Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ThompsonHoosier

Indiana @ (18) Michigan St. Game Thread 10/21 3:30PM EST ABC

2 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

The QB can't make longer throws.  I know this is unpopular with the pro-Ramsey guys, and I know you'll jump all over this.  But..You all can blame DeBord all you want, but the limitations of his QB limit what he can do.  The guy directed an offense that set records at Tennessee LAST SEASON.   You think he forgot how to coach and call plays?    Ramsey is not a good QB, yet, boys.  Lagow gives Indiana the ability to create chunk plays, even as he's a risky decision maker.  Ramsey is so limited; and you're seeing it.   Lagow can't run, but as I said a long time ago, if a team game plans to take Ramsey away, it's easily done.  You're seeing THAT, too.  So his run game is taken away and he can't throw the ball down the field.  This is the result.  

He can throw longer than 2 yards. I think that was the point of the previous poster. He's not going to be launching 40 yard bombs, but don't act like we've got Diamont under center. Ramsey can make longer throws. You can keep making excuses for DeBord but nobody is forcing him to call all these quarterback draw plays.

6 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

The QB can't make longer throws.  I know this is unpopular with the pro-Ramsey guys, and I know you'll jump all over this.  But..You all can blame DeBord all you want, but the limitations of his QB limit what he can do.  The guy directed an offense that set records at Tennessee LAST SEASON.   You think he forgot how to coach and call plays?    Ramsey is not a good QB, yet, boys.  Lagow gives Indiana the ability to create chunk plays, even as he's a risky decision maker.  Ramsey is so limited; and you're seeing it.   Lagow can't run, but as I said a long time ago, if a team game plans to take Ramsey away, it's easily done.  You're seeing THAT, too.  So his run game is taken away and he can't throw the ball down the field.  This is the result.  

Ramsey can throw just fine. He's not great but he has an average arm. He can throw the ball downfield. They're just not letting him do it. There is zero excuse for Debord running qb draw after qb draw. Zero. You're defending the inexcusable. Whatever "greatness" the guy had at previous jobs is gone. He's been terrible all season and he needs to be replaced. 

4 minutes ago, Iugradman said:

Lagow is bad in different ways. He throws terrible WTF interceptions and is a statue in the pocket.

Agree with that, but he also was one of the top passers in the Big Ten a year ago.   Ramsey allows zero margin for error.  Lagow at least gives IU the opportunity to get bigger chunks of yardage.

Just now, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Ramsey can throw just fine. He's not great but he has an average arm. There is zero excuse for Debord running qb draw after qb draw. Zero. Whatever "greatness" the guy had at previous jobs is gone. He's been terrible all season and he needs to be replaced. 

No.  He can't.   I know this is your narrative, but it's not true.  I don't know how many QB draws are called vs. audibled; and I also don't know how many times he too quickly tucks and runs.  

3 minutes ago, Crimson and Cream said:

He can throw longer than 2 yards. I think that was the point of the previous poster. He's not going to be launching 40 yard bombs, but don't act like we've got Diamont under center. Ramsey can make longer throws. You can keep making excuses for DeBord but nobody is forcing him to call all these quarterback draw plays.

And you know that all of the plays that look that way are called QB draws by DeBord?   Ramsey tucks and runs awfully quickly.  He's very limited.....

3 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

No.  He can't.   I know this is your narrative, but it's not true.  I don't know how many QB draws are called vs. audibled; and I also don't know how many times he too quickly tucks and runs.  

You're salty because you were wrong about Lagow and now you're discrediting Ramsey and acting like he's Zander. I don't know what kind of connection you have to Lagow to have such an affinity for him, but he's not our qb anymore. But hey whatever, you're obviously not going to change your mind. 

Just now, JSHoosier said:

No, Ramsey isn't ideal.  Yes, there are things he needs to work on.  Lagow is terrible though; the one thing he brings to the table, down field throws, he can't even do reliably because his accuracy and decision making are garbage.

It stuns me that a guy who was #2 in the Big Ten a year ago is "horrible."    He makes bad decisions too often.  Yep.  Absolutely.  But in a game like this one, Indiana needs a QB who can get the ball downfield.  Using Ramsey - until he shows he can get it down the field, and I hope he does - is playing not to lose and putting too much pressure on the defense.    You all wanted Ramsey because of his ability to run.  I told you a month ago, teams that prepare for him can take him away.  Case in point.

I'd still like to see Lagow come in for a series or two. The change of pace could benefit Debord's style, yet our turnover percentages could increase greatly too. I'll give Debord credit, although he's calling a conservative game, he's not putting our defense in tough situations. 

Just now, Hoosierfan2017 said:

You're salty because you were wrong about Lagow and now you're discrediting Ramsey and acting like his Zander. But hey whatever, you're obviously not going to change your mind. 

Laughing.  Um..no.   You've mostly created what I said about Lagow.  Not like you're changing your mind, either.  Your eyes work as well as mine do, right?

5 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

And you know that all of the plays that look that way are called QB draws by DeBord?   Ramsey tucks and runs awfully quickly.  He's very limited.....

You can tell when they're called and when Ramsey panics and runs it. Let's not make excuses for DeBord. He's been plain bad. 

9 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

It stuns me that a guy who was #2 in the Big Ten a year ago is "horrible."    He makes bad decisions too often.  Yep.  Absolutely.  But in a game like this one, Indiana needs a QB who can get the ball downfield.  Using Ramsey - until he shows he can get it down the field, and I hope he does - is playing not to lose and putting too much pressure on the defense.    You all wanted Ramsey because of his ability to run.  I told you a month ago, teams that prepare for him can take him away.  Case in point.

Lagow is really bad. He was better last year b/c the line was better and gave him more time to pass. This offensive line is much more limited.  If you doesn't get the ball out quickly it's a sack. it's unfortunate but he has some of the worst movement for a quarterback I have seen. Ramsey is fine from about 15 yards in. It baffles me that we don't try more screen passes, short slants, etc. The qb draw has basically been a lost down most times. Not sure how many times Ramsey decides to keep it though versus pitch. 

10 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

Actually, the only reason I wanted Ramsey is because Lagow sucks.  That's also the only reason I'm willing to stick with Ramsey.