Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

HoosierAloha

Woodworking Thread

Damn, i feel inadequate.

Sent from my SM-G920V using BtownBanners mobile app

It's okay. We know you just got electricity up there in the last few years. We wouldn't expect you to know how to use power tools just being a major tool.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

11 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

My favorite two; kreg and domino. They have a fantastic wood hobby shop on base in Hawaii. After a 3 hour safety course you can use the shop at a cost of a few bucks an hour. They have a cabinet grade panel saw that is amazing. That's where I used the Festool domino joiner. If only I had a grand to buy one!

Here are a few things I built out in Hawaii. The last two are a shelf we built for our bar at work.

IMG_5291.jpgIMG_5292.jpgIMG_5293.jpg
IMG_5295.jpgIMG_5296.jpgIMG_5297.jpg

Wow! That's some pretty good looking stuff! Love the bed! Good work! 

Wow! That's some pretty good looking stuff! Love the bed! Good work! 

Thanks! I spotted a platform bed at a furniture store but they wanted an arm and leg for it. I got the dimensions and made it with real wood for half the price. It sits on three sections of plywood with the middle coming out for storage.

Thanks! I spotted a platform bed at a furniture store but they wanted an arm and leg for it. I got the dimensions and made it with real wood for half the price. It sits on three sections of plywood with the middle coming out for storage.

The price is what inspired me too. My wife was seeing these farmhouse tables on Facebook for $900 and coffee tables for $450. I built these and the bench all for $100 in wood. Of course the Facebook carpenter guy looks a ton better but she’s happy with what I built.

IMG_3240.thumb.jpg.83cb8093a4a424937a7fa3eac10c9723.jpgIMG_3189.thumb.jpg.3d04df78bcd866cffab480b9f4fa31e6.jpg

Looks great! Love the farmhouse look. What did you use for the top of the farmhouse table?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

They’re 1x10 boards. If I had to do it again I would use 2 inch boards

Common boards? I think I'm going to do a farmhouse table with benches in an L shape (the style of the mudroom bench but opening from the top to provide storage).

Common boards? I think I'm going to do a farmhouse table with benches in an L shape (the style of the mudroom bench but opening from the top to provide storage).

Yes, just common boards. The only 4x4s for the legs I could find were outside treated so I had to prime-paint it two more times after that pic. The L shape benches will look great with a farmhouse table

14 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

Thanks, the better the equipment the easier it is to build.  I'm a hack, at best, and have made a few things that are serviceable due to great equipment and people guiding me.

The bookshelves in your pics? What kind of joints did you use? I need one for the spare bedroom and I've been debating in my mind whether to build one myself or look around for a used one at a secondhand shop. Most of what you can buy these days are junk or ungodly expensive!  

1 hour ago, theriverpilot said:

Why do you not like the 1x10's? Did you consider using a laminated panel that you can buy at a lumber yard? I've seen them at Lowe's and thought of using them for projects. 

The bookshelves in your pics? What kind of joints did you use? I need one for the spare bedroom and I've been debating in my mind whether to build one myself or look around for a used one at a secondhand shop. Most of what you can buy these days are junk or ungodly expensive!  

Kreg, I would send you the plans but they're in Hawaii. I know they were about half the cost of anything close to them in the store. They're incredibly strong 3/4" ply for sides and shelves, 1/4" ply for back. I did two and a TV stand with false backs. I looked into doing lights but never installed. Trimmed them out with 1x2s. The top is 1x8s joined by dominos and routed sides.

12 hours ago, theriverpilot said:

The price is what inspired me too. My wife was seeing these farmhouse tables on Facebook for $900 and coffee tables for $450. I built these and the bench all for $100 in wood. Of course the Facebook carpenter guy looks a ton better but she’s happy with what I built.

IMG_3240.thumb.jpg.83cb8093a4a424937a7fa3eac10c9723.jpgIMG_3189.thumb.jpg.3d04df78bcd866cffab480b9f4fa31e6.jpg

Looks great!  I like the farmhouse look!  Solid work!