Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

2 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Specific to the L'ville opening but certainly sounds like the prerequisites you could apply to IU IF we had an opening.

image.png

I don't see Jay Wright is going to get back into coaching think he said he didn't want to.

2 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Also from Norlander --  Early candidate names on Vanderbilt include Kyle Smith, Mitch Henderson, Chris Mack and Josh Schertz.

Heard Smith, Henderson, and Mack are absolutely top shelf candidates and I see no reason why Vandy would need to look beyond those 3!

6 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

Heard Smith, Henderson, and Mack are absolutely top shelf candidates and I see no reason why Vandy would need to look beyond those 3!

What Smith has done at a couple of not easy to win stops is pretty damned compelling. His style just grinds teams down in like 60 possession games. Would think if there’s a winning formula somewhere like Vandy that might be it. 

2 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

I get the sense Henderson will move on from Princeton, if not this year, soon. I was walking around campus before they played Cornell on senior day (had conference title implications) and walked past him as he was headed toward the stadium. I said "Let's go coach!" with a fist pump. He looked so surprised to be recognized, stopped walking and said "Hey I really appreciate that. Thanks for your support, go Tigers!" During their S16 run last year the campus literally did not care. Like there were videos of everybody quietly in the library as they always are lol.

His team is young and talented so he could definitely bring a few of them with him. The Stanford speculation seems to have died down but Vandy would make sense. They have a small guard Xaivian Lee that plays just like Malik Mack at Harvard. A 6'7 SF Pearce whose brother plays for the Colts.

Henderson played at Princeton and has been a part of their most successful teams as a player and a coach. I would like to see him seize an opportunity to compete at a bigger program if that's what he wants.

55 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Matt Norlander  --  Between Boynton's guaranteed money for getting sacked and the hiring of a new staff, sources in the industry speculated Oklahoma State will need to inject at least $12 million in this hiring cycle. And that is before NIL fundraising. OSU ranks near the bottom in the Big 12.

T Boone Pickens dying just killed their athletic programs. You’d always hear about how that program had unlimited funds when in reality what they had was 1 very old dude willing to give them unlimited funds. 

These buyouts continue to flummox me. 

Stackhouse will get over $15M to go away from Vanderbilt. 

He was 70-92 (38-60 SEC) in five years there, and was making just over $3M a year. 

If you have that kind of record at a P5 school after five seasons, you should be fired. He got paid for doing a crappy job and now he'll get paid for not even doing the job. 

There oughta be a universal coaching clause -- if you don't go at least .500 and have been there more than four years, you don't get a buyout. LOL! 

1 hour ago, Demo said:

T Boone Pickens dying just killed their athletic programs. You’d always hear about how that program had unlimited funds when in reality what they had was 1 very old dude willing to give them unlimited funds. 

This is incredibly false. OSU sucks @$$ at basketball and has for several years. But they're currently in the top ten in 7 sports, men & women combined. Just won the men's cross country NC (4th time since 2009). Top 15-20 in football every year. Wrestling, golf, softball, etc. are all really good.

Is the NIL program up to snuff? I don't think so. But to say the athletic programs were killed is ridiculous.