Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

WayneFleekHoosier

(2017) PF/C Sterling Manley to UNC

Young Mr. Manley is a very large kid, and seems to be blowing up a bit lately. Legit 6'10" 230; was under the radar because a major leg injury put him on the shelf for an extended period. Read on:

It has been a long six months since Sterling Manley last played in aPickerington Central uniform. In the midst of arguably his best game yet, Manley, who was battling back and forth with Gahanna center Nick Ward, suffered a compound fracture of his right leg in the first half of a tightly-contested rivalry game on Feb. 11. 

In an injury that many compared to former Louisville guard Kevin Ware's gruesome broken leg in the 2013 NCAA tournament, the initial shock of Manley's fracture was severe, however, the 6-foot-10 center would not be defeated. 

On the road to recovery, Manley is on schedule to return to the hardwood for Pickerington Central's first game of the season in early December, and has already been cleared for contact and is nearing a full recovery. 

"I am pretty much on track with everything," Manley told 270 Hoops. "I am full go in all of my workouts and can do contact now. I'm done with rehab and am just hitting it hard with my trainer now."

While a severe lower body injury might hamper the recruitment of a prospect, Manley has experienced the complete opposite in the last six months. Receiving eight offers since the injury, programs such as Nebraska, Xavier and Pittsburgh have extended scholarships to the rising senior center, with the Huskers and Musketeers putting Manley at or near the top of their respective recruiting boards.

At 6-foot-10 with a wingspan estimated to be over seven feet in length, Manley is a massive prospect with an intriguing skill set. Having the ability to extend the floor and knock down mid-range jump shots, Manley is equally equipped in the post, with a soft touch inside while remaining a dominant rebounder and shot blocker. 

Manley averaged 12 points, 7.4 rebounds and three blocks per game last season, earning second team All-OCC honors. A force to be reckoned with while on the floor last season, Manley helped Pickerington Central knock off eventual state champion Westerville South on Jan. 23. 

In the matchup with Ward on Feb. 11, Manley showed the entirety of his skill set in a highly-anticipated battle in the post. And while the rising senior was only able to play a quarter and a half on that night, Manley has not let the injury deter his progress.

"[The injury] has taught me a lot," Manley said. "It really made me realize how much you miss something once it is gone and how it is easy to take something for granted. It has made me humble, but hungry."

With 14 offers in total, Manley, who is the No. 2 prospect in the 270 Hoops 2017 Top 70, is one of Ohio's fastest rising prospects in his class. The most valuable player on a Pickerington Central team that could make a run to the state final four for the first time since 2012, Manley is ready for a breakout season, and most importantly, a complete one.

Just now, NoahW35 said:

Apparently he was at 2015 Hoosier Hysteria. I didn't know we had been in contact for that long.

West Virginia, Wisconsin, Xavier some other schools recruiting him

Could potentially be a good one, and he's pretty close (240 miles) to family at IU. Count me intrigued.

3 minutes ago, ccgeneral said:

"looking smooth" , "up to 6'11". Huggins and Beilein watching also.

‏@ZachFleer270:Sterling Manley looking very smooth in workouts. First time seeing him since his season ending injury in Feb. Grown to 6'11

That description don't read like a backup plan.

That description don't read like a backup plan.

Really? Not a back up plan for West Virginia maybe but for Indiana I'd say it certainly does.

There's only so many 6'11" guys each year. If they can tie their shoes they get a look.

April, Priller, Kasongo. Not that Kasongo is 6'11" but every year big guys are fawned over.

When the top 20 are spoken for the scramble ensues.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Really? Not a back up plan for West Virginia maybe but for Indiana I'd say it certainly does.

There's only so many 6'11" guys each year. If they can tie their shoes they get a look.

April, Priller, Kasongo. Not that Kasongo is 6'11" but every year big guys are fawned over.

When the top 20 are spoken for the scramble ensues.

April and Priller were "no stars".

That's not this guy in any sense.

April and Priller were "no stars".

That's not this guy in any sense.

I realize his injury likely was a big factor here, but he isn't rated on 247.

He's not Noah Vonleh or Thomas Bryant either.

I can't get excited here. It'll be another wait and see with fingers crossed. Some turn out, some don't.