Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

Music Thread

Came across this today. Apex Manor is a California band that’s only produced a couple of albums. This 1, Heartbreak City, from 2019 is really good. Sounds like what you’d probably get if Bob Mould produced an Interpol album. A lot of strong guitar work and I like the drummer a lot. 

Never seen this before. Fascinating. I was probably 23 when this came out and it was obviously monstrous. Quintessential 80’s throwaway pop. Energy, vigor, kind of surface. Gave it very little thought, as 23 yo’s tend to do. Now I see this almost 40 years later. The miles on both the artists and the song. It’s matured in a way that we probably all hope we do as people. Depth, perspective, bit of melancholy but still with a certain hopefulness. Bravo, guys, hell of a job.

1 hour ago, Demo said:

Never seen this before. Fascinating. I was probably 23 when this came out and it was obviously monstrous. Quintessential 80’s throwaway pop. Energy, vigor, kind of surface. Gave it very little thought, as 23 yo’s tend to do. Now I see this almost 40 years later. The miles on both the artists and the song. It’s matured in a way that we probably all hope we do as people. Depth, perspective, bit of melancholy but still with a certain hopefulness. Bravo, guys, hell of a job.

How lovely 

On 8/2/2024 at 8:32 PM, Demo said:

Hey, that’s straight beautiful. I’d never seen it, thx for posting it.

Here’s a hot take: 

If Glenn Frey didn’t suck at music? He would have been Jesse Malin. Or maybe if Ryan Adams wasn’t creepy and could’ve sustained his career. Or if Southside Johnny hadn’t written the same song over and over.

Anyway, Malin is fantastic, both on albums and live. The King of the Lower East Side:

https://open.spotify.com/album/2N7nQmIaSTrYwrGFoin4Ij?si=LjKWnJL3S9OfyXR-74KMFQ

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

Here’s a hot take: 

If Glenn Frey didn’t suck at music? He would have been Jesse Malin. Or maybe if Ryan Adams wasn’t creepy and could’ve sustained his career. Or if Southside Johnny hadn’t written the same song over and over.

Anyway, Malin is fantastic, both on albums and live. The King of the Lower East Side:

https://open.spotify.com/album/2N7nQmIaSTrYwrGFoin4Ij?si=LjKWnJL3S9OfyXR-74KMFQ

2 things: 1) Not hot take-y in any way. That’s legit. Malin’s terrific. D Generation was a really fantastic band. Then he evolved into that straightforward soulful almost rootsy guy and it was great. Would love to have seen him live but the dude just never toured and when he did he never went west of, like, Philly. Now with the health stuff I assume he’ll not go out again. Such a shame. 2) Frey is an all-time rock and roll d-bag. Took the best lineup of The Eagles and blew it up just because he could. He was way, way too proud of being an a$$hole. 

42 minutes ago, Demo said:

2 things: 1) Not hot take-y in any way. That’s legit. Malin’s terrific. D Generation was a really fantastic band. Then he evolved into that straightforward soulful almost rootsy guy and it was great. Would love to have seen him live but the dude just never toured and when he did he never went west of, like, Philly. Now with the health stuff I assume he’ll not go out again. Such a shame. 2) Frey is an all-time rock and roll d-bag. Took the best lineup of The Eagles and blew it up just because he could. He was way, way too proud of being an a$$hole. 

I feel like limit to Malin’s touring range was Manhattan south of Union Square and select parts of Brooklyn.

But the albums are choice. 

Different strokes for different folks. Music is such a personal thing that not many people are going to agree on what is good. Personally, I want to hear something presented in a song in a way I haven't thought of it before. I like the Eagles and have since the 70's. Some of their songs meet the criteria that I mentioned above. Paul Simon writes songs that are poetry.  "Dangling Conversation" comes to mind and there are many more. I have always thought that Bob Dylan is the best songwriter that I have ever heard. I enjoy a lot of stuff from a wide variety of people and I know that some of it is generational. I am a guy who enjoys the language and I appreciate most those who can use it to express common things in a unique and different way.

Came across this today. Dogrel is the 2019 debut album by Dublin post-punk band Fontaines D.C., and it’s terrific. Great edge. Unique vocals. Love the guitars. And these are some raw but really smart lyrics. Love it. If Ian Curtis had popped up today this might be what he’d be putting out. Don’t love some of the production choices, but they’ve evidently put out an album or 2 since this one. Will absolutely check them out.

On 8/18/2024 at 9:07 PM, Demo said:

Came across this today. Dogrel is the 2019 debut album by Dublin post-punk band Fontaines D.C., and it’s terrific. Great edge. Unique vocals. Love the guitars. And these are some raw but really smart lyrics. Love it. If Ian Curtis had popped up today this might be what he’d be putting out. Don’t love some of the production choices, but they’ve evidently put out an album or 2 since this one. Will absolutely check them out.

Have a number of their tunes in my playlists. Good band

On 8/18/2024 at 10:07 PM, Demo said:

14 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Have a number of their tunes in my playlists. Good band

Listening for the first time now.

BTW - new album dropping in 30 hours.

8 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Jackie down the line is one of my favorites of theirs:

That's hilarious. I am listening to the Skinty album on Spotify at work. I start tapping my foot to an especially catchy track, unlock my phone to see what the track is named, and it's this one.

Jeff Buckey’s Grace was released on this day in 1994. IMO the best album of the 90’s. Not sure Buckley would have ever been huge based on his iconoclastic instincts and how hard his catalogue and tastes cut against the grain. But what a freaking talent. I can count on 2 hands how many songs I love as much as this one.