Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
HoosierLarry

Introduce a new fan to Indiana football

I might like to see IU reach out to a position coach at a big school to try their hand at being a DC. How much worse could it get than 119/120 right?

[quote name="HoosierLarry" post="23185" timestamp="1386561430"] What type of offense is run and who are the offensive stars?[/quote]Tre Roberson is a good running Qb with an a that needs work. He's pretty big so I would compare him to Cam Newton. Obviously Roberson is nowhere near Newton but Roberson is a work in progress. Tevin Coleman starting Rb. Pretty sure he's a junior and Tre is a sophomore, but Tevin is always capable of a big play. Shane Wynn and Cody Latimer are two good receivers. They don't have much of an O-Line. On Defense Bobby Richardson and Tim Bennett (DT and Corner) lead the best of the worst. They run an Air Raid type Spread offense. It's fast paced an if you turn your head after a play you'll miss the next one. It is kind of like an Oregon or Baylor. But not as dominant. Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Tre Roberson is a good running Qb with an a that needs work. He's pretty big so I would compare him to Cam Newton. Obviously Roberson is nowhere near Newton but Roberson is a work in progress. Tevin Coleman starting Rb. Pretty sure he's a junior and Tre is a sophomore, but Tevin is always capable of a big play. Shane Wynn and Cody Latimer are two good receivers. They don't have much of an O-Line. On Defense Bobby Richardson and Tim Bennett (DT and Corner) lead the best of the worst. They run an Air Raid type Spread offense. It's fast paced an if you turn your head after a play you'll miss the next one. It is kind of like an Oregon or Baylor. But not as dominant. Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Thanks this was informative! I can't wait to get more familiar with the program and team. 

Tre Roberson is a good running Qb with an a that needs work. He's pretty big so I would compare him to Cam Newton. Obviously Roberson is nowhere near Newton but Roberson is a work in progress. Tevin Coleman starting Rb. Pretty sure he's a junior and Tre is a sophomore, but Tevin is always capable of a big play. Shane Wynn and Cody Latimer are two good receivers. They don't have much of an O-Line. On Defense Bobby Richardson and Tim Bennett (DT and Corner) lead the best of the worst. They run an Air Raid type Spread offense. It's fast paced an if you turn your head after a play you'll miss the next one. It is kind of like an Oregon or Baylor. But not as dominant. Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I find it alarming that there is nothing to speak of on the offensive line. You can have the best QB in the world, if hes running for his life back there hes gonna have a hard time reading defenses and making good throws. Also the offense would have a hard time getting any running game going without a decent OL. Is CKW addressing this? 

I find it alarming that there is nothing to speak of on the offensive line. You can have the best QB in the world, if hes running for his life back there hes gonna have a hard time reading defenses and making good throws. Also the offense would have a hard time getting any running game going without a decent OL. Is CKW addressing this? 

Our OL is decent, but was decimated by injuries this year. Two of the projected starters never even made it to the season and only one guy started all 12 games, and he is undergoing off-season surgery for an injury he played thru the last half of the season. We played 3 different centers due to injuries.

The fact that we had a top 15 offense with a merry-go-round on the OL speaks to the depth at that position CKW and OL coach Greg Frye have already built. Next year we will have 9 OL who have extensive experience.

Our OL is decent, but was decimated by injuries this year. Two of the projected starters never even made it to the season and only one guy started all 12 games, and he is undergoing off-season surgery for an injury he played thru the last half of the season. We played 3 different centers due to injuries.

The fact that we had a top 15 offense with a merry-go-round on the OL speaks to the depth at that position CKW and OL coach Greg Frye have already built. Next year we will have 9 OL who have extensive experience.

This is good news. So if I am understanding correctly, IU has an offense that can compete for B10 championships, the defense just has to catch up? 

Maybe I am bias because I will be going there, but can anyone explain why it is that IU struggles so much to recruit? It has several good academic programs and an active nightlife. I could see why not a lot of highly rated kids on the coasts would want to go to the midwest, but I don't think theres any reason they cant fill the class with 3*s and low 4* kids from Indiana/Illinois/Michigan/Ohio 

EDIT: I understand this isnt a transformation that can happen over night, but around 4 years into a coach's time on campus I don't think thats an unreasonable request.

The only advice I can offer is to stay a Notre Dame fan as long as possible, because there is no doubt that they will always be better than IU. I like both, but IU is such a letdown that I root for ND more. (I go to IU)

This is good news. So if I am understanding correctly, IU has an offense that can compete for B10 championships, the defense just has to catch up? 

Maybe I am bias because I will be going there, but can anyone explain why it is that IU struggles so much to recruit? It has several good academic programs and an active nightlife. I could see why not a lot of highly rated kids on the coasts would want to go to the midwest, but I don't think theres any reason they cant fill the class with 3*s and low 4* kids from Indiana/Illinois/Michigan/Ohio 

EDIT: I understand this isnt a transformation that can happen over night, but around 4 years into a coach's time on campus I don't think thats an unreasonable request.

They want to go to bowl games and aren't convinced they'll do so here?

Let's face it, IU football is historically pretty pathetic.

They want to go to bowl games and aren't convinced they'll do so here?

Let's face it, IU football is historically pretty pathetic.

True. Good point.  I guess I should have included that we have to consistently win 7,8 or so games for this to happen. I think Wilson can be the coach to get the team to that level if the defense gets sorted out. 

Orgeron definitely wouldnt come to Indiana. Even if he were to, he wouldn't be a great hire because while he would be a great DC, he would offer no stability and probably leave at the next best opportunity. I firmly believe IU should go after a DL, LB, or secondary coach at OSU, UM, or ND

Hey everyone! I thought I would post in this topic instead of making a new one. I am also a new Hoosiers fan. I am from Maryland, but my ties to IU are through my wife and grad school. My wife is from Indianapolis and grew up a Hoosier. When looking at grad schools for business I saw IU had an online MBA program. It seemed perfect and now she has converted me as I am officially a Hoosier starting at Kelley this spring! I have been to Indianapolis many times visiting my wife's family, however I will be visiting Bloomington this March for the first time. I am very excited as I hear the campus is gorgeous! I caught parts of a couple of Hoosier football games this past season and have been reading around Hoosier forums to get a feel for the program. Offense is exciting to watch, however from what I saw our offensive line is still not up to the physical B1G standards. This leads to an inability to convert third and less than four situations stalling out drives. The offense is very impressive moving the ball between the 20s. Currently with our defense, against the B1G elite a punt is essentially 7 on the board for the opponent. On defense I saw a lot of breakdowns, missed assignments and overall being out muscled. IMO we need to get stronger upfront if we want to compete in the conference. Living in the Mid-Atlantic area my wife and I are already planning to go to Hoosiers games! I want to go to New Brunswick when we play at Rutgers in November and to State College and College Park for away games in 2015. Anyone have any visiting tailgate experience? I know Kelley alone has a pretty big network in the Mid-Atlantic so hopefully I will be able to find some fellow Hoosiers to tailgate with! I look forward to talking with fellow Hoosier fans! Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners