Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

HoosierAloha

Military

To echo others, I'm not one who served, but have known a lot who have, and are still, most of them fraternity brothers.  If you're from Indiana, you might remember a story on Lance Cpl. David Fribley from Warsaw.  He was the 1st Hoosier killed in the Iraq war on March 23, 2003.  He was my pledge brother from Indiana State, and, would have stood in our wedding.  From the bottom of my heart, those of you who have served, or are still serving today, you have my utmost respect and gratitude.  

8 years in the Army. Most of it as Infantry, had a little stint as a recruiter. Medically retirees from injuries sustained in Iraq. 2001-2009.
I joined to follow in my grandfather's first cousin. Retired after 36 years as a Command Sergeant Major, 2 1/2 years in Nam with 3 bronze stars and 2 Purple Hearts. Still look up to him to this day!

I work for the Army Corps of Engineers as a biologist now.
Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Illinois Army National Guard 1984 thru 2006. 11C mortars for 18 yrs, then 42A personally services. 1 deployment to Europe after 911. When unit was being deployed to Afghanistan, I was told to retire or be medically discharged because of my bad ankle. I broke the right twice while training. 4 surgeries later, I'm still having problems.

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

Illinois Army National Guard 1984 thru 2006. 11C mortars for 18 yrs, then 42A personally services. 1 deployment to Europe after 911. When unit was being deployed to Afghanistan! I was told to retire or be medically discharged because of my bad ankle. I broke the right twice while training. 4 surgeries later, I'm still having problems.

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

Thanks for your service!

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

On 3/10/2017 at 8:40 AM, ALASKA HOOSIER said:

I guess i should add my deployments: Central America (80s), Panama (89), Afghanistan x 2, Iraq x 5 in addition to other stuff.

Central America.. yikes. Panama-- Any airfield seizures ;)? Afghanistan- what provinces? Iraq- Years and FOB/OB? Hopefully not a OP LOL. 

Army. Just hit my 2 year mark -- about to pick up SGT if this month goes how as expected. Would really like to say thanks to all the guys before me, especially the Vietnam guys. We have a lot of support from those in their right minds in the US. 

Was enrolled at WKU -- decided I couldn't wait any longer to join. Was my dream growing up (had older brothers join before me). 

Hoping Alaska and I can catch a few games this year in Anchorage granted I'm still here.   

Any Ranger Tabbed or Regiment guys on here? 

to 2013. Retired MSG. Deployed to Bagram Airfield, Afghanistan 2005 to 2006. Stationed in Germany in the 80's. Been to Guatemala and S.Korea. Full time job was with the Dept of Army. Retired from both. Born and raised in Bloomington and was an excited kid when they hired Coach Knight. Have been an avid fan since.

Sent from my SM-G930V using BtownBanners mobile app

6 hours ago, Hoosier Roots said:

For anyone who has served recently or is serving now, how closely were you able to fallow iu sports or sports in general while you were in active and in deployments?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Where there's internet, there's a way. 

In basic training awhile back my father sent me game recaps & scores. It was so apparent he was against Crean lol. That was Yogi's Junior year. I specifically remember the Duke game, my dad said he wouldn't be surprised if Crean was fired by his next letter (he hoped so). 

For anyone who has served recently or is serving now, how closely were you able to fallow iu sports or sports in general while you were in active and in deployments?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

It's definitely possible. AFN carried a lot of games when I was overseas. I had a pretty good gig and my boss would let me leave early or come in late. If it means that much to you start work a little early, stay a little late, and make sure your boss knows you're a huge fan.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app