Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Magnanimous

OT - Bloomington, a city on the brink?

35 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

Bloomington has always seemed to be 1/2 cosmopolitan and 1/2 hillbilly.  It's a strange mix. 

Well the school is trending towards only 50% in-state students...

i kid. Going to IU for this East Coaster was a nice reprieve from the NYC area vibe, even if I apparently contributed to the downfall of IUBB according to Dakich.

On 7/7/2020 at 3:56 PM, Stuhoo said:

"Public danger" is a legal term that has been litigated exhaustively. If those guys are arrested they will very likely make bail. They will not be detained through the conclusion of the legal process.

For someone to be detained until trial the general theory is that there is probable cause that they will be a flight risk or will be a (physical) danger to the community. They would be charged with simple assault and false imprisonment. Not nearly enough to constitute detention until trial IMO.

I wasn’t talking about detaining until trial.  They obviously were drunk a looking for violence....not sure why they wouldn’t be detained to cool off and sober up.

I guess I don’t get the “they probably would have made bail” point.  Should we never detain anyone with money because they would make bail anyway?

On 7/7/2020 at 3:57 PM, Stuhoo said:

So there will be substantial business consequences for their behavior. And they will be accomplished by the simple act of the publication of the cell video. Mamasa's post already showed how a private business can appropriately make that clear.

In terms of their business loss, exactly how much of that comes from an internet troll putting up ‘public restroom’ as their service?

6 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

I wasn’t talking about detaining until trial.  They obviously were drunk a looking for violence....not sure why they wouldn’t be detained to cool off and sober up.

I guess I don’t get the “they probably would have made bail” point.  Should we never detain anyone with money because they would make bail anyway?

I took you terms the way you stated them.

Arrest = charged and released.

Detained = arrested and held pending trial.

On 7/9/2020 at 6:29 PM, Stuhoo said:

I took you terms the way you stated them.

Arrest = charged and released.

Detained = arrested and held pending trial.

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/arrest-vs-detention-how-tell-whether-you-ve-been-arrested-simply-detained.html

My point was there was a group of men that were drunk and disorderly (on what sounds like public property) and acting violently....I don’t know why they would have not been detained to at least cook them off.

2 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/arrest-vs-detention-how-tell-whether-you-ve-been-arrested-simply-detained.html

My point was there was a group of men that were drunk and disorderly (on what sounds like public property) and acting violently....I don’t know why they would have not been detained to at least cook them off.

From what I hear they weren’t even questioned. 

On 7/7/2020 at 3:53 PM, brumdog45 said:

I guess I don’t understand not detaining someone because of the immediate public danger they are.  

Serious question, not trying to be a pain, stuhoo — but you said that you took ‘from the I stated it’ that I meant arrested until trial from when I said detained....I didn’t mean that but I’m also not seeing how I even implied that.  What we had were a bunch of drunk, violent bunch of guys looking to start trouble....that to me says they should have been detained in order to sober up and clear their heads.

10 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

Serious question, not trying to be a pain, stuhoo — but you said that you took ‘from the I stated it’ that I meant arrested until trial from when I said detained....I didn’t mean that but I’m also not seeing how I even implied that.  What we had were a bunch of drunk, violent bunch of guys looking to start trouble....that to me says they should have been detained in order to sober up and clear their heads.

Not a biggie- to me if you’re taking them into custody under these circumstances it’s gonna be as an arrest—charge em if there’s probable cause.

From the BHT sounds as if there were plenty of bad actors involved including the victim who returned to the private property against his friend's wishes to help teach the fine locals why the rebel flag is hurtful.