Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
Hutch89

B1G10 2014 - Where do we fit?

Rocky off-season to start for the Hoosiers.  Amid filling scholly spots and looking for an assistant coach, the forum has had a lot of great input and comments focusing on our efforts to bring people in to the program.  

But what about the rest of the B1G10?  I wanted to get some dialogue going about how the field might look next season and where the Hurryin' Hoosiers could find themselves in arguably the toughest conference.

As for the newcomers, it looks like Maryland is going to have a really good incoming class and we might see the Terps winning a handful of games.  While Rutgers seems that they will have a pretty rough year in terms of basketball.

to summarize:   who can we win against?  who will win against us?

I think it'll be a down year for the B1G. Michigan and Michigan State both lost big time talents to the NBA or graduation. Both will have to have some players make big jumps this offseason in order to compete at a high level. Even Ohio State will suffer a little bit without the intensity of Aaron Craft, as well as losing two wing scorers (they are bringing in some Freshmen who can really score, though). All three of these teams will ultimately finish in the top half of the league and make the tournament. Each of them has a good enough coach and enough talent to compete in the league.

Wisconsin will be the conference champion, I believe. They are returning everyone, except for Brust, with two NBA talents (one being the most versatile big man in recent history).

Nebraska and Iowa are interesting. Both are returning a good portion of their roster. It depends on how well they can each make jumps and find the consistency necessary. Iowa is coming off of a horrible end of season "collapse," while Nebraska is coming off of a blowout in the NCAA tournament. I think both will be successful, but it truly depends on role players stepping up their games and becoming difference makers.

Then there is Indiana, Illinois, Minnesota, and Maryland. These four could pretty much finish in any order. They may even end up being better than both Nebraska and Iowa. Indiana is young and will need REALLY GOOD guard play to compete. Illinois lost a couple of starters, but are returning most of their guys and should have enough experience to have some big upsets. Minnesota is coming off of an NIT championship, and that usually means success. Losing one Hollins won't help, but they should be able to finish in the top half of the league this year. Maryland is a team that we don't know much about and won't know much about until the season gets underway. They are returning pretty much everyone who was key this year and adding a solid recruiting class. It could be interesting to see how successful they can be in their first season, but I wouldn't count them out. They could finish as high as #2, depending on how well they can transition.

There are teams such as Penn State, Northwestern, Purdue, and Rutgers that will be at the bottom again, but that doesn't mean they won't knock off some good teams. Each team has their strengths and will use that to their advantage against others. I have a feeling Rutgers will really struggle and finish last, but Purdue might be able to take that honor. It's all about consistency for the upper echelon teams.

Before I get going, I think this is a great thread so long as we can keep the clouds of pointless pessimism away.

I agree that the B1G will definitely dip a bit next year in terms of comprable quality at the top. Other leagues (the ACC in particular) will be stronger than us at the top, but the B1G will definitely be a deep, unpredictable, wild league.

Wisconsin is the clear cut favorite and I sincerly doubt that anyone can challenge them. Between the returning talent, the coaching talent, and the team experience (not to mention their reputation as a consistent performer), no one can match Wisconsin. After Wisconsin, it gets messy. Between Michigan, MSU, OSU, Iowa, Nebraska, Indiana, Illinois, Maryland and Minnesota, we are all in for a ride. On any given night, any of these teams can beat anyone (with the exception of Wisconsin, not to say they'll run the table though).

I'd love to delve further into each team, but I haven't done my homework on where everyone stands next year (in depth at least).

To answer the question posed at the top: IU will finish in the top half of the league behind the strength of its guard play. As I noted above, I believe the gulf between 2 and 10 could be 2-4 games, so predictions are out the window. Either way, buckle up for the B1G, it's going to be a wild ride.

I'm not setting my expectations super high, but I do believe we can finish close to the top. Only sure thing as of now is Wisconsin being the best team.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

#1 Big Ten regular season and tournament! 

Nah, JK..

But I do think we might be surprisingly better this year compared to last, not only because of the new guys coming in... but also with all the folks that transferred, I am optimistic that some or most of the distractions or lackluster play will be diminished for all our returning players.   This is just speculation of course, but after all the rumors about the drug use on the team and Hollowell's girlfriend-wierd-whatever-it-was-with-jumping-some-other-athlete all gone now, I'm hopeful that the focus will be on studies and basketball.  If the distractions are indeed gone and others don't reveal themselves, I think that our players could be far superior in skill than they were last year.  

wishful and positive thinking, but IMO very plausible that our guys will play to their utmost potential, unlike last year.

I also really appreciate this thread. Hope we can keep the pessimism away! I'm gonna go out on a limb here. I really feel like with the league being down, that we are gonna finish no less than 2nd or 3rd. I like Wisky as the favorite as well. But I just don't see a lot of difference in all the other teams right now. That being said, I am hoping that we had our down year last yr. and we should be much improved. The best thing about Freshman, is that they turn into Sophomores and so forth. I still really feel that we are gonna see a much better HMP in the post. I also think that the guards and wings are gonna have a better understanding of the offense i.e. when to drive, when to shoot. Think about this for a second. THE biggest problem last year was our turnovers! If we can even cut those in half, we are gonna be a solid team. That combined with a down league, should give us a heads up on the other teams. IMHO 

[quote name="Bryan Medema" post="64024" timestamp="1398795850"]Anyone think Rutgers might be the first B1G team to "shoot the moon" and post a season long goose-egg?[/quote]

Penn St and Rutgers should be a battle for atrocity.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Started a new thread, but ESPN's Goodman listed his Top 50 Teams next season and has the Big Ten as Follows:

Big Ten Teams

3. Wisconsin

13. Ohio State

22. Michigan State

27. Michigan

28. Nebraska

30. Maryland

34. Iowa

39. Minnesota

41. Illinois

43. Indiana

As far as IU, Yogi should be the best PG in the B1G. He may not score as many points, but it's only because He's going to be able to drive and kick to guys like Blackmon and RJ, which is where IU really struggled last season.

I'm hoping Williams finds a jump shot in the off season, and Stan continues to develop his all around game, if so, this is a top 5 team in the slightly watered down Big Ten.

All that being said, Wisky will definitely be the favorite and Ohio State will be good. They added Lee and a bunch if good freshmen. So much talent is leaving the league and teams like Michigan will really suffer in my opionion But as everyone else said, the rest of the league is a toss up. I see it looking like this

1. Wisconsin
2. Ohio State
3. Michigan State
4. Indiana
5. Nebraska
6. Iowa
7. Maryland
8. Michigan
9. Minnesota
10. Illinois
11. Northwestern
12. Purdue