Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

Caleb Jones - Green Bay Packers

Big Caleb getting noticed:

Green Bay PackersIt's hard not to notice rookie tackle Caleb Jones. After all, he's the tallest player in Packers camp at 6-foot-8 3/4 (he's listed at 6-9). But it's time to take notice where the undrafted free agent is on the depth chart. At the beginning of camp, Jones was the right tackle with the No. 3 offensive line. This week, he lined up as the No. 2 left tackle, and considering the Packers don't have David Bakhtiariand Elgton Jenkins yet, Jones might be making a legitimate run at an opening-day roster spot.

"Everyone wants to talk about his size, [but] he's a little bit better foot athlete than I think people give him credit for," Packers GM Brian Gutekunst said. "You've got to give him a lot of credit, he's made the most of his opportunities."

In the one-on-one pass-blocking drill, he has a 10-4 record. Anytime he has gotten has hands on the rusher, he has stopped him. And after dropping his weight from 370 at his pro day to 338 at his most recent weigh-in, Jones has improved his mobility.

"At this position nowadays every guy I'm trying to block runs a 4.4, and it's really done wonders being able to have my weight down," Jones said.

When asked if there were any tall tackles he has studied or tried to emulate, Jones laughed and said: "It's really tough because there's not very many." -- Rob Demovsky

9 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

Big Caleb getting noticed:

Green Bay PackersIt's hard not to notice rookie tackle Caleb Jones. After all, he's the tallest player in Packers camp at 6-foot-8 3/4 (he's listed at 6-9). But it's time to take notice where the undrafted free agent is on the depth chart. At the beginning of camp, Jones was the right tackle with the No. 3 offensive line. This week, he lined up as the No. 2 left tackle, and considering the Packers don't have David Bakhtiariand Elgton Jenkins yet, Jones might be making a legitimate run at an opening-day roster spot.

"Everyone wants to talk about his size, [but] he's a little bit better foot athlete than I think people give him credit for," Packers GM Brian Gutekunst said. "You've got to give him a lot of credit, he's made the most of his opportunities."

In the one-on-one pass-blocking drill, he has a 10-4 record. Anytime he has gotten has hands on the rusher, he has stopped him. And after dropping his weight from 370 at his pro day to 338 at his most recent weigh-in, Jones has improved his mobility.

"At this position nowadays every guy I'm trying to block runs a 4.4, and it's really done wonders being able to have my weight down," Jones said.

When asked if there were any tall tackles he has studied or tried to emulate, Jones laughed and said: "It's really tough because there's not very many." -- Rob Demovsky

If Caleb Jones becomes a starter in the NFL, Heller should be fired immediately.

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

If Caleb Jones becomes a starter in the NFL, Heller should be fired immediately.

Blame whoever made the decision to let him play at 380. It was no secret that Caleb was always too heavy and had way more success when he played lighter. That’s largely on Caleb himself coming into the last couple seasons topping 400. An NFL training/nutrition program could unleash the beast because he has everything it takes minus the mentality to keep weight off. 

Just now, Hovadipo said:

Blame whoever made the decision to let him play at 380. It was no secret that Caleb was always too heavy and had way more success when he played lighter. That’s largely on Caleb himself coming into the last couple seasons topping 400. An NFL training/nutrition program could unleash the beast because he has everything it takes minus the mentality to keep weight off. 

I blame Heller, and to a certain extent Tom Allen.

To have an over-sized, talented player for four years and not to find a way to motivate/threaten/love/penalize him in a way that gets him to get himself into shape is turrribllle. Yes, ultimately Caleb Jones needed to make it happen, but it's the staff's job to show him the value in doing so. The Packers or his agent have successfully made that point with Jones. We should have either been able to, or taken action if he didn't meet expectations.

I blame Heller, and to a certain extent Tom Allen.
To have an over-sized, talented player for four years and not to find a way to motivate/threaten/love/penalize him in a way that gets him to get himself into shape is turrribllle. Yes, ultimately Caleb Jones needed to make it happen, but it's the staff's job to show him the value in doing so. The Packers or his agent have successfully made that point with Jones. We should have either been able to, or taken action if he didn't meet expectations.
They should have sent him to work with the basketball team. That would have gotten him in shape.

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk