardless.  When he hits a few homeruns, they become dangerous.  I'd like to feel that way about Indiana basketball eventually in regards to recruiting.  

55 minutes ago, hoosierbgh said:

The discussion is of need vs. talent, even necessity vs. luxury, not of the relative talents of both players. Considering such debates are long running and in nearly every sport, it's fairly obvious that it is a valid discussion. Less obvious is how one manages to see that as a talent comparison or why one would go out of the way to do so. 

Yes. I think Stewart v. Mohammed is a false choice for a few reasons- Stewart might be available right away, that is less likely with AM. Second, Stewart is much more likely to be around longer. AM could conceivably only impact 30-35games in his one season. Stewart could play in over 80.

Another is experience. Stewart has a track record. Aminu has played HS kids. That is not diminishing him, merely a statement of fact. Exhibit A: How many of us expected Lander to be the starting PG for IU already? 

Not saying Aminu isn't gonna be a great college player that could help IU or wouldn't smoke Parker in 1 on 1, just saying when all the considerations are taken, it's not as simple as "5* good, un-heralded transfer bad"

50 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

True.  Speaking for myself, it would.  Take Michigan State for example.  They don't always knock it out of the park with recruiting.  They seem to get guys when they need them and lesser players seem to play well as they get older.  It's a system that breeds confidence by most, including the media.  It's generally true.  I don't pay as much attention to their recruiting because Izzo will have them playing well regardless.  When he hits a few homeruns, they become dangerous.  I'd like to feel that way about Indiana basketball eventually in regards to recruiting.  

I’m just saying even Spartys fan base  hammers Izzo after  recruiting misses even with all his success.    When they were missing out on top targets it got ugly over there.   When they missed on TJD it was the end of the world.   Same thing different message board.  Rinse, Repeat 

2 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

I’m just saying even Spartys fan base  hammers Izzo after  recruiting misses even with all his success.    When they were missing out on top targets it got ugly over there.   When they missed on TJD it was the end of the world.   Same thing different message board.  Rinse, Repeat 

Yes, you'll always have those.  When we post 5 year runs like MSU does for the past 20 years I'll trust in coach.  Until then, I don't.  As evidence, Archie's results on the court, and specifically with grad transfers has yet to breed confidence.  

2 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Yes, you'll always have those.  When we post 5 year runs like MSU does for the past 20 years I'll trust in coach.  Until then, I don't.  As evidence, Archie's results on the court, and specifically with grad transfers has yet to breed confidence.  

That makes sense.   Every person in a fan base or a message board has their own way of dealing or coping with results good or bad 

5 hours ago, Hardwood83 said:

Yes. I think Stewart v. Mohammed is a false choice for a few reasons- Stewart might be available right away, that is less likely with AM. Second, Stewart is much more likely to be around longer. AM could conceivably only impact 30-35games in his one season. Stewart could play in over 80.

Another is experience. Stewart has a track record. Aminu has played HS kids. That is not diminishing him, merely a statement of fact. Exhibit A: How many of us expected Lander to be the starting PG for IU already? 

Not saying Aminu isn't gonna be a great college player that could help IU or wouldn't smoke Parker in 1 on 1, just saying when all the considerations are taken, it's not as simple as "5* good, un-heralded transfer bad"

My hand's up

Another "nailbiter" for Greenwood with a 71 - 35 win over Weaubleau.  The only stat I've seen for Aminu is 16 pts. and a tweet from Shawn Harmon that he barely played 2 quarters.

Saturday, Greenwood has a game with Park Hill scheduled to start at 2:00 ET.  Reportedly will be streamed at:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVrJopKHw8vSSF3BfcMovbQ

Greenwood's game vs Kickapoo in the Willard Classic championship can be viewed at:  http://www.citylinktv.com/channel/kickapoo-chiefs/     Aminu scored 43 pts. and had 10 reb. in this game.

I assume not Indiana too.
If Shawn Harmon has been watching, the success of Armaan Franklin cannot help our chances.

I’m quite certain this was decided long before Armaan Franklin started shooting like he was a three point assassin. Also, pretty sure it has nothing to do with competition he might or might not have at the spot.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app