Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBASE vs Kent State - March 27, 2019

22 minutes ago, Aaron said:

Error number 6 for IU as a tough ground ball to third Barr should of been eaten but instead throws a feeble ball to first allowing runner to take 2nd with one out. Kent St. still batting top 9.

6 errors. What...what?

7 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

6 errors. What...what?

Yup. And we're lucky we are still going to Bottom 10 tied as Lloyd gets a huge K and flyout to end it. Also we have been handed 3 runs by Kent State mistakes and a lucky railroading call at home plate or we long would of lost.

Still don't understand how Lloyd isn't a pro. A guy with a mid 90's fastball and a good bat can always be an asset. I understand position placement an issue but I would take those assets and figure it out later. With that said happy we still have him.

Bottom 10 we go.

Scott not up to task and we are running out of arms. Walk, hit batter, balk, strikeout, intentional walk, RBI single. Kent St up 7-6 and bases still loaded one out.

Scott then hits his second batter and its 8-6. Hate putting a guy like this in this pressure situation but not a lot of choice with arms left. Grant Sloan pitching now. Apparently Jerry Sloan the famous Jazz coach is his grandfather which I had no idea.

Wyatt Cross ties it at 8 on a 2 run HR to dead Center after a Scotty Bradley double to right to open inning! This team is resilient if nothing else. I was about to ask why Fineman has not pinch hit for Cross yet but apparently that's why. Cross has some power and is a good defensive catcher but offers little else.

No further damage as we get runner at third on attempted steal prior to suicide squeeze. Then Cross throws out a runner stealing 2nd but we need a run again to extend game. 

Final 9-8 Kent State

If nothing else we never quit and continue to have good situational hitting. With that said we had our worst defensive game of season with 6 errors and multiple more fundamental errors with several wild pitches and a couple balks. We really had no business being in this game if Kent St does not hand us 3 runs and we get a favorable railroading call at home plate. Just when you thought we had our defensive issues solved they popped up again and need to be corrected still or we will not maximize our talent for this season. This is another 50-50 game lost and a bad RPI loss. Kent St will probably win MAC in end and get it to together but its still a sub 100 loss even if they (likely) win their conference. 

The only good is its not a Big Ten loss but otherwise we need to clean these mistakes up if we want to win the games we can. 

I also am a bit worried about Fineman as they didn't use him late in game even when I would of thought it was a clear pinch hit situation. Hopefully just a no circumstances use day off. 

I'm pretty sure I would have gotten tossed too if I were Kent State's coach.  It certainly didn't seem like the runner went out of his way to barrel him over.  I can only assume that the runner being called out had something to due with Cross' mitt flying off and the umpire saw something that I couldn't see from the camera angle.  Of course, I know that collisions at home plate have been a point of emphasis in recent years, so I'm not sure what the current NCAA rules are.