Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Aaron

IU takes care of problem of empty student seats behind court

That is absolutely not correct. I have talked to someone I know in ticket sales in the athletic department in last few years and the reason they increased student distribution is because so many alumni dropped the tickets late in the Knight days and they want to keep everything sold out via season tickets and it has zero to do with wanting a true student section.
The excuse about wanting a true student section might be what IU tells us publicly but I can promise you that is not the case and it is what I said above.
As for the feeler maybe you were not one of the people contacted.  I was never told if everyone was contacted but maybe only some where as a sampling and you were not included. I do know the results of how every many people surveyed was over 80% did not want balcony so they kept giving them to students.

That I could believe too. Trying to save face. I was there when he was fired.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

32 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

So compared to many here, I'm old.  Not yet 50, but old by most standards.   I was at IU in the late 80's and early 90's.  And we were good.  Very good.  Had become used to BEING that good.  Spoiled, even.  And most people I knew would have fought for tickets to any game.   We were given just 4 games each season.  Not "all of them."    I think it was a mistake to give students access to every game because they've taken it for granted.    I sat in top row of the balcony many times, and got just one game per season down low.  

The thought process that says "I can watch it on TV and it's not important to me" is the result of full access, and it's upsetting.  This is Indiana men's basketball.  It shouldn't matter one bit who we're playing or whether it's cold out.   I get it if you can go to every game; but still wish students wouldn't be so cavalier about games,   Duke sells out regardless of who they're playing, and student section is crazy.  In large part because students don't get to go to every game.   The students help create the atmosphere; and not every game can be a "big" one.  If you can go...go.  And be loud as hell.

I agree with you 100%... I would brave the cold, the traffic, the balcony, or whatever else the case was to be there every game if I possibly could.... To me it is so much better than watching on TV etc, but there are a growing number of people who would rather watch in the comfort of their home on their giant TV etc....

I wish they would add a GA section down low for any loud boisterous non-students.... I love being there and I am usually lucky to get a seat right on the edge of the wall so WHEN I stand up the entire game I don't piss people off... but something like that would be great for the rabid fans like us who log on to this website everyday!!!

24 minutes ago, Aaron said:

You do realize that IU gives students that many tickets now because the alumni and general public dropped there season tickets to the point where there are only 8,000 season ticket holders and a couple hundred on the waiting list? In the glory days you had a season ticket base of like 15,000 hence students got only like 2,000 divided up.

The increased number of student distribution is because old people dropped season tickets and IU does not want to sell individual games except over break to ensure maximum revenue and announced sellouts every game.

This is incorrect.   Indiana reduced the number of faculty seats available, reduced the number of general public seats available, and reduced the number of former faculty seats available.  "You do realize that, right?"  If I may also be condescending.

Students have always had 4,000-6,000 seats.  It was never 2,000 and the season ticket base was never 15,000.  That's simply wrong and I bet you made that number up.   The only thing you got correct was Indiana's desire NOT to sell individual game tickets.  

9 minutes ago, Aaron said:

It may not be perfect but its better than giving them to students who sometimes did not use them. This ensures all the court seats will be filed by tipoff and used since you will lose them if you respond to the email and do not show up an hour before.

I don't know the process they will use... so I am asking in case you do....

How is this better than the current process? Seems to me you still have people reserved into this section that may not show up at all or at least not by tipoff. So 1 hour before somebody has to figure out who responded to the email but didn't show up (maybe not who but how many) and then use some sort of process (presumably the next xx people in line) to fill those empty seats prior to tipoff...

Just seems it would be so much easier to say the first 200 students with GA seats in line get this section... that will get students their early for every game and more than just 200. 

1 minute ago, Old Friend said:

This is incorrect.   Indiana reduced the number of faculty seats available, reduced the number of general public seats available, and reduced the number of former faculty seats available.  "You do realize that, right?"  If I may also be condescending.

Students have always had 4,000-6,000 seats.  It was never 2,000 and the season ticket base was never 15,000.  That's simply wrong and I bet you made that number up.   The only thing you got correct was Indiana's desire NOT to sell individual game tickets.  

I am going by what I was told by a friend who works in ticket sales several years ago and he was very clear that faculty and general public tickets were reduced at end of Knight era and given to students because so many dropped their tickets and IU wanted to keep selling out via season tickets. If he was not telling me the truth or was mistaken I apologize but I am only going by what they told me.

8 minutes ago, Str8Hoosiers said:

How is this better than the current process? Seems to me you still have people reserved into this section that may not show up at all or at least not by tipoff. So 1 hour before somebody has to figure out who responded to the email but didn't show up (maybe not who but how many) and then use some sort of process (presumably the next xx people in line) to fill those empty seats prior to tipoff...

Just seems it would be so much easier to say the first 200 students with GA seats in line get this section... that will get students their early for every game and more than just 200. 

I don't think it matters which of the 200 don't show up.

I assume if at 1 hour before tip off there are empty seats on the court level from people who did not come after responding to the email they will grab people out of the GA line and put them on the court and move the people who responded to the email to the higher part of GA in the balcony or higher up in the main level once they show if at all.

The reason this was done is to ensure the court seats are used and full by tipoff as oppose to before when they were pre-assigned some students were not using their court game. This ensures everyone has a shot at the court and possibly more than once if you are loyal and email a lot.

29 minutes ago, The Ola Depot said:

I could see the attendance problem going one of two ways this year. We were only given 12 games this year instead of the 16 we were supposed to get because of the amount of students who bought tickets. Obviously the hype for this year because of Romeo is the cause for more students being interested in getting tickets this year. Hopefully this excitement results in everyone showing up and filling the seats. Or you could look at it pessimistically and think that people who don’t care as much were given tickets now instead of people who do care and will show up to every single game. It’s really tough to ensure everyone gets the same opportunity to attend games but also guarantee to get passionate students who will show up regardless of who the opponent is or any other outlying factors. The biggest factor I think is the team being able to consistently show a quality product. If we’re winning, people will show up.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

There's only 13 of the 19 games in the student package overall (per the article) because six of the games are over semester breaks and not sold to students. They must have oversold the student section to the point that everyone lost 1 game not 4 hence why you got 13 instead of 12.   

Also you are 100% right that winning cures all ills as the years we were really good during Zeller students showed up every game and balcony was full.

There's only 13 of the 19 games in the student package overall (per the article) because six of the games are over semester breaks and not sold to students. They must have oversold the student section to the point that everyone lost 1 game not 4 hence why you got 13 instead of 12.   
Also you are 100% right that winning cures all ills as the years we were really good during Zeller students showed up every game and balcony was full.

IMG_2161.jpgPer the email we were sent when given our games we received.

Younger than I am

So compared to many here, I'm old.  Not yet 50, but old by most standards.   I was at IU in the late 80's and early 90's.  And we were good.  Very good.  Had become used to BEING that good.  Spoiled, even.  And most people I knew would have fought for tickets to any game.   We were given just 4 games each season.  Not "all of them."    I think it was a mistake to give students access to every game because they've taken it for granted.    I sat in top row of the balcony many times, and got just one game per season down low.  
The thought process that says "I can watch it on TV and it's not important to me" is the result of full access, and it's upsetting.  This is Indiana men's basketball.  It shouldn't matter one bit who we're playing or whether it's cold out.   I get it if you can go to every game; but still wish students wouldn't be so cavalier about games,   Duke sells out regardless of who they're playing, and student section is crazy.  In large part because students don't get to go to every game.   The students help create the atmosphere; and not every game can be a "big" one.  If you can go...go.  And be loud as hell.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

49 minutes ago, Str8Hoosiers said:

I venture to guess that they want to be as fair as possible in the distribution. Theoretically, yet highly unlikely, you could get the same 200 folks each game using the easier model. 

I can almost guarantee that they also have some algorithm behind the scenes for a fair distribution method. I would think it's not first come first serve via emails. 

14 minutes ago, Naturalhoosier said:

I venture to guess that they want to be as fair as possible in the distribution. Theoretically, yet highly unlikely, you could get the same 200 folks each game using the easier model. 

I can almost guarantee that they also have some algorithm behind the scenes for a fair distribution method. I would think it's not first come first serve via emails. 

Theoretically though the same could be said for the method they are using... maybe even easier as the timing is always noon... maybe people that aren't available at noon would be available to lineup at 5pm for a 7pm tipoff...

And if behind the scenes they are using some algorithm it is very dishonest for them to publicly state that the FIRST 200.... it also says they will be notified immediately of the upgrade.... so if there is something else going on behind the scenes it could very easily get outed quickly and cause controversy.... If you get denied and AFTER that your buddy logs in and gets them we immediately know the system isn't working as stated for example.

*** I am in no way attacking your theory or anything.***

3 hours ago, mdn82 said:

I have been on the season ticket waitlist for years. I had never seen an email asking if I would take balcony (I would). The old people dropped season tickets because they started passing away. The school decided they wanted a more traditional student section. It hasn’t worked.

Edit: I guess I am pretty damn unlucky if there are only a few hundred every year. You would think those people would be a pretty easy add then with open seats from the students....

Are you aware of the how the points system works for IU athletics? (asking honestly)

The best ways to build up points that actually accumulate from year to year (IU wants big donors to donate every year so most donations only count for one year) include donating to the varsity club annually, buying season football tickets, and buying season basketball tickets.

I was told two years of donating to varsity club and buying season football tickets may get me eligible for basketball tickets.

https://iuhoosiers.com/sports/2015/4/1/priority-points.aspx

Are you aware of the how the points system works for IU athletics? (asking honestly)
The best ways to build up points that actually accumulate from year to year (IU wants big donors to donate every year so most donations only count for one year) include donating to the varsity club annually, buying season football tickets, and buying season basketball tickets.
I was told two years of donating to varsity club and buying season football tickets may get me eligible for basketball tickets.
https://iuhoosiers.com/sports/2015/4/1/priority-points.aspx

Yes I do and yes I got season tix for a couple of seasons in a row for the sole purpose of getting basketball tix. Fall just isn’t a good time for me to spend money on something I may get to see once or twice. After two seasons of getting football tix to give them away it was apparent that wouldn’t be enough for me. Like most people I don’t want to donate to just donate. I want to know what it would take and is it worth it. I live up by Fort Wayne. I would have to plan accordingly. I usually make my way to about 10 games now give or take. Usually once a year I go to an away game. Maybe I just didn’t give it long enough. I don’t know. Season tix for football aren’t that bad. Would be worth it for me.

20 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

Yes I do and yes I got season tix for a couple of seasons in a row for the sole purpose of getting basketball tix. Fall just isn’t a good time for me to spend money on something I may get to see once or twice. After two seasons of getting football tix to give them away it was apparent that wouldn’t be enough for me. Like most people I don’t want to donate to just donate. I want to know what it would take and is it worth it. I live up by Fort Wayne. I would have to plan accordingly. I usually make my way to about 10 games now give or take. Usually once a year I go to an away game. Maybe I just didn’t give it long enough. I don’t know. Season tix for football aren’t that bad. Would be worth it for me.

Now that I look again, it looks like buying something like season tickets for women's basketball would be the best deal for getting cumulative points.  You can really get season tickets for $45?

https://iuhoosiers.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/SEGetEventInfo?ticketCode=GS%3AINDIANA%3AWB18%3AWBS%3A&linkID=indiana&shopperContext=&pc=&caller=&appCode=&groupCode=WBSEA&cgc=

2 hours ago, Str8Hoosiers said:

Theoretically though the same could be said for the method they are using... maybe even easier as the timing is always noon... maybe people that aren't available at noon would be available to lineup at 5pm for a 7pm tipoff...

And if behind the scenes they are using some algorithm it is very dishonest for them to publicly state that the FIRST 200.... it also says they will be notified immediately of the upgrade.... so if there is something else going on behind the scenes it could very easily get outed quickly and cause controversy.... If you get denied and AFTER that your buddy logs in and gets them we immediately know the system isn't working as stated for example.

*** I am in no way attacking your theory or anything.***

No arguments from me in this. I have no horse in the race regardless.  These types of processes always have me doubting the legitimacy of the outcomes. 

I guess if I had to choose I would rather have the 200 people at the door get the seats vs the email approach. It would be an interesting twist if the email was distributed randomly. Could go out at 8:27am or 9:51pm or whatever time.